Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need assistance with upgrading my gear bag  (Read 2966 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Need assistance with upgrading my gear bag
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:09:22 PM »
I am currently using a Lowepro Adventura 170 as my "small footprint\I already know what I need" bag.
And I carry the rest of my stuff in a backpack in the trunk of my car.

I would like to continue to use the Lowepro for those small footprint times, but use a larger bag for the times I am not sure what I will encounter or just know I need more stuff.
(I would of course, keep this larger bag in the trunk for those small footprint nights as a just in case)

I was thinking of going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Large-Gadget-Orange-interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/181-4153471-9450718

But in talking to Voltronic, the Amazon bag will not be big enough. I laid out everything I would need and it's slightly more than 2 full Adventura's.

So I am looking for something which had good space, dividers, pockets in and out,would love an orange inside like the other two bags and I don't like backpacks ;  )
Also, something that would make setup a break-down a little easier than: pull everything out\stuff it all back in

Is anyone in a similar situation or can recommend something?

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:16:50 PM by StarkRavingCalm »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need assistance with upgrading my gear bag
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
Marking thread.  I own the Amazon bag linked, and basically want a larger version that's not one of the "sound guy" bags with an open top.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
I use a PortaBrace CAR2 cargo bag for my large bag. Doesn't have the orange interior but is a nice large bag. They have a CAR3 for larger loads and if a CAR2 is too big there's a CAR1 which is smaller.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
I use a PortaBrace CAR2 cargo bag for my large bag. Doesn't have the orange interior but is a nice large bag. They have a CAR3 for larger loads and if a CAR2 is too big there's a CAR1 which is smaller.

It looks really nice, but $200... yikes.  I know that's what PortaBrace costs though.

Something of similar internal dimensions for the main compartment:
http://countycomm.com/satcomsmall.html

Here are their other bags.  I have used the MidRange bag as my work "briefcase" for many years.  Their bags are outstanding, as are all of their other products.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »

It looks really nice, but $200... yikes.  I know that's what PortaBrace costs though.

I also have a CAR2 which I use mainly for storage at home even though it isn't large enough to hold all my gear. It's really too big for shows with seats unless you have two seats. List is pricey but they show up semi-regularly on ebay and last time I followed them for a few months, selling price on the bay averaged around $80. Considering what you get I don't consider that a bad deal.

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
I recently scored a Kata SunDo 2 and love it. I don't think Kata makes them anymore but it is just about perfect for open taping. So if you happen to run across one, you may want to consider.   :coolguy:

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »
I recently scored a Kata SunDo 2 and love it. I don't think Kata makes them anymore but it is just about perfect for open taping. So if you happen to run across one, you may want to consider.   :coolguy:
You just made me look at their website. Damn, that stuff is not cheap, however, I can see that most of what they make is damn durable. I did notice you are correct that the SunDO 2 is unavailable everywhere. Their audio cases page didn't load for me, but the camera cases area has plenty of bags which would be useful for what we do. Spendy though; good idea to locate these used..
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com