Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording two chatty choirs—How would you do it?  (Read 6649 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recording two chatty choirs—How would you do it?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
The tascam dr70 is a 4 xlr input recorder less than half the size of the dr680, will run for hours on an inexpensive 5v cell phone battery, and could be had for about $220 recently new.  Powering the 680 has been a topic of discussion.  Let's just say a 5v cell battery easily powers the 70d, but not the 680. 

If the choirs talk all over each other, isn't that part of the musicology to be recorded? 

I would think hard about portability with as few stands and mics as I could manage. 

Offline two2the8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recording two chatty choirs—How would you do it?
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old thread—I realize that I said I would reply here, but I never did  :-[

By way of update, for anyone who's interested, here's my current plan:

I've got a Zoom F8 & 2 pairs of KSM141 mics, and I'm going to bring two lightweight stands & two wide stereo bars, per the suggestion from @gutbucket. (For stands, I've ordered 2x Airturn GoStands with booms & will see how those look later this week. I've been looking at the 24" stereo bars from @followinbob, but they might be too big for travel—the manfrotto dado or something similar seems like a really versatile solution, especially since I can mount a GoPro in the center of each really easily.) I anticipate recording lots of different material, and that should give me a good range of options. For the chatty choirs, I will likely run a stereo pair of cards for each group, probably using one stand and bar for each. I'll have to experiment with AB options & ORTF etc & see what works depending on the situation. I'll try to remember to share some samples when I'm back.

Thanks again, Tapers! I don't post often, but I get a LOT out of searching around the forum here. I've just ordered up a bunch of cables from Ted, and I've got a few other things to get before I head back to the field in October... I'll probably hit you up for ideas about those, too :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com