Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 157457 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
So, that d:vice thing is pretty neat, I hear...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
So, that d:vice thing is pretty neat, I hear...

Teething pains with new gear and the tangents to which they lead..

"He's turned off his targeting computer!"
Rebel pilot red 5 implores-

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:06 PM »
Atta Jedi!

Oh, how the tangents lead us astray.

I'm still trying to shed myself from the sheer want of this thing. It's not like I need it or anything. My bbox>m10 works just fine, but I find myself reading about this "device" more than I need to.

I'd rather find solutions to WiFiJeff's concerns, however, because this unit (coming from DPA) should operate as specified. This ain't Tascam! It's kind of annoying that they developed a control app to setup the d:vice, but then leave the user hanging on the recording end.

We've got plenty of fine threads debating the merits of higher sampling rates, and I enjoy reading them. I'm certainly not trying to stifle conversation here, fwiw.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
Yeah, gonna need them higher sample rates seven generations from now, when our hearing evolves....so we can enjoy them with the aliens.

:yikes:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline audBall

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »
^ is anyone even debating that? We're just trying to figure out if the device works as advertised. I never record at 96kHz, btw. WFJ appears to want that functionality for his editing workflow.

Nothing wrong with recording at 16/44.1, capn.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
24/44.1 or 24/48 seems to be optimal for humans using recorders.  Process in 32bit float, then convert to whatever you like.

Yeah, this d:VICE is a revolutionary step...let's get back on target with this thread.

Thanks for letting me clarify my opinion.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
Them aliens might be punks rather than golden-ears. We may wanna rock out with 'em to some 8-bit Devo synth roboto-voice jams lest we offend their musical prejudices!

oops! did it again.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
Sorry to interrupt these Hi-Res rants with some maybe useful info.

Following a suggestion from DPA, I purchased the Rode recording app.  I hadn't tried this because it has gotten some poor reviews and also didn't claim to work with non-Rode inputs.

I can confirm that it will work with the d:vice MMA-A and record at 24/96.  Signal  up to 40kHz (96kHz sampling rate) is definitely present.  I am testing now to see if it can roll over seamlessly at 2GB or 4GB.  Clearly Apple did something to break those other apps which think they can do 24/96, but iOS 10.3 and the iPhone 6s Plus are clearly capable of handling this resolution.  I hope the other apps get fixed since the Rode app is not entirely easy for me to use yet, maybe I'll get used to it.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:34:33 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
Sorry to interrupt these Hi-Res truths with some maybe useful info...

Fixed that for you Jeff  :cheers:

Oh, and those 40KHz tones, it's probably aliasing you are seeing.  You surely aren't hearing those.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:14:02 AM by capnhook »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
Oh, and those 40KHz tones, it's probably aliasing you are seeing.  You surely aren't hearing those.

Thank you for continuing to repeat these original and informative observations, which are not responsive to my inquiry and off topic to the subject of this thread.  I will forward them to Nagra, SD, Sonosax,Tascam, Sony and other manufacturers so they can adjust their future product offerings accordingly.  I am also coding a bot which will insert them into all TS threads that mention 96kHz recording (oh wait, maybe you've done that already).

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:35:08 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2017, 02:02:58 PM »
The Rode recording app solves all my issues, though it requires some extra work.  You can select sampling rate and stereo or mono file before starting to record, when you finish and want to export you select the export format (.wav, mp3, FLAC, etc.).  For a shorter file I selected wav and got a true 96kHz wav file.  I then recorded for about three hours, it didn't do a split but for export there was no wav selection available, only CAF.  Audacity will allow you to load the large CAF file and split it to export as a 32 bit floating wav file, Wavelab and iZotope Rx can handle those.  The transfer to PC is either by WiFi or iTunes, WiFi can be rather slow but otherwise I've had no problems.

Hope to try it out in the field next week.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:35:46 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »
Inductive reasoning indicates atsolata Hanks!

Thanks for the real world updates on use of this thing-a-majob, Jeff.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
I don't care what sample rate you are using, but I'm pretty sure it's not 96 kilohenries.

My bad.  I've gone back and corrected all the "kHs" to "kHzs" for all those who were understandably totally confused by my error.

Jeff

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
wow this thread is bizarre

Jeff thanks for the info etc. While I dont do the 96 ive been following your updates as this device seems about the easiest thing to get in to a show ever

glad we've got the early adopters here. Makes it easy for us slackers
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Usually I tape piano using four channels, main pair of DPA 4081s (hypercardioid) with bass added from a pair of 4060s into a DR-2D.  So this omni-only run with the d:vice is for me not an optimal test, but the best opportunity for me until October.  I was close to the piano, but room acoustics not optimal.  I hope it gives some idea of what the DPA4060 > d:vice MMA-A > iPhone 6s can do at 24/96.

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/An1XxGGZyF

The Rode Recorder has some quirks.  You have to load the DPA app before opening the recorder and keep it running in the background, or the Rode app will change levels I think, at least according to the readings on the DPA app.  And WiFi to my computer takes a while.  But I am reasonably happy with the results.  I started the recording well ahead of the start of the recital, it ran 3 hours and 20 minutes with the iPhone battery going from 100% to 80%,  so I figure I could record 15-16 hours with no other power source needed (will check out sometime what the drain is if using DPA4006 or 4011 with their active microdot cabling).  This is with wifi turned off and the screen allowed to go dark.

Opinions on the results for d:vice A/D and preamps welcomed (though I don't really care if you think it would be just as good at 44.1/16, see above and countless other threads).

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com