Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixpre gain setup  (Read 10045 times)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Mixpre gain setup
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 07:00:21 AM »
Intresting point from Dsatz.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am using Milab VM44-Link > Mixpre-D > recorder. It's very hard to set levels without having the -20db switch on.
Now, i want these in-line pads, any suggestions on what to get, so i can place in in the chain? (mics have xlr connection). Preferably short en simple.

I use these with my MixPre:

http://naiant.com/naiant/inlinedevices.html
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong. I am using Milab VM44-Link > Mixpre-D > recorder. It's very hard to set levels without having the -20db switch on.
Now, i want these in-line pads, any suggestions on what to get, so i can place in in the chain? (mics have xlr connection). Preferably short en simple.

Thanks for pointing, I assume you have the MPD Inline Attenuator?

But what is mend by this? (I can ask Jon, I know..)

"Line level pads have input impedance of 7KΩ or higher and are thus not intended for use between microphone and amplifiers, but rather between line level outputs and inputs."

This does not effect anything?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "this does not effect anything", but Jon's note means you should choose the right kind of the attenuators he offers for the application you have.  If you want to attenuate mic level signals, choose the mic level attenuators, and if you want to attenuate line levels, choose the line level pads.

If you choose the right attenuator type for your application, it should not adversely effect things, but I think Jon's note is implying you could get unwanted effects if you choose and use a line level pad when you want to attenuate mic signals, or vice versa.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
I am not sure I understand this correctly:

Can someone tell me the difference between these 2 items jon sells and when is the best time to use them: (and with the mixpre)

1 ) GTA Inline impedance converter
Transformer-balanced 200KΩ:1KΩ impedance converters matches instrument input to microphone level output.  Balanced or unbalanced 1/4" TRS input to balanced XLR output.

Also available, 10KΩ:500Ω 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS (balanced or unbalanced input and output) for line to instrument level matching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 ) MPD Inline Attenuator

Choose 12dB, 18dB, and 24dB microphone level pads, 12dB line matching pad (+4dBu to -10dBV), 24dB line, 40dB line to mic level pad, 620Ω load, or polarity inverter.

Microphone level pads are intended for use with condenser microphones on loud sources.  Microphone level pads have an input impedance of approximately 2KΩ and will thus pass phantom power with minimum voltage loss.

Line level pads have input impedance of 7KΩ or higher and are thus not intended for use between microphone and amplifiers, but rather between line level outputs and inputs.

The special 620Ω load MPD reduces effective input impedance of microphone amplifier for tonal options with dynamic microphones (620Ω load not recommended for use with condenser microphones).

The MPD may be ordered as an XLR adaptor (shown), XLR cable, TRS (female jack) to XLR (male) adaptor, or XLR (male or female) to TRS (male plug) cable.

Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »

Thanks for pointing, I assume you have the MPD Inline Attenuator?

But what is mend by this? (I can ask Jon, I know..)

"Line level pads have input impedance of 7KΩ or higher and are thus not intended for use between microphone and amplifiers, but rather between line level outputs and inputs."

This does not effect anything?

Sorry, yes. I meant the mic attenuators. I use the -24, but -18 is probably enough.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
I am not sure I understand this correctly:

Can someone tell me the difference between these 2 items jon sells and when is the best time to use them: (and with the mixpre)

The impedance converter is for plugging in (for example) a high impedance guitar output to a mic input that is expecting a low impedance.  I don't think these are anything a typical taper would need.

The attenuator pads depend on application -- which will define how much attenuation you need and whether you want a mic pad or a line pad.  For the mixpre, you might want a mic pad on the input side of the mixpre if it provides too much minimal gain.  Although, if the mixpre itself is fine with the max mic signal on its mic input and doesn't have any internal clipping or brickwalling on the output, you could use a line pad on its output.

