Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital input guide?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Digital input guide?
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
Can someone point me toward a good explanation of the different types of digital inputs, what is likely to be found at most venues, and if you can switch stuff around with adapters?

I have used spdif, but don't know much about AES and if you can convert from one to the other. Tried doing some research online, but could not find a good explanation for taping purposes. Who wants to school this newbie?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Digital input guide?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
From a stupid taper's perspective:

1) Get a Hosa ODL-276A (24bit model).  This will let you convert any TOSLINK signal to SPDIF, and runs on a 9vDC battery.  Also allows conversion from SPDIF to TOSLINK.
2) Get a AES > SPDIF cable made by someone here.

Everything technical is Greek to me...  But getting these items will let you accept pretty much any Digi signal and convert to any other kind you want...  Hosa also makes various other DFC (Digital Format Convertors)...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline yltfan

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
What's the most common output on soundboards these days? I see SPDIF on a bunch of boards around town (which is nice for my DR-680), but if I upgrade to an R-88 or HS-P82, I will only have AES inputs. Will most soundboards have AES?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
I don't think I would spend much too much time worrying about the digital outputs on mixing consoles. Instead I think it's best to concentrate on having in the gear bag what is needed in terms of cables and connectors to take an analog patch.

Most digital soundboards with digital outputs have to have those outputs "assigned" by the FOH engineer to even work, just like the analog outputs. The soundman may have his own laptop plugged into them, but if not they are the last thing on his mind.

If the levels are too low from the digital outputs on the sbd you have to either live with it or interrupt the soundman to ask for him to turn his attention to the output level of the digital out.

That interchange does not often go well, unless you personally know the guy. Taking analog outs allows you to set your own levels, something you almost always will want to control.

If you still want to be prepared, you will need an XLR to RCA digital cable made to convert the 110ohm signal to 75ohm, which are not uncommon. The example in the attached photos is a TAF3 to RCA I built for my buddy Matt (Nakguy) for his DR-680.

Notice the small resistor that bridges two of the pins so the device will "see" the correct impedence. Having a cable like that will allow you to take AES/EBU down to spdif so you can use the input on your Tascam no problem.

Good luck !!!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline yltfan

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
^ That all makes sense, except there have been a few times when the digital output was the only one available, or the digital in on my deck was the only option. I just want to have it as an option, and since I have been looking at the HS-P82 and R-88 (or hopefully a new 8 channel deck with remote smartphone controls), I want to understand how those options all work.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »
FWIW, DigiGal on here can make an AES>S/PDIF cable for you for under $40. I got one for those just in case I need it moments.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com