Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
Quick question for anyone using the Y cable into a sound professional battery box and a PCM-M10, do you suggest going mic in, or line in to the recorder?
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; Core Sound HEB DPA4061; SP-CMC-25; CA-14
Power: Naiant Tinybox; CA-9100; CS battery box; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
^ It depends a lot on the SPL. From your signature, I think you have 4061s, which are not all that sensitive (6 mV/Pa compared to 20 mV/Pa for 4060s). For quiet sources, I would probably use the mic input. For moderate to loud sources, the line input might be better. You can kind of guess-timate from the specs...

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »
^ It depends a lot on the SPL. From your signature, I think you have 4061s, which are not all that sensitive (6 mV/Pa compared to 20 mV/Pa for 4060s). For quiet sources, I would probably use the mic input. For moderate to loud sources, the line input might be better. You can kind of guess-timate from the specs...

Oh, I was actually asking with respect to DPA 4060s, which I just purchased along with a Y cable from darktrain to connect to the SP battery box. Recording jazz exclusively - usually in smaller venues - sometimes unamplified. Guess I will do a little trial and error and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
The 4060s will give you nearly 10.5 dB of gain compared to the 4061s, so you will probably be able to record line-in much of the time.  I also record a lot of jazz, generally in smaller venues and sometimes unamplified, and have had pretty good luck running 4060 > BB into either input.  You will generally know in advance if it will be towards one extreme of loudness or the other; for most of the stuff in the middle, you can use either input...

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
The 4060s will give you nearly 10.5 dB of gain compared to the 4061s, so you will probably be able to record line-in much of the time.  I also record a lot of jazz, generally in smaller venues and sometimes unamplified, and have had pretty good luck running 4060 > BB into either input.  You will generally know in advance if it will be towards one extreme of loudness or the other; for most of the stuff in the middle, you can use either input...

Thanks again. That is very helpful.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
I use four 4060's, recording into both mic and line inputs of a DR2d simultaneously.   You just need to manage your preamp gain so as to stay within the known-good input range of each input on the recorder.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

Offline obsidian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
^ That looks like it would work, so long as you get the battery box with the two mono inputs.

I am curious why you aren't interested in the Y-cable option mentioned by audBall a few posts back.  The cost of the cable, plus the work, will likely be a lot less than even one of those DAD6034s and you'll be able to use it with a wide range of battery boxes (or pres) and the M10.

+1 to the audBall solution.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com