Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?  (Read 9285 times)

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned it in my post, but it does seems to leave you hanging.  As far as the rig, everything was fine.  The only issue was poor planning on my part.  24/96 eats copious amounts of storage space.  I had to pull the Android out of the chain and spend 15 minutes or more transferring files to external storage to make space for the remaining sets.  Missed the first few songs of a set because of this.  The Nexus 5 has no provisions for an extra SD card for storage unlike most other Android devices.

On the plus side, the android uses ext4 partitioning internally and has no 4GiB limit on files.  One of my recordings ended up at just under 6GiB and had to be imported as raw PCM to work with audacity (skipping 44 bytes of header).  In retrospect, I should have chosen the flac option for storage over wav in the app.

Thanks.  That's cool, I'm digging the concept.  I would want my rig just a bit more simple and compact, if possible.  I'm currently running 1/8" stereo batt box with my card mics.  Hadn't really thought about it till revisiting my rig, that it might be time to upgrade to an outboard A/D converter.....  Then I could do 24/96.  On the Iriver, I can do optical line in, which is cool......

On that rig, are you using outboard A/D converter?  If so, do you control mic levels on the preamp or on the phone?  I guess I'm a little ignorant of that sort of set up.

So many options!!

I probably didn't need the Mackie preamp at all.  I was barely running any gain on the preamp and the IPGA preamp in the Transit USB was set at zero (bypass) in this case.  The sound levels were pretty high and I was running 20dB of attenuation at the input with AT8202s.  I think I could have just used the internal software gain controls of the Transit (set in the "mixer" tab of the app) and had sufficient control of the signal.  The A/D converter, of course, was in the Transit USB device.  It is one of the only ones I've tested that will run 24/96 in generic USB Audio 1.0 spec'd devices.  It uses the internal A/D of AKM4584 chip which looks pretty good on paper, but forcing it through a synchronous USB interface is bound to cause some minor clock issues, but hey, this ain't a professional recording studio.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:55:32 PM by Gene Poole »

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Yeah, I don't really have any experience with USB audio at all....  Have a Mackie Onyx 1640i FireWire in my home studio.  I'm familiar with latency as far as that goes, but I'm still mostly an analog guy.

Thanks for your info though.  Appreciated.
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com