Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom H6  (Read 61271 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Zoom H6
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
After using the H6 this past weekend, I am happy to report that this recorder was extremely simple and straight forward to use.  I had run the X/Y mic's that come with the H6 as to which I can now say that I will be happy to replace them as soon as the extra XLR input module ships.  In addition to the X/Y mic's I also ran my Miktek C5's into an SD MixPre-D> into the #3-4 inputs and a pair of Audix M1255B's into the #1-2 inputs.

Overall mixing is extremely easy with this recorder.  One thing I would suggest to any user of this devise is that a larger capacity HD card be used, as I had used an 8Gig card but at 24/96 it pretty much ate up the space on the card as to which I wanted to utilize the onboard mix function of the H6, but had no remaining card space to do so and execute.  Dropping the RAW tracks into Cubase or even Nero was a simple step and allowed me to do what was needed on the mix end, as my 1st priority was to kill the L/R X/Y Mic recording tracks on what is called L-R and use only the Miktek and Audix feeds.  I can see a use for the X/Y Mic's they give you for other uses such as lectures, but not the best for capturing live music.

The noise levels had been very quiet and I must say I was impressed by that as I had feared that it may have an inherited noise issue in reading notes of past recorders at such an inexpensive price.

Overall, it was a good experience with this recorder and I am extremely doubtful I will run my old R4 anymore with the H6 now in the arsenal of recorders.  My Marantz PMD661/Sound Device MixPre-D setup will remain my workhorse when running direct dig soundboards only, but for the use of mic's alone, I am very pleased with the results I had.

Using the external power from my Tekkeon also worked well!
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:44 PM »
I went ahead and ordered one last week and it arrived today. After setting it up and going thru the menu, I found it relatively easy to use.
The only complaint I have is that the volume control knobs move way too easily. I ended up using tape on them after dialing in each channel.   :-\
I don't plan on using the modular mics that came with it, or the phantom power option. I ordered the extra XLR input module to add 2 more channels, if needed.
I just wanted a recorder that didn't utilize mini plug inputs, or running Line In on a Mic In the way my DR-2d does.
I won't have a chance to run it in the field until friday when I go to YMSB... I'll keep you all posted.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
Got mine today. Played around with it a bit using my home wireless ear monitor system and compared inputs.

1. The 1/8" line-in on the xy cap seems to be at normal/matching volume as the trs inputs, so not super sensitive like the zoom h4n.
2. The device itself is pretty light, as a majority of the weight is actually in the detachable mic piece. About the same size as the zoom h4n, maybe a smidge bigger.
3. xlr/trs inputs on the side, so will have to get right angle adapters to minimize size footprint while stealthing.
4. No latency issues between the inputs, which the zoom h4n had (always super annoying for the h4n).
6. Can create an individual monitor mix that is independent of the recording gain. However, you can't adjust this while recording.
7. No solo feature
8. Knobs are somewhat easy to knock, will have to tape down while taping.
9. Screen is angled down, so will have to play with positioning for stealth adjustments. Bright LCD screen.

I am going to write to Zoom and see if they can't make some tweaks for the firmware update. I think a setting where holding down the input number triggering a solo (similar to the 680) would be very useful, as would adjustable monitor mixing while recording.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
I'd like if putting the device in hold would prevent bumping the knobs from changing the volume. They could possibly make it a setting whether turning hold on does this or not.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »
http://juicedlink.com/blog/2013/08/zoom-h6-reviewtestscomparison-to-tascam-dr-60d-and-riggy-micro/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+juicedlink%2FfDTA+%28juicedLink%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail/

First decent comparo review so far.
Didn't realize the XLRs were non-locking  :(
The DR60D is hugeeee and has terrible battery life w/ powered mics and stepped audio increments  :o
Hope the H6's screen can be turned off...they should have used a backlit e-paper display which is fairly inexpensive now.
Backup (lower DB signal) is only recorded w/ the external XLR module (not internal)....huh???  Weird.  Who would design it like that?  ???

Good news is that the H4 background noise is gone   :D :D :D
Besides the backup track issue and non-locking XLR connectors, it looks like they did a good job with it.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2013, 12:57:37 AM »
http://juicedlink.com/blog/2013/08/zoom-h6-reviewtestscomparison-to-tascam-dr-60d-and-riggy-micro/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+juicedlink%2FfDTA+%28juicedLink%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail/

First decent comparo review so far.
Didn't realize the XLRs were non-locking  :(
The DR60D is hugeeee and has terrible battery life w/ powered mics and stepped audio increments  :o
Hope the H6's screen can be turned off...they should have used a backlit e-paper display which is fairly inexpensive now.
Backup (lower DB signal) is only recorded w/ the external XLR module (not internal)....huh???  Weird.  Who would design it like that?  ???

Good news is that the H4 background noise is gone   :D :D :D
Besides the backup track issue and non-locking XLR connectors, it looks like they did a good job with it.

