Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 111967 times)

Offline b_curl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
An important change to Paul's instructions re gain knobs:

" I said in my earlier comment that you set Channel to Basic - that's wrong - I meant set Gain to Basic so that your ISOs are post channel fader knob."

[from jwsoundgroup.net]

Further clarification from that site, posted by Mobilemike:

"It seems to me though that in Custom mode, if you set "Gain" to "Basic" but leave "Channel" on "Advanced" (and Record on Advanced like Paul said) then that approaches what we want to do. Namely in this mode it seems like the channel faders do act like gain pots (albeit with the modified -14-96db range), but since the channel is in advanced mode you still have access to all of the other channel settings like full pan, low cut settings, and linking."

Much appreciated! I've only been recording for a few years, mainly on my Sony M-10 and Sound Devices' MixPre-D and MM1. The whole gain/fade in my MixPre3 was confusing me. I'm still unsure what "albeit with the modified -14-96db range" means, but as long as i'm not clipping, all good yeah?

I'm blown away how quiet the amps are. Even when running my mics through a SD MixPre-D into the line of my M-10 the recordings didn't sound as good.

I only got my MixPre-D some 9 months ago but now i'm wondering why i should still hold onto it? Much dearer along than the MixPre 3. In fact larger too.

Offline Vunz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »

Great! Thank you so much for this, I am loving my MP6, BTW!

Hmmm... When I switch my MP6 to custom mode and set everything except gain to advanced, I don't see an option to link channels...

FYI - We are aware of this and plan to make linking available even when Gain is set to Basic.

thx

Paul

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »
First firmware release, v. 1.01 (for both, the MixPre-3 & -6):

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads

Changes introduced in 1.01 include:
Fixed
    "Upon startup with an SD card inserted, the MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 could enter a power cycle loop"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:41:52 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »
Hi all. My first post!

I took delivery of my MixPre 6 last Friday. I shoved in four AA batteries and started exploring. I quickly became concerned at the rapid decline in the battery indicator so I've done some tests. My findings and some other observations are below. All settings were in advanced mode.

BATTERY TIMES

All these tests are using tracks 1 and 2 to record the input from a stereo microphone.

TEST ONE
Maplin Extra Long Life Alkaline Batteries - 4 new batteries used.
MP6 set up for MS Stereo on inputs 1 and 2 with phantom power to a Pearl MSH 10 microphone.
All recording was at 24/96.
I pointed the microphone at a radio and monitored on headphones

The red battery warning started flashing after 15 minutes.
About 6 minutes afterwards there was a warning message to expect automatic shutdown soon, and there was an intermittent bleep on headphone but not recorded on the track (like the SD702).
About 4 minutes later the MP6 shut itself down.
A valid file was recorded on the card about the same length as the recording time.
Total recording time: 25 minutes

TEST TWO
Using 4 newly purchased Duracell Plus Power AA batteries
Same set up as above but without headphones and with Bluetooth switched off
Total recording time: just over 33 minutes

TEST THREE
Same set up as above (Duracells)
but with both brightness settings turned down to 2
Total recording time: 37 minutes

TEST FOUR
Rechargeable Duracells 2500mAh
4 freshly recharged batteries
Total recording time: 73 minutes with red battery warning about 65 minutes

TEST FIVE
As above but set up changed to record stereo via a Sanken CSS5
Total recording time: 76 minutes, so no significant difference.

Other power sources tried out

[UK] mains plug with three USB outputs, using supplied MX-USBY cable
No problems

Maplin 12000mA Power Bank with 2 USB outputs 2.1A and 2.4A
Fully charged
Connected via supplied MX-USBY cable
Seems to work OK. I did a trial recording and after just over 2 hours the battery indicator was still on full. Didn't continue to discover maximum time.

Although not directly related to the MixPre recorders, I decided to do a run time test on my Zoom H6.

With a set of freshly charged 2300 mah NiMh  AA batteries, recording 2 channels connected to a pair of Behringer C2 mics with 48V phantom power on, and recording at 16 bit 48K,
I got 7 Hours and 33 mins up to the point of automatic shutdown.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
Although not directly related to the MixPre recorders ...

Let's state this more accurately:

"Although not faintly related to MixPre recorders I wanted to post this so I could feel better about myself."

Your comment wasn't related to anything, you just fancied having a dig didn't you ?, there's one like you on every forum.

Comparisons are always useful.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2017, 12:31:03 PM »
Well then I apologize. I thought most/all folks on these boards already knew there were several recorders with longer battery life. But if this info is useful, even as a reminder, then I have been amiss in my comment. Again, I apologize.

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Well then I apologize. I thought most/all folks on these boards already knew there were several recorders with longer battery life. But if this info is useful, even as a reminder, then I have been amiss in my comment. Again, I apologize.

Apology accepted.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
First firmware release, v. 1.01 (for both, the MixPre-3 & -6):

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads

Changes introduced in 1.01 include:
Fixed
    "Upon startup with an SD card inserted, the MixPre-3 or MixPre-6 could enter a power cycle loop"

Looks like this solved the large card issue
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
Yes, as I understand it that's exactly what it does. Will try to test out tomorrow with a bigger card.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »

Although not directly related to the MixPre recorders, I decided to do a run time test on my Zoom H6.

With a set of freshly charged 2300 mah NiMh  AA batteries, recording 2 channels connected to a pair of Behringer C2 mics with 48V phantom power on, and recording at 16 bit 48K,

Could you please run the same test at 24 bit 96kHz? Just curious to see if that makes a difference. The MP6 doesn't record at 16 bit.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »

Could you please run the same test at 24 bit 96kHz? Just curious to see if that makes a difference. The MP6 doesn't record at 16 bit.

