Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to price older mics?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
How to price older mics?
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
I was a mic slut early on as I tried to figure out what I liked, but have had 4022s since 2001. I've moved on to Schoeps, the dpas are being rebuilt in Denmark. What's fair pricing % of current new for older mics? Paging DSatz.  ;D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How to price older mics?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »
I think it depends on the brand.  Higher end mics like DPA, Neumann and Schoeps hold their value better than other mics, so there probably isn't a single applicable percentage discount from new street price.  I usually check the E-Bay sold listings, as well as vendors like Vintage King and the sale boards here and on GS to try and get a sense of the market for a particular mic.  If there isn't adequate sales volume for your mics to determine a specific price, you might look at the discount afforded similar high end mics with higher volume sales, like Schoeps, and apply that adjustment.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Agree w/ you Marc that it's tough b/c DPA and Schoeps etc of that era are not exactly "vintage" but they are "old."

I agree w/ Pohaku that you just have to cross-reference prices, etc. In DPA's case you know what a new pair of 4011-C's cost, and those are roughly the same thing as 4022 (same capsule but now with a stubby body). I'd start there and price back based on age, condition, etc.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »
I think it depends on many factors. If someone wants top dollar, eBay might be a better choice, and of course an offering can always be made in the Yardsale. Supply and demand rules there, and sometimes I see great deals and just as often deals that seem way overpriced. Either they sell or not. That said there has always been an implied idea in this yardsale that we all try to give each other a good or even great deal depending on our needs as sellers. I have seen some incredibly generous offerings and favors done here in our yardsale. It really cool and rewarding, but it's a big world out there and no one is mandated to do that.

DSatz recently sold a pair of Schoeps mics at an fantastic price. He wanted someone who had not experienced the Schoeps name to have an opportunity to do so. I hoped they would be my first pair, but it went elsewhere. No matter, it was cool to see someone help the community that way, and as a result of that posting, I embarked on a fact-finding mission where a few members here educated me and helped me learn and then put together a nice deal on my first Schoeps purchase. Pretty cool stuff.

So again, the answer really depends on the seller and what the sellers objectives are as to how they approach the community.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
Thanks guys, gold as always! ;D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com