Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 111976 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
Jazz is Phish - 3S Artspace, Portsmouth, NH
Onstage 4 channel Mix.
1 Telefunken AR-51 sub card, left stage spot mic on the horns section
1 Telefunken AR-51 sub card, right stage spot mic on the bass & keys
Center Pair of Telefunken ELA M260's with Blue B6 Lollipops NOS Configuration

https://archive.org/details/jazzisphish2017-06-01.ar51.elam260-b6.mixpre6.flac

Nice!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Johannes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
Has anyone of you tested PiP Mics on the Aux in? I asked SD support but they could not give me a definite answer to my questions and recommend visiting a reseller, which is difficult for me. So perhaps someone here has an answer or two:

Can I connect a stereo plug-in power mic to the aux in of the Mixpre-6? Or two mono plug-in power mics with an adapter cable?
If I use the Mic(s) from the aux as channel input will they take advantage of the Kashmir preamps? If not: how much "worse" ist  is the quality of the aux in preamps? Are Limiter and Lowcut analog or digital on the Aux?

Thanks in advance
Johannes

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Has anyone of you tested PiP Mics on the Aux in? I asked SD support but they could not give me a definite answer to my questions and recommend visiting a reseller, which is difficult for me. So perhaps someone here has an answer or two:

Can I connect a stereo plug-in power mic to the aux in of the Mixpre-6? Or two mono plug-in power mics with an adapter cable?
If I use the Mic(s) from the aux as channel input will they take advantage of the Kashmir preamps? If not: how much "worse" ist  is the quality of the aux in preamps? Are Limiter and Lowcut analog or digital on the Aux?

Thanks in advance
Johannes

Not sure about the other questions but somewhere in this thread or the old one Paul said that the Kashmir preamps are only on 1-4 and not the aux
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
Has anyone of you tested PiP Mics on the Aux in?

I have the MixPre-3. I did a short test with 2 different PIP mics: a Countryman lav mic and a Soundman binaural mic (stereo). These were short simple tests. So, yes, you can plug in a stereo PIP mic. About the adapter and two monos I have no idea. I don't know if the PIP used Kashmir preamps or not: no easy way to know. However the sound in both cases was excellent. The big caveat is these were short and simple tests.

I'm currently packing for a trip, but in about a week (or less) I should be able to provide a more thorough report. On my trip I'll be using the binaural mics a fair amount. Remind me on this thread if I forget to report back. But initial impressions are quite positive.

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
24 Hours of Power  :cheers:

My first battery test results:

2 Anker Astro pro 14400 Mah (5V - 2A output), freshly charged and using the provided usb-a to usb-c cable
2 AKG ck63 > Naiant PFA > MixPre-3 (24bit/48khz)
Basic mode
50 dB of gain on channels 1 and 2 with Phantom on (channel 3 off)
LCD screen at 4
LED at 9
bluetooth on

the pic below shows the timestamps of the files; the 4gb files are 4hours and 8 min each, so 4 hours and 8 min before the first time stamp would be 12:41AM on 6/2 and it went till 12:44 am on 6/3!!

:coolguy:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:34:10 PM by GDfan »
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline rogs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »

Thanks in advance
Johannes

Not sure about the other questions but somewhere in this thread or the old one Paul said that the Kashmir preamps are only on 1-4 and not the aux

I posted a query about the frequency response of the MixPre 6 to Sound Devices support.   Here's a quote from the reply I received from Sound Devices, which also happens to mention the aux inputs

"Should be full bandwidth on all counts, but Engineering has no time to confirm this at the moment.  The aux inputs will not have the same quality of the Kashmir inputs."

They haven't described what the difference in quality is, just that there is one....
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:52:57 PM by rogs »

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
Jazz is Phish - 3S Artspace, Portsmouth, NH
Onstage 4 channel Mix.
1 Telefunken AR-51 sub card, left stage spot mic on the horns section
1 Telefunken AR-51 sub card, right stage spot mic on the bass & keys
Center Pair of Telefunken ELA M260's with Blue B6 Lollipops NOS Configuration

https://archive.org/details/jazzisphish2017-06-01.ar51.elam260-b6.mixpre6.flac

Sounds NICE.  Thanks Ted
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »
OK. I finally have time to play with this thing. What am I doing wrong?

I want to record 4 channels (2 stereo omni + 2 stereo cards). I'm using Advanced Mode, but it's spitting out one big 8 channel WAV file. I want 2 stereo tracks. How do I do that?

Also tips on setting gain in Advanced Mode. I'm using my stereo as a source, but it doesn't get as loud as a concert. It doesn't seem like the fader knobs on the front do a damn thing in Advanced Mode.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Use Custom mode with gain on basic!

I want to record 4 channels (2 stereo omni + 2 stereo cards). I'm using Advanced Mode, but it's spitting out one big 8 channel WAV file. I want 2 stereo tracks. How do I do that?

Also tips on setting gain in Advanced Mode. I'm using my stereo as a source, but it doesn't get as loud as a concert. It doesn't seem like the fader knobs on the front do a damn thing in Advanced Mode.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks. Now I can change the gain on my individual channels, but I still get a 8 channel WAV file.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
It records polywav files!  You need to download wave agent from SD website and you can split into individual tracks.  I'm hoping in the future they add the option to record to normal wave files.   

Thanks. Now I can change the gain on my individual channels, but I still get a 8 channel WAV file.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
^ Sweet. Thanks. Got a PM with the same info.

So to clear things up for my fellow SD Newbies (courtesy of jbell):

1. Use Custom mode with gain on basic! (This will allow you to change the gain on each individual channels with the front knobs).
2. Download Wave Agent from SD. (This will allow you to take your "polywav" files and split them however you like). LINK: https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/wave-agent?fdid=917e50988307cbd5b2463a40291f3ce4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
This has already been disscussed in the thread!

^ Sweet. Thanks. Got a PM with the same info.

So to clear things up for my fellow SD Newbies (courtesy of jbell):

1. Use Custom mode with gain on basic! (This will allow you to change the gain on each individual channels with the front knobs).
2. Download Wave Agent from SD. (This will allow you to take your "polywav" files and split them however you like). LINK: https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/wave-agent?fdid=917e50988307cbd5b2463a40291f3ce4

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
^ DOH! My bad. I thought I've been reading every post...but I guess I missed a few yesterday. Thanks for your help.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
Also turn off aux 5,6 (aux in mode) to get 2 less files if you're only using 4 channels
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:11:26 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com