Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I've been gone so long i'm a newb again, rebuilding my rig questions.  (Read 8056 times)

Offline drkstar10

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hello all,

I've decided 2015 would be a great year to take my midlife crisis. I spent the last fifteen years with my nose to the grindstone and have reached the point I can sell my company, semi retire and have some fun again. I was going to get a Corvette, a couple of strippers and some blow, but thought it would be fun get back into taping shows again instead. My wife wholeheartedly agreed with choice number two.

I haven't taped a show in quite a while(2001) and I want to upgrade my setup to four microphones. I was thinking of running a pair of shotguns and a pair of cards and recording to a four track recorder to be mixed at home.

I still have all my old stuff. KM-184>v2>ad2k+>da-P1. The Tascam is a paperweight these days it seems. I liked the sound of the Neumanns and was thinking of getting Nak cm-300/cp4 mics to add to them.

So much new equipment has come out (and been discontinued) i am having trouble trying to figure out the best way to set up the rig. I was thinking of just picking up a used v2 and a 744. I have read some pretty good reviews of the 744's a/d on here.

Is anybody making 4 channel pre's or a/d converters. I need something I can carry around myself fairly easily and want to keep the weight down.

If I use an outboard pre>a/d it seems like the 744 is overkill and all I need is a "bit bucket"

my budget is pretty good (15k) ( I was contemplating tlm-170r's)

Anybody have thoughts on?

Shotguns (better choice than the Naks, I would prefer phanthom power over batteries)
Other mics to pair with the shotguns (tlm-170 vs the km-184)
A nice manageable 4 channel pre>a/d>recorder

Thanks,

Mark

Mic's.    U89i, CM300 (Frankenaks),MK4, mk41, mk4v>kcy>PFA,
Pre's and A/D.    V2, rmod2k1, Aerco mp-2, ad2k+
Decks   788t-SSD, MixPre 6, m-10,

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: I've been gone so long i'm a newb again, rebuilding my rig questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:32:34 AM »
I hope you set aside some $ to pay your capital gains tax. 

Never owned a SD, but from what I've read, you don't really need a preamp with a 744-a very nice, all in one package.  Simplifies things so you can concentrate on your midlife crisis.

;D 

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
With that budget I would just get a Sonosax SX-R4 or another super high end deck (SD788, etc) with at least four pres, dump the stuff other than your Neumanns, and buy those 170s you want. That will make a simple, incredible sounding rig. I'd skip the Nak guns personally as guns are kind of "out of favor" now and technically not really optimal for taping (I refer to DSatz's comments), as well as way inferior to the other stuff you are talking about getting. Welcome back!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
Are you sure you only want to do 4 channels? 2 sets of mics go well with a SBD feed. Have you considered the SD 788 or the Tascam HS-P82 and a new pair of mics? Don't know if you'd need much else besides batteries, etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:40:41 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
I agree with Acidjack, unless you're taping in the back of an arena you won't need guns, more specifically I'd venture to say if you compared your gun source to the Neumann sources you'd hear the differences immediately probably negated the use of the guns next time you taped.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
If I had the $$ I'd get an SD 788 and like the others have said stick with the higher end mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:46 PM »
Forget the car, if you drive it, it will just wear out or get wrecked.  I vote for the strippers and blow instead.  Well, OK, maybe a trip to a tourist trap luau in Hawaii where they keep the Mai Tais coming.  Close enough  :-\

The Mrs. would get at least half his stuff plus her attorneys fees.   

Yeah, buy a 788 or two. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
Forget the car, if you drive it, it will just wear out or get wrecked.  I vote for the strippers and blow instead.
???
Do the strippers supply the blow?
If yes, what exactly do you mean by bl-ohhhh never mind  >:D
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline drkstar10

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »
To all,

Thanks for the input. I'm glad you all are agreeing with the 170's. I wanted a pair for years but could never justify buying them when they would only come out once or twice a year. They seem to have a great sound even in small clubs set to hyper.

I looked at the Sonosax  SX-R4 and it looks great but is not available anymore. The 788 looks awesome even with the lower sampling frequency. At my age (47) I doubt I would hear the difference anyway. I see there are 2 788's the 788T and the 788t SSD. The SSD looks like the one for me with the larger storage capacity and the solid state drive. I see B and H has the Neumanns and the 788. Anybody know of a place with a better price.

I was glad to see Ecocharge is still in business. Are they still the go to source for SLA power. Is someone making lithium ion battery packs?

Thanks everyone

Mark

Mic's.    U89i, CM300 (Frankenaks),MK4, mk41, mk4v>kcy>PFA,
Pre's and A/D.    V2, rmod2k1, Aerco mp-2, ad2k+
Decks   788t-SSD, MixPre 6, m-10,

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
Mark, unfortunately EcoCharge is out of business, even though their website is still up. There are other battery options available though that are much lighter. You will find much debate over what to use. Naztech, Tekkeon, BatteryGeeks, and so on. You need to buy the rig you want and then buy battery solutions to fit. I'm not sure the best option for a SD 788 but I'm sure others have a recommendation. Welcome back to the game!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
If I had the $$ I'd get an SD 788 and like the others have said stick with the higher end mics.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
Sound Devices is great, but most people that have 744s use outboard preamps in front because they prefer the sound of their external pres.  If I'm spending 6 grand on a recorder, I'd better not have to think about preamps.  With that budget, I'd buy one of these before buying a Sound Devices because of the preamps... 

http://www.aeta-audio.com/index.php?id=4minx

Alternatively, I agree with Acidjack about Sonosax SX-R4 as a great choice, but as you've discovered they aren't available.  I've read that its replacement is coming out soon.  Unless you're looking to buy immediately, you might want to inquire with Sonosax when they're going to start shipping.

Finally, the TLM-170 are great mics for sure and if you're into those, I don't want to sway your opinion, but if I was starting from scratch with your budget, I'd strongly consider the Schoeps collette series.  Top notch sound, but also the array of products avaiable in the line is the best in the industry and Schoeps customer service is the best.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Sound Devices is great, but most people that have 744s use outboard preamps in front because they prefer the sound of their external pres.  If I'm spending 6 grand on a recorder, I'd better not have to think about preamps.  With that budget, I'd buy one of these before buying a Sound Devices because of the preamps... 

http://www.aeta-audio.com/index.php?id=4minx

Alternatively, I agree with Acidjack about Sonosax SX-R4 as a great choice, but as you've discovered they aren't available.  I've read that its replacement is coming out soon.  Unless you're looking to buy immediately, you might want to inquire with Sonosax when they're going to start shipping.

Finally, the TLM-170 are great mics for sure and if you're into those, I don't want to sway your opinion, but if I was starting from scratch with your budget, I'd strongly consider the Schoeps collette series.  Top notch sound, but also the array of products avaiable in the line is the best in the industry and Schoeps customer service is the best.

I love my AETA 4MinX and bought it because I preferred the sound of the AETA PSP-3 pre sound over the sound of Sound Devices and Sonosax pre's. I've owned and loved both Sonosax and Sound Devices in the past and it's just my preference. The 4MinX is about $5k with 8 channels and no timecode.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Stu's response compels me to clarify my previous comment...the pres on the Sound Devices are great and I'd be very happy with them.  But like he says there's a couple of preamps with a sound I prefer, so if I were to spend that amount of money I'd consider going for something that gives me that sound onboard with the all-in-one. 

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
The 788 has different preamps than the rest of the SD 7xx line, and anecdotally according to many who have used them they are superior.

In the end, it's tough to get any sort of consensus around here on just about anything.

You can probably rent most of the high end gear and considering the cost it's probably worth it to give it a spin yourself.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com