For instance, if you have too hot of an output on your external preamp for your recorder to accept on its line input (say the Tascam DR2d, that only takes +6dbu on its line input), you could use a line attenuator between the preamp (output side) and recorder.  If you want to use all 4ch of the Tascam DR2d and connect your external preamp to the mic input of the DR2d, you could use a line pad in that application.  Though you might want to contact Jon in this instance, because you really want to go from a line signal to a mic-level signal.  Jon offers a pad for this, but it is a -40db pad -- you might want a line>mic attenuator pad with a lesser amount of attenuation.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
Update:

The gain is ok now (with Neumann 184's)... I have to set the levels at 1 or 2, but the red light does not nessecarily say it's clipping, it's 'close' to clipping... still, as Digigal said, a mic trim would be a good addition to this amp.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
Chimney, do you really think it is ok now? I mean, i can use my milabs with the mixpre too (without -20db setting in use), and like you i can set it to 1 or 2 on the mixpre. In other words, very very low. Yes, it works but it feels like taking a lot of risk as with the slightest movement of the knob, the signal goes above 0. (Over!)

I need something between the mic and mixpre, so i can set levels a bit better. I have not found any problems on the recorder side. Use the tone oscillator to set maximum level (-20db on the screen, which is about 4.5 on the wheel), some tape over it and off you go. Only keep eye on the recorder.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 01:16:35 PM »
Chimney, do you really think it is ok now? I mean, i can use my milabs with the mixpre too (without -20db setting in use), and like you i can set it to 1 or 2 on the mixpre. In other words, very very low. Yes, it works but it feels like taking a lot of risk as with the slightest movement of the knob, the signal goes above 0. (Over!)

I need something between the mic and mixpre, so i can set levels a bit better. I have not found any problems on the recorder side. Use the tone oscillator to set maximum level (-20db on the screen, which is about 4.5 on the wheel), some tape over it and off you go. Only keep eye on the recorder.

It could certainly use a trim for rock shows, and possibly some sort of dual level adjustments and a 'lock' or 'hold' feature.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »

It could certainly use a trim for rock shows, and possibly some sort of dual level adjustments and a 'lock' or 'hold' feature.

The MixPre-D has input linking...

Input Linking
Stereo linking allows Inputs 1 and 2 to be controlled as a single, stereo input. This is useful when stereo microphones or stereo line level signals are used with the MixPre-D. There are two modes of operation for stereo linking, X/Y link and MS stereo.
The Linked status of the inputs is indicated by the Link LEDs on the front panel. When both LEDs are off, the inputs are not linked. To cycle between linking configurations hold down both Input 1 and Input 2 Buttons and slide the Slate Switch to the Slate position.

X/Y Stereo Link
When in X/Y stereo link operation, Input 2’s Pan Switch controls the stereo image (L: Input 1 = Left, Input 2 = Right; C: Both Inputs in both channels; R: Input 1 = Right, Input 2 = Left). Channel 2’s Fader controls the overall level of the stereo pair. Input 1 and 2’s High-pass Filters continue to act independently of each other. When linked, Input 1 and 2’s Limiters are also linked.

MS Stereo Linking
When MS stereo linking is selected in the Setup Menu, Inputs 1 and 2 are linked as an MS (Mid-Side) stereo pair. Connect the mid signal (unidirectional / cardioid microphone) to Input 1 and the side signal (bi-directional microphone) to input 2.
Input 2’s Level Control adjusts the overall gain of the MS stereo pair. Input 1’s Level Control adjusts the “spread”, or width of the stereo image. Input 2’s Pan Switch controls the polarity of the side signal (L: Normal, R: Inverted). Reverse polarity to flip the stereo image between right and left. The center (“C”) position of Input 2’s Pan Switch mutes the side signal; only the mid signal is present, resulting in a mono signal. Input 1’s Pan Switch is disabled in MS linking mode. Input 1 and 2’s
High-pass Filters continue to act independently of each other.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:25:57 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com