Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA female microdot sources?  (Read 7427 times)

Offline edmaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DPA female microdot sources?
« on: October 19, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »
Want to make my own adapters, can't find a source for female microdot connectors. I just want the core component, not a prefabricated adapter.

Where have you acquired some?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DPA female microdot sources?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
Just added a post to that thread with a link to a source for female dot terminated cables of various length.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline edmaddict

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:37:41 PM by edmaddict »

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
That is not what I have found. I called Brake a week or so ago and verified there was no min order or service charge for small orders. I've ordered from Pasternack and while they allow you to order Qty=1, they add a service charge for orders less than $100. At least the last time I ordered they did.

Miq

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:08 PM »
The Brake link you show in your post has the 1 each price at $13.95. Below that there is a quantity price break chart that shows the first price break occurs at qty=25 ($13.11).

Both sources allow you to order just 1.  The prices are different and Pasternack adds a service fee on orders below $100. AFAIK.

MIQ

Offline edmaddict

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:38:42 PM »
You guys are right, the minimum order isn't 25, only 1.  Thanks for pointing this out. I've corrected my earlier post.

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »
You can use a standard male connector with a female-to-female bullet adapter. Those are available from DPA.

That's what we do.
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline eref2000

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:26:34 AM »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
I recently ordered microdot extension cables from here- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858.  They arrived in 2 days, nicely made.  I ordered them terminated with female microdots on both ends, twice as long as needed, cut them in half and retermintated the cut ends to stereo wired TA3F mini-XLR for use with Naiant PFAs.   The mic cable is easy to work with and I found the center conductor larger and much easier to strip and solder than the integral cables of the DPA miniature omnis.  The female dot ends are nice, eliminating the need for barrel connectors.

Posted a few photos in the Team DPA thread- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:26:52 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »
Is this cable configured with the standard 2 conductors and a shield?  I'm wondering if your process of cutting the cable in half would work if I wanted to put standard size XLR connectors on the opposite end of the microdot.    I have two DPA 4061s that came with their barrel adapters.  It would be nice to have a few backup adapter cables without having to spend $100 each for the DPA barrels. 

I recently ordered microdot extension cables from here- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858.  They arrived in 2 days, nicely made.  I ordered them terminated with female microdots on both ends, twice as long as needed, cut them in half and retermintated the cut ends to stereo wired TA3F mini-XLR for use with Naiant PFAs.   The mic cable is easy to work with and I found the center conductor larger and much easier to strip and solder than the integral cables of the DPA miniature omnis.  The female dot ends are nice, eliminating the need for barrel connectors.

Posted a few photos in the Team DPA thread- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175358.msg2179858#msg2179858

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
It's a single conductor with a woven shield, unbalanced, as is the integral 4061 cable.  These are "two-wire" connection microphones, rather than "three-wire" connection mics.

Conductor = signal & +5 to 10VDC power
Shield = ground

A standard XLR would work, but I'd not use that connector because it would be too easy to plug it into preamp or recorder input with 48V Phantom Power switched on, which would fry the microphone(s).

I'm using TA3 mini-XLRs not as a standard mic connector for a single balanced microphone channel, but wired as an unbalanced stereo connection for two channels.  Both microdot mic cables terminate to a single TA3F female mini XLR wired as follows:

Ground (both channels) to Pin 1
Signal 1 (L) to Pin 2
Signal 2 (R) to Pin 3

That in turn connects to a pair of Naiant PFAs (one for each channel) via a single TA3M male mini XLR, which is wired the same way.

Is this cable configured with the standard 2 conductors and a shield?  I'm wondering if your process of cutting the cable in half would work if I wanted to put standard size XLR connectors on the opposite end of the microdot.    I have two DPA 4061s that came with their barrel adapters.  It would be nice to have a few backup adapter cables without having to spend $100 each for the DPA barrels.

