Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hat mounted cardioids DIN/DINA-ish or ORTF-ish  (Read 3020 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hat mounted cardioids DIN/DINA-ish or ORTF-ish
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:20 AM »
Hi,

I mainly do stack taping with a pair of hat mounted cardioids (AB-ish config - mics near temples).

I'm looking to improve my sound and especially the stereo imaging of my recordings. I'd like to get rid of that thinny feel.

I use a pair of MM-HLSC-1's (Sennheiser MKE-40 caps) and think they are great.
I was thinking about upgrading at some point, but I want to stay with cardioids as omnis tend to pick up way too much crowd noise for my tastes.
A significant upgrade would be to buy Schoeps but they are too expensive for me right now.

So I'd like to have some suggestions and advices.

Would a hat mounted DIN/DINA-ish or ORTF-ish config be relevant regarding my mics and my actual AB-ish technique ?
Would stack taping still be the best spot option then ?

Please PM me with pics if you have some ;)
Many thanks,
-fandelive
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Hat mounted cardioids DIN/DINA-ish or ORTF-ish
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
The "thinny" or "tinny" sound you are hearing is due to the microphones.  I'm not judging the mikes (as to whether they are actually "tinny") because I've never owned yours,

But I will say that every mike has its own sound or "flavor."

I don't think you can improve the richness of the sound significantly by pointing the mikes in a different direction, especially if you are really close to the stacks.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
Save your nickles and dimes for those Schoeps.  You will be happy you did.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »
I run a very "hattable" AKG setup that rivals other European microphones at a fraction of the cost. My AKG CK1X > Tinybox and all associated cabling was $700USD. I understand the Tinybox is not available new anymore.

Every mic has it's own sound and if you want Schoeps that's what you should get but don't forget active options from Neumann and AKG, especially now that custom active setups are available from TS vendors. They can get you comparable quality for considerably less coin....

I don't think changing the angle of your mics is going to give you any change in frequency response.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »
I run a very "hattable" AKG setup that rivals other European microphones at a fraction of the cost. My AKG CK1X > Tinybox and all associated cabling was $700USD. I understand the Tinybox is not available new anymore.

Every mic has it's own sound and if you want Schoeps that's what you should get but don't forget active options from Neumann and AKG, especially now that custom active setups are available from TS vendors. They can get you comparable quality for considerably less coin....

I don't think changing the angle of your mics is going to give you any change in frequency response.

That is true.  Personally I love the Schoeps sound but Nick is building NBox's that run AKG and Neumann and would be a lower cost upgrade.  Still requires saving those nickels and dimes, just need a smaller pile.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:12:50 AM »
I agree on the "better mics sound better" point, but I'm curious as well if angling head-mounted cardioids would help with stereo imaging. Isn't this the point where Gutbucket should show up to school us all with a detailed explanation and some color-coded charts?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 12:23:56 AM »
stack taping and stereo?  Maybe I'm dense but is that even possible?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »
The "thinny" or "tinny" sound you are hearing is due to the microphones.  I'm not judging the mikes (as to whether they are actually "tinny") because I've never owned yours,

But I will say that every mike has its own sound or "flavor."

I don't think you can improve the richness of the sound significantly by pointing the mikes in a different direction, especially if you are really close to the stacks.

ding ding ding
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com