Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Power Recommendations for Apogee Duet 2 (5V 1.5a)  (Read 14774 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
Portable Power Recommendations for Apogee Duet 2 (5V 1.5a)
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
I'm considering purchasing an Apogee Duet 2 for iOS.  I asked Apogee if there is a product that can power the Duet 2 and they said they have no particular product to recommend but people are successfully using this in the field.  Furthermore, it uses a regulated 5V 1.5a and higher could damage and lower could shut down.  Of course I would be using phantom power and need 3 hrs minimum.  I think the Duet 2 will charge the iOS device when using DC power.  I am not 100% sold on using this in the field regularly, I used the first Duet w/ a Macbook Pro for a while, I like the results but I'm done using a laptop in most situations for live recording.    Can anyone recommend a product?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:02:32 PM by Chimney Top »

Chimney Top

Re: Portable Power Recommendations for Apogee Duet 2 (5V 1.5a)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
I presume they meant higher voltage, not current.  There are plenty of 5V options that can supply at least 1.5A.

Yes, he said higher voltage.  The Duet 2, I think, is powered by both DC input and USB.  So there should be plenty of options.

Thank you

DF81

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
The Duet 2 accepts USB power, but in that case you could not connect to a mobile device (iPhone, iPad, etc.).  So the power supply input is the only option for field use.  Can someone (Jon?) recommend a power supply for these spec's?

"Input: AC 100-240v, 50-60Hz, 0.6A
Output: DC 5V, 3.0A

It has a center positive polarity."

I've researched some and have found plenty of USB options, but nothing for the power input.

Thanks

DF81

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
You can use a USB wall charger or battery supply, just plug the Duet into one input and the host into the other (the ports will be in parallel).  Your host will either have to operate as a host or USB OTG (with the appropriate OTG cable).  It shouldn't use anything close to 3A if it can run off of USB power; 500mA is the limit.

sorry, i'm not quite sure what you are saying about the USB power supply.  The Duet has a DC input and USB port.  The Duet connects to MAC using the USB port and a MAC can power the Duet via USB, but when using the Duet with an iOS device the Duet's USB port is used to connect to the iOS device (USB > Apple 30 pin or Apple Lightning connector/also powers the iOS device), so for field use the only option for portable power is the DC input.  Are you saying I could use a USB power pack with a converter tip?

It would be great if the next generation had an internal rechargeable battery.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:24:56 PM by DF81 »

DF81

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:52:50 AM »
No, I am suggesting you use something like this:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-pack/

Plug both devices into that.  Now I don't know how Apple handles the USB protocol when it finds power the USB rail; a USB OTG device should be able to successfully negotiate that but the Apple connectors are proprietary so I don't know what they do.

USB battery to adaptor tip should also work though.

Ok, thanks.

I'm considering something like this: http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-Limefuel-L156X/dp/B00BZDK3XK/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1399614933&sr=1-1&keywords=limefuel+15600

15600mah, 5v 2a

However, I am concerned after reading some of the reviews that the battery was only outputting about half (or less) amps... in that case it's certainly not reliable for powering a preamp for 2-3 hrs.  Also, the USB port is useless unless I can use a DC converter tip.  The iPhone 30pin/lightning input is being used by the Duet 2 so the Duet 2 powers the iPhone.  I would only need one port anyway, and that needs to be DC unless I can use a converter tip.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:57:17 AM by DF81 »

DF81

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
You should check the Duet specification to see if it supplies power from its USB port when the external jack is used for power.  It might simply operate as a device and not use any bus power (which the iPhone can't supply).  Everything would work in that case, but the battery wouldn't supply the iPhone.

Also I should add that if you go the dual USB output from battery, the battery would need to treat both USB ports as a hub.  Most chargers do this, I don't know about batteries.

Correct. 

The Duet charges the iPhone (via usb cable) when the dc power adapter is plugged into the Duet.

This is not the case when the Duet is used with a Mac computer.  The computer can power the Duet (no external power adapter necessary for the Duet), but iPhone cannot power the Duet, the Duet powers the iPhone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com