If I read you correctly, I think you misunderstand two points-

First, the microphones cannot be powered directly by simply wiring them to a full sized XLR and plugging that into a device providing 48V phantom power.  That will fry the mics.  The require a device which converts higher voltage phantom power to the 5 to 10VDC power required by the microphone.  That device can be a DPA microdot>XLR adapter, a Naiant PFA adapter, some other similar voltage adapter, or a battery box, low-voltage preamp, etc..).  The Naiant PFAs can be supplied with various connector types.  In my case they are wired in pairs to a single TA3M male mini-XLR as described above.  In other cases they are wired in pairs to 3.5mm stereo mini-jacks.  In others they are used individually like the DPA microdot>XLR adapters.  The DPA microdot>XLR adapters sell for about $100 each, the Naiant PFAs are available in multiple configurations (they can also provide gain, and/or polarization voltage for mics which require that), but in this simple configuration are considerably less costly while providing the same functionality.  I also prefer the PFAs because they have a short pig-tail input with a connector on the end, rather than the hard-mounted female mircodot connection of the DPA adapter which protrudes from the end of the adapter making the cable and microdot connector far more vulnerable to mechanical stress.

Second, the microdot barrel connectors are simple threaded coaxial female barrels which connect two male microdots.  They are used to connect the male microdot end of the microphone cable to a male microdot terminated cable such as the standard DPA microdot extension cables.  Use of a female terminated extension cable like the one's I'm using eliminates the need for the barrel connector.  The male dot terminated mic cable then connects directly to the female dot terminated extension cable.  The microdot barrel adapters aren't expensive, but they are small, easy to loose, and need to be tightened on both sides of the connection.

This is a photo of a threaded coaxial barrel connector (not microdot sized, this one is larger).  The microdot ones are usually gold plated, and fully threaded without the hex part in the middle-

This is a DPA mircodot >XLR adapter-

Here are three Naiant PFA adapters-

Offline aysvideo

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
Thanks very much for the detailed response.  I didn't realize the 48V phantom power supplied by the pre-amp has to be knocked down, and that it's not as simple as adding an XLR connector.  Last thing I want to do is fry a $400 mic. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
Happy to help. 

Yes exactly, it would be an expensive mistake.  DPA specifies around 5 to 6V to power these mics.  Most alternate powering solutions provide 8 or 9V.  I would't feed them more than about 11V.

Offline dream

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:22:21 PM »
Happy to help. 

Yes exactly, it would be an expensive mistake.  DPA specifies around 5 to 6V to power these mics.  Most alternate powering solutions provide 8 or 9V.  I would't feed them more than about 11V.

Do you know how the DPA 4060 (I have a pair of those) 'behave' with bus power from small recorders? Even if one mic could be powered this way, it would be interesting. And is there a microdot to 3.5 mm available if this would work?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:37:58 PM »
Typically Plug In Power from a small recorder is only about 2.5 to 3V and insufficient to power these mics correctly.  It may work, it may not.  If it does they may have reduced sensitivity, reduced maximum SPL handling, increased self noise or a combination of those things, or they work the same as always.  The 4063 is basically a 4061 (same sensitivity and other specs) designed to work with a 3V supply common from some wireless transmitters.  It should a better choice for direct powering from a PIP recorder but I'm not sure if that actually works or not.  Most use a 9V battery box or preamp to power the mics ahead of the recorder.

There are microdot to 3.5mm miniplug mono adapters from DPA, but since they are mono those don't help us much.  Some tapers choose to chop off the dots and terminate directly to a 3.5mm stereo miniplug or miniature XLR.  Several vendors who are members here at TS will make microdot to stereo 3.5mm mini-plug adapter 'Y' cables on request, which preserves the dots.  I used to solder up my own using the cut off microdot tails from DPA miniatures, but the tiny conductor in the dpa cable of the miniatures is so tiny its some what of a tricky solder job, same with chopping off the dots and re-terminating.

Soldering up your own stereo adapter 'Y' using the cables I listed above is easier and preserves the dots.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com