You can set it to save power and turn off the screen. The back up will probably be added to the other channels with a firmware update, if enough people ask like the seamless breaks were for the h2 a couple years ago.  I powered it with an energizer xpal battery pack and had backup AA in the recorder in case the battery died, ran 3+ hours no problem at the tedeschi trucks/black crowes show. On the way home I listened headphone out to my car stereo powered only with the AAs about 2+ hours drive and then another 2 hours through it's internal speaker when i got home and the AAs are at a full indicator still. I'll be doing a test with my speaker later to see how long it will last with 4 mics phantom powered recording my speakers at home this week.  I'm going to buy some 64 GB sd cards from costco for peachfest.

another tid bit. You can link the stereo tracks by pressing channel 1&2 and 3&4.

Here is the ttb and tbc nak300 CP3/Cp1>zoom H6 source

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=566123

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=566104
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
Another thing is it can connect an iPad through a camera connection kit, probably an iphone too with adapters. Makes streaming easier.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »
The Juicedlink review is interesting but it has to be pointed out that the reviewer is selling a product which is competitive with the devices under review.  There were several points where I found myself in disagreement with some comments but I didn't take note of them so I'll say no more. 

In general I still feel that the H6 isn't really intended for camera use.  I know you can use it that way, and Zoom are happy for people to buy it for that purpose, but it's a spin-off application for the device, not a core purpose, imho.  The DR60D on the other hand is a camera-oriented device which could be used for other purposes if you wanted.

Offline kenyee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »
You can set it to save power and turn off the screen. The back up will probably be added to the other channels with a firmware

Thanks for confirming the screen can be configured for autoshutoff.
I'm still not sure a lower volume track can be saved w/ a firmware update.  You'd need hardware support for it somehow to get that lower volume data.  Unless the hardware is there but they didn't have time to write the code for it...

Offline Mdifilm

• Taperssection Newbie
  • just an indie filmmaker
    • MDI
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here, so be gentle with me... I'm just an indie filmmaker that pays a lot of attention on audio, recently I got myself a Tascam DR-60D (loving it) and just now received the Zoom H6, I did notice that for practicality wise, using the Tascam for a one man crew shoot would work best while the Zoom H6 is not feasible to access or read the screen when it is mounted above the camera. (Unless you use one of the magic arm).

I plan to keep both cause I have use for both in my environment: Tascam for most audio recording with DSLRs shoots while the Zoom for our on location radio recording needs or for conference meetings and such.

Now going to go and play with H6...

UPDATE: did two tests. One on practicality or a one man dslr shooter, tascam dr-60d is much better... Then a test in not so ideal film shoot environment. The Zoom resulted with more audible noise than the Tascam...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:30:51 AM by Mdifilm »
just a filmmaker living in Cleveland and making it out there :)

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
another tid bit. You can link the stereo tracks by pressing channel 1&2 and 3&4.

Would you please explain what this means?

Thanks!
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »

Thanks!

you can create stereo files instead of mono poly files
you can also just do that with .wav editing software in post of course

EDIT:
the main advantage to not running stereo files is the 2 gig file limit of mono poly files is twice as long as stereo files
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:10:05 AM by darby »

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 03:58:38 AM »

Thanks!

you can create stereo files instead of mono poly files
you can also just do that with .wav editing software in post of course

EDIT:
the main advantage to not running stereo files is the 2 gig file limit of mono poly files is twice as long as stereo files

Although it is seamless recording, so once the limit is reached a new recording starts immediately. Running either way is good and simple.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here, so be gentle with me... I'm just an indie filmmaker that pays a lot of attention on audio, recently I got myself a Tascam DR-60D (loving it) and just now received the Zoom H6, I did notice that for practicality wise, using the Tascam for a one man crew shoot would work best while the Zoom H6 is not feasible to access or read the screen when it is mounted above the camera. (Unless you use one of the magic arm).

I plan to keep both cause I have use for both in my environment: Tascam for most audio recording with DSLRs shoots while the Zoom for our on location radio recording needs or for conference meetings and such.

Now going to go and play with H6...

UPDATE: did two tests. One on practicality or a one man dslr shooter, tascam dr-60d is much better... Then a test in not so ideal film shoot environment. The Zoom resulted with more audible noise than the Tascam...

Could you give us a bit more detail on your configurations? I've been very impressed with the low noise of my H6.

Here are some acoustic guitar shootout clips including a PCM-D50 and a couple of other configurations: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/08/15/zoom-h6-acoustic-guitar-shootout/

Fran

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
I've done some more basic evaluation of the H6. I did a battery run-down test using 4 fresh brand name AAs. With a Rode NT4 and a pair of Shure KSM141s using P48 along with the XY mic module the H6 recorded 6 tracks for about 4 and a half hours.

Then I turned to the MS mic module, and I'm not impressed. In comparison to the NT4 the MSH-6 module is quite noisy. In comparison to the XYH-6 module it's noisy too. I'm actually impressed with the XY self-noise, but definitely not with the MS.

I did a blog post with various blather and a set of comparison clips, some with low level test tones, some with acoustic guitar. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2013/08/21/zoom-h6-ms-noise-issue/

Fran

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.168 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com