Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices 722 Not Connecting to Computer via Firewire  (Read 7732 times)

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
Sound Devices 722 Not Connecting to Computer via Firewire
« on: January 24, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
There is possibly a thread about this already, but a search turned up zero results.

I've been using a 722 for a couple months and have not had any issues transferring files via firewire to Mac.  However, today I tried it and it's not working at all.

Any possible solutions or does this need service?

Thanks

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices 722 Not Connecting to Computer via Firewire
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 02:57:40 PM »
Firewire ports are very sensitive to hot plugging and can burn out sometimes when doing this - I have had this happen on numerous external devices over the years

You have to completely unmount the device and make sure the computer still doesn't see it before unplugging - even if you have to power down the computer (worst case)

I would try a different computer or FireWire port (even if at a friends place) to make sure it's the 722 but I would bet the port on the 722 has gone south

FireWire was a great concept but problems like this one make me happy usb came out on top - I have no experience with thunderbolt so I cannot comment
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
For my FireWire Focusrite interface, the manual actually specifies that the computer must be fully powered down when plugging / unplugging.  I'm not sure if they're being overly cautious or it really is that sensitive, but I don't want to make it angry so I do what I'm told. :-\
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »
Sound Devices will mention checking the menu option for the 722 Firewire port - set for computer connection, or to run hard drives. However, I have 2 722's at work, and there are just some combinations of computer/OS that will not work reliably, and SD generally can't help. I have one old Mac Pro that worked fine on OS10.5.x, but refused to mount reliably with OS10.6.8. A MacbookPro with OS10.6.8 works just fine. I've actually given up on Firewire transfers with 722s, and always record to HD and CF card, and just transfer with the CF cards.

While FW was supposed to be designed to be hot swappable, there have apparently been enough cases of burning out some FW ports that many manufacturers recommend power down before altering a FW connection.

DF81

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:24:34 PM »
Ok. Thank you.  I will try it on another computer soon. 

Good thing I picked up a CF card today at Best Buy.  The SD 722's auto-select files (within the last 24/ or 48 hours) feature, and transfer them f/ HD to CF was nice in this case.

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »
Hi, just bumnping this up..Im having this same issue with my 722, cant get it to connect to my PC and i dont know if i can find another PC to try it on. I bought a real cheap firewire cable from Monoprice. Not sure if thats the culprit or not. any other ideas? thanks

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »

I just transfer the files from the hard drive to the CF and then use a card reader.   
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:35:14 PM »

I just transfer the files from the hard drive to the CF and then use a card reader.

This is, without question, the best practice. FireWire ports are actually hazardous; I would recommend not using it at all.

Transferring all or select files from the internal hdd to the CF card is very easy (albeit a little slow). Review the section in the manual for how to select copy flags and your set.

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »

Aww ok, im pretty new to this thing and didnt know you could do that. I actually have a CD burner that has firewire and i hooked it up to this PC and it recognized it fine..(I was using a quality firewire cable with it)..The cable i used for the 722 is a cheapie from Monoprice..? maybe thats the issue?  unfortunatelly i cant use the good cable because it has a different ends on it. But im wondering if there is something wrong with the firewire port on the 722?  thanks

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »

This is, without question, the best practice. FireWire ports are actually hazardous; I would recommend not using it at all.

Transferring all or select files from the internal hdd to the CF card is very easy (albeit a little slow). Review the section in the manual for how to select copy flags and your set.

Thanks for the info

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
I know certain FW devices can be fickle as to which chipsets they will play nicely with.

When I first got my 722 I couldn't get the drive to mount using the integrated FW port on my computers mother board. I installed a FW PCI card and it mounted just fine after that.

I haven't used the FW for transfers in years though. When recording I now run the CF and the HDD as a safety copy and transfer via CF>card reader. Faster transfer speed that way too.

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
HI got a question whats the biggest SD card you can run with the 722. thanks

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 12:19:09 PM »
It's Compact Flash not SD but a SD to compact flash adapter may allow use of SD cards with the 722

I would think the limit for CF is at least as high as the current max of 512gb on the 7 series

The CF interface is at a lower level of hardware then SD and typically is not limited to the same size and performance restrictions as SD
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
It's Compact Flash not SD but a SD to compact flash adapter may allow use of SD cards with the 722

Hmmm. The adapter is an interesting idea….

I would think the limit for CF is at least as high as the current max of 512gb on the 7 series

The CF interface is at a lower level of hardware then SD and typically is not limited to the same size and performance restrictions as SD

I have the same question on CF size. My literature stated "currently 32gb" but I'm not sure how up to date the literature is. I downloaded the user guide from the SD website….
Does anyone have a definitive answer on this
?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »

I got a µSDHC to CF card adapter that I use for the SD722. It has two slots that I use 64 GB cards in, so at least 128 GB works, I wouldn't be surprised it it could handle two 512 GB cards in it.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com