Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder for wildlife recording  (Read 7761 times)

Offline wiiawiwb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recorder for wildlife recording
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »
That is exactly what I plan on doing. I'll be getting a Stealth Cam G42 (or G45) No Glow trailcam.  It would be very interesting to be able to marry the video and audio from separate sources to really see what's going on.

I've heard the same thing from many people; namely, that trailcams get stolen. Mine will be out over night and retrieved the next morning. Those that get stolen are typical out for a long duration.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:34:38 AM by wiiawiwb »

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
tl:dr  Try just the M10's internal mics first. You will likely be pleasantly surprised by the quality and ease of use.

I'm not an expert, but I've been using an M10 for a similar purpose: quick fieldrecordings while traveling. I've found the internal mics to be pretty good for this use and would suggest experimenting with them first before trying external mics. Be sure to get a furry windscreen.

By comparison: I have stereo lav mics from Microphone Madness based on Panasonic WM61 capsules which offer nothing over the internal mics. (Their primary use for me is as a simple setup for recording two person research interviews that are intended for transcription.) I also have a pair of Naiant XR cardioid capsules, which are better than the internal mics (especially with Phantom Power via my MixPre rather than the 3v PiP of the M10), but they are more prone to handling and wind noise and require more care in placement and set-up.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »
I own a Sony M10. The built-in mics have excellent self-noise, which is of primary importance for ambience or most wildlife recording. However their soundstage is terrible, not surprising considering how close the omni caps have been placed. I cannot easily enjoy any recordings made using them. The solution is external microphones. And yes, it is true that this model has been discontinued.

Someone above mentioned the Olympus LS series of recorders, which are indeed my favourites. I own the LS-10 and LS-11. There's also the LS-5 in this line, and the only significant difference is how much internal memory they have, and the packaged accessories. There was a bass roll-off issue with the LS-10, but TBH it never bothered me as I was likely to do this in post anyway. Unfortunately these too have been discontinued.

Do not confuse these with the LS-12 and LS-14, which have plastic build and poorer, though still very good, pre-amps. Yes, I've got one of these too! They are excellent units for beginners, due to the Quick Mode recording setting. I first took this for a gimmick but it really helps setting record levels. Also, they sell cheaper than the discontinued models used to.

Forget the Olympus LS-3 and LS-7 which are tiny but more noise again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:22:29 PM by robin746 »
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline robin0112358

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theatre of noise
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 07:20:50 PM »
Great suggestions about the Primo EM172 capsules. Sadly enough, I am not handy whatsoever and buying the parts would be a complete waste. I would screw things up and that money would be down the drain.

Here in Europe several people sell stereo electret pairs made from the Primo EM172 caps. For many it's a hobby, so availability can be sketchy.

Audiotalaia Pro is made in Spain and costs €60 including wind shields. Disclosure: I endorse these on the website. But only because I am a happy customer.

Usi is based in Bratislava. The mics are made by Jonáš Gruska and sels out faster than hot-cakes (€90). Disclosure: I am currently testing some of his other products.

Micbooster Clippy is £55 and, y'know, comes with a clip.

Luhd PM-01 are £79 and look real nice.

The Primo EM172 based mics are definitely the best value for the money. They are quieter and more expressive than any of the built-in sets on portable recorders, and the Panasonic WM-61 caps. You gain versatility in placement. They conveniently run off the stereo minijack PIP (Plug-In Power).

To do "better" you need to spend a grand on a pair of DPA4060 and move up to phantom power.
Theatre of Noise contains info on recorders and mics. Plus rants about film, observations on politics, and other stuff.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
To echo Robin's comments: the minimal stereo image is definitely the biggest shortcoming of the M10's internal mics. The flexibility in stereo arrangement/placement is the primary factor in my considering that the Naiant's (or other external mics) are "better".

// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com