Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Too much self noise after years of operation?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Too much self noise after years of operation?
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »
So dpa is telling me that I need a new cap in one 4022 because it's intermittent self noise of 27 db exceeds spec of 20. Does this matter for far field rock? The repair is 1k. this didn't happen overnight and it is not noticeable to me. The other mic is up to spec but has a minor short. Because these are 14 years old I'm struggling with spending a total of 1300 before selling. Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
Re: Too much self noise after years of operation?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:55:49 PM »
7 dB is a pretty large margin for the capsule to be off.  But if you can't hear it and it doesn't bother you, maybe you don't need to get it fixed?  I can tell you from my own experience (which we touched on in your other thread) that when the preamp on one of my 4021s started to go funky, I heard it immediately and knew something wasn't right.  That was all the impetus I needed to send it off to DPA for a checkup and they diagnosed the problem.  As you've found out, repairing DPA microphones gets expensive. 

Not that I need to say this but if, down the road, you decide to sell them without being fixed it would be wise to be completely transparent with the buyer so as to avoid complications. :)  Suffice to say it will also affect the selling price. 

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
Just throwing out random numbers, with full repairs and a DPA warranty, you can get probably the $2500 you were asking. Without, I (personally) wouldn't pay more than $500 for them. Fine, the buyer could get DPA to do the repair themselves for $1300, making the total worth $1800, but I've done the YS rodeo way, way too many times to not chop a substantial % off the price for the risk.

That said, it's your sale, do what you want, and I'm not in the market, just offering an opinion.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
7 dB is a pretty large margin for the capsule to be off.  But if you can't hear it and it doesn't bother you, maybe you don't need to get it fixed?  I can tell you from my own experience (which we touched on in your other thread) that when the preamp on one of my 4021s started to go funky, I heard it immediately and knew something wasn't right.  That was all the impetus I needed to send it off to DPA for a checkup and they diagnosed the problem.  As you've found out, repairing DPA microphones gets expensive. 

Not that I need to say this but if, down the road, you decide to sell them without being fixed it would be wise to be completely transparent with the buyer so as to avoid complications. :)  Suffice to say it will also affect the selling price.

No way I'd sell these absent full disclosure. If I don't fix them, I'd keep as backups. Curious, what did you hear when the 4021 cap went bad? Hiss?

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:12 PM »
Is there any safe way to try cleaning the capsule before spending that much money?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Curious, what did you hear when the 4021 cap went bad? Hiss?

For lack of a better way to describe it, the failing microphone sounded a little dark and muddy to my ears, and it was definitely noisy but more of the pink- or brown- noise variety rather than the brighter white noise type.  It was subtle and not as overwhelming as you'd think, but when I compared the two mics to each other over headphones the issue became very readily apparent and impossible, for me, to overlook. 

To reiterate my own opinion, I side with acidjack on this in that it makes sense (and yeah, it's financially painful) to get the mics fixed back to full working order.  That was the tough decision I had to make with mine and I feel it worked out for the best.  YMMV, etc.  Good luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like to hash through things in greater detail. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
Depending on what you typically record, the self-noise difference may not matter if you are going to continue using these yourself or keep as backups.  In that case, the noise-floor of the recording environment is what matters, and not the distance from the source.  For most live music taper applications, the environmental noise floor is going to exceed the self-noise of the mics by a significant amount.  If it does, then the difference in self-noise between the two mics won't matter.   If you are recording in really quiet environments, it will matter.   It will probably matter for studio recording or classical recording.  It probably wouldn't for amplified rock stuff or even jazz with a quiet audience in most rooms where HVAC noise dominates the environmental noise floor.

But that assumes the mics are still relatively closely frequency matched with each other for all signal levels above the environmental noise-floor where is does matter.  If you can hear a difference between the two (other than self-noise with the preamp gain cranked), they aren't closely frequency matched.

So not repairing them might be a viable option depending on your use.  But repairing them probably makes more sense for re-sale as the others have mentioned, or if this issue is going to bug you if you keep them.

When I sent a pair of Gefells back to the factory for other repairs, they described a similar problem and gave me the option of having the capsule replaced or not.  I decided to go ahead and do it rather than have to send them on a return trip again at a later date.  I'm glad I did as they came back perfectly matched with measured charts and sounded better than ever.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
Seems like you posted that you had have some issues with these mics more than once.  Only you can say when you feel enough is enough.  Does $1,300 fix the recurring issue and how long does it stay fixed?

Then there's the question of what else you would buy to replace them, what they would cost, and what their reliability would be. 

$1,300 over 14 years--that's another way of looking at the cost.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:40 AM »
Thanks guys, most appreciated. Gonna fix them.

Online H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
This makes the cost of Schoeps repairs seem petty

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »
Seems like you posted that you had have some issues with these mics more than once.  Only you can say when you feel enough is enough.  Does $1,300 fix the recurring issue and how long does it stay fixed?

Then there's the question of what else you would buy to replace them, what they would cost, and what their reliability would be. 

$1,300 over 14 years--that's another way of looking at the cost.

That's just this repair. prior repairs totaling 800 or so, all shorts.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
That's gotta hurt.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
It hurt my ass to pay that 1281 but these need to be fixed and out there, hopefully someone here and not eBay.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »
this ain't a cheap hobby. Well, not the DPA version of it...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com