Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to covert MTS video (Sony Camcorder) to formant that i can use to burn DVD  (Read 3194 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I don't record video all that often, mostly record with audio recorders. I was asked to video a local blues concert which came out really nice. I have loaded to computer but due to being MTS I can't burn to disc. Is there a free program that will convert from MTS to formant that I can burn to disc? I really don't want to have to pay for a program that I may use once or twice a year.
I know that there are a few programs that you can load free demo that seems like they would work but not sure which to try?
I am hesitant to upload any of these due to several years ago uploading a free photo editing program that required you to cancel after trail period. This ended up almost impossible, Emails sent back undelivered, finally had to call number and after what seemed hours was able to talk to someone who canceled free demo.  Any help would be greatly Appreciated. Love to be able to get done before all my friend who played start calling asking for a copy ;) 

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
DVD Flick is a very simple to use, open source (free) program that will make a DVD out of almost any video file.

https://www.dvdflick.net/download.php
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
I would not want to have DVD's be the end product of digital video transfer, or if they are the intended end product, I think the original raw files should be archived off the camera.
Sorry I can't think of a signal chain to do that off the top of my head.
First question is: Do you prefer Mac or PC?

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
Handbrake is a great universal video conversion program. MTS is AVCD format.

DVD is still a good end product for people who might not be up on how to watch files on their TV via USB or some file sharing service, assuming they still have a DVD player.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks for all replies. Have about 15 musicians / friends who want copies so just need to be able to make a bunch DVDs from MTS files.
Whenever I'm in need of help this site always seems to come up with answers, Thank you all

Offline morst

Handbrake is a great universal video conversion program. MTS is AVCD format.

DVD is still a good end product for people who might not be up on how to watch files on their TV via USB or some file sharing service, assuming they still have a DVD player.
Agree that Handbrake is super convenient and a very powerful format converter. I've only run it on mac but it appears to run under Windows 10 also.

Sounds like DVD's will be the handy distribution format.

Offline guitard

Another option is to simply upload the video to Youtube.  If the band would like to keep it private, just upload it as "unlisted," and then send the link to the group of friends. 

Advantages: assuming you have a way to upload to Youtube - essentially there is no cost, requires no additional equipment, and your friends can easily watch the video on computer, phone, or tv).  Not to mention, if they wish to share the video, they don't have to have a DVD burner and blank DVDs, they just need to send their friend the link.  Lastly - they can also easily post the Youtube link on their FB page. 

Wait ... one other advantage - DVDs and standard definition.  If you upload to Youtube, you can keep the original resolution (I assume it's HD or 4K).

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline morst

Wait ... one other advantage - DVDs and standard definition.  If you upload to Youtube, you can keep the original resolution (I assume it's HD or 4K).
Youtube does keep screen size but reduces files in quality so they are much smaller than originals. I like the unlisted feature and use it a lot.
If this can be public, you can upload videos to archive.org under community video.

Offline guitard

Youtube does keep screen size but reduces files in quality so they are much smaller than originals.

I agree that Youtube reduces the quality of a video, but to my eyes, videos I upload to Youtube in 4K and watch on a 4K tv look as good or better than blu-ray discs (1080p) I make from the same video and play on the same tv.

Regarding file size ... using 4K Downloader, I just downloaded a one and half hour 4K video that was 35GB in size when I uploaded it to Youtube. the highest quality version of this video I was able to download from Youtube with 4K Downloader was a 12GB mkv file.  It looks marginally lower in quality on my computer screen (didn't check how it looks on my tv).  But considering it's 1/3 the size of the original file, it looks really good.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
check out ffmpeg if you are comfortable using command line on a PC. It should easily handle MTS file conversion
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline guitard

check out ffmpeg if you are comfortable using command line on a PC. It should easily handle MTS file conversion

There is an open source program called Handbrake that is essentially ffmpeg with a GUI.

https://handbrake.fr/

HandBrake is a open-source tool, built by volunteers, for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.

Reasons you’ll love HandBrake:

Convert video from nearly any format
Free and Open Source
Multi-Platform (Windows, Mac and Linux)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com