The specs suggest the MP6 records at both 16 and 24 bit.

I would request that we keep the posts in this thread only about the Sound Devices Mix Pre products. I think battery tests comparing various branded recorders might be useful but in a separate thread to avoid confusion.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »

The specs suggest the MP6 records at both 16 and 24 bit.

I would request that we keep the posts in this thread only about the Sound Devices Mix Pre products. I think battery tests comparing various branded recorders might be useful but in a separate thread to avoid confusion.

Sorry, I was referring to drone's battery tests and I meant to say the MP6 didn't record at 16 bit. Drone indicated that he did all his tests at 24/96.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
Hi all. My first post!

I took delivery of my MixPre 6 last Friday. I shoved in four AA batteries and started exploring. I quickly became concerned at the rapid decline in the battery indicator so I've done some tests. My findings and some other observations are below. All settings were in advanced mode.

BATTERY TIMES

All these tests are using tracks 1 and 2 to record the input from a stereo microphone.

TEST ONE
Maplin Extra Long Life Alkaline Batteries - 4 new batteries used.
MP6 set up for MS Stereo on inputs 1 and 2 with phantom power to a Pearl MSH 10 microphone.
All recording was at 24/96.
I pointed the microphone at a radio and monitored on headphones

The red battery warning started flashing after 15 minutes.
About 6 minutes afterwards there was a warning message to expect automatic shutdown soon, and there was an intermittent bleep on headphone but not recorded on the track (like the SD702).
About 4 minutes later the MP6 shut itself down.
A valid file was recorded on the card about the same length as the recording time.
Total recording time: 25 minutes

TEST TWO
Using 4 newly purchased Duracell Plus Power AA batteries
Same set up as above but without headphones and with Bluetooth switched off
Total recording time: just over 33 minutes

TEST THREE
Same set up as above (Duracells)
but with both brightness settings turned down to 2
Total recording time: 37 minutes

TEST FOUR
Rechargeable Duracells 2500mAh
4 freshly recharged batteries
Total recording time: 73 minutes with red battery warning about 65 minutes

TEST FIVE
As above but set up changed to record stereo via a Sanken CSS5
Total recording time: 76 minutes, so no significant difference.

Other power sources tried out

[UK] mains plug with three USB outputs, using supplied MX-USBY cable
No problems

Maplin 12000mA Power Bank with 2 USB outputs 2.1A and 2.4A
Fully charged
Connected via supplied MX-USBY cable
Seems to work OK. I did a trial recording and after just over 2 hours the battery indicator was still on full. Didn't continue to discover maximum time.

SD CARDS

Some people have been reporting problems with some SD cards.
My experience is that sizes up to 32GB seem to work well.
Sizes over 32GB may result in the MP6 hanging with the green channel lights flashing intermittently on and off.
There may be a work around.
1. Start the MP6 with the battery sled removed and with no card inserted. You'll need to use a USB power source to do this.
2. After the MP has started insert the SD card.
The card should now be recognised, and you can replace the battery sled.
I have tried and used a 64GB Lexar (150 MB/s), a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, and 256GB SanDisk Extreme PRO - and all worked when loaded like this.
You may have to repeat the above loading procedure each time you reuse the card. I understand the people at Sound Devices are working on a fix.

The above is now redundant if you upgrade to firmware v. 1.01. Well done, Sound Devices!

The MP6 is very fast at reporting the remaining recording space available on a card. Formatting is also very fast.

Files are stored in date named folders. I just noticed today that I couldn't see the details of the files I recorded yesterday when using the MP6 today. This may be a bug (or a feature). The files are still there and can be accessed via a computer. But it looks as though you can't access them or delete them on the MP6. Perhaps someone could look at this and confirm this.

RECORDING LEVELS

Lots of people were worried about whether or not they would be able to set the gain level for individual channels. In fact this is easy to do via each channel's menu. The default is 6dB and you can change it using the up and down arrows on the screen when you press the channel dial in and tap on the visual gain icon.
HOWEVER, if you turn off the MP6 the channel gain levels will all default to 6dB. You can get round this by storing your settings as a preset. However, you will have to reload your preset every time you turn on the MP6. I can see this being a potential problem for me when I record at long events when I often switch my recorder on and off to conserve battery power.

The fader levels for each channel are set using the channel knobs. They are not stored with presets and are maintained and defined by the position of the dot on the channel knob. Fader levels are maintained if the MP6 is switched off and on.

Otherwise everything people are saying about the MP6 is true. It is easy to operate and sounds great. The headphone output is the best I've heard on a portable recorder (better than the Marantz 661 mk ii, the Tascam DR-100 mk iii, and the Sound Devices 702).

I doubt I would have any quibbles about the AA battery issues if the MX-L Mount had been available to buy along with the MP6. However, here in the UK they are not yet available. From my experience with the 702 it is the obvious way to benefit from extended recording times in the field.

I hope this is of some help to people.

Looks like the Sony L sleds will be needed for these.  Disappointing..
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline PoC2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
The firmware update did not wipe out my internal presets. Excellent.

SD Card presets can be deleted via computer (or simply viewed as they're XML files).

Internal Presets as far as I can tell at the moment cannot be deleted only written over.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
> Looks like the Sony L sleds will be needed for these.  Disappointing.

Why not an Anker-style battery? I hated the L batteries when I had a 744. Took forever to charge. In my experience Anker types charge fast and have a higher capacity. The slim ones seem less bulky in a bag.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com