Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 113672 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »
For both my field recording and my testing, I had the MP-6 set to advanced mode, recording at 24/48.  Field recording used 4 mic inputs and a LR mix track (channels 1&3 panned hard left, 2&4 panned hard right), in testing at home I added channels 5-6 as well.  Line output using the LR mix track, using a mix of channels 1&3 for left and 2&4 for right (in the home testing with channels 5-6 added, I didn't send those to the LR mix track as it was different source material).  LR mix signal routed post fade (blue).

In all cases, the dropouts occurred at the same time across all 4 (or 6) channels as well as the LR mix track.  I had external recorders attached to the line output and the headphone output (headphone on home testing only) and dropouts occurred at the same points on the external recorders as on the internal MP-6 recording.

No idea where and when I got the Sony card, or even where I was using it.  I gathered up all the high capacity SD cards I had from various recorders and cameras to use in the MP-6 and lost track of what was used where.  I don't recall having any trouble with the Sony card, or any other.

Wondering if there was some glitch on the card, earlier today I did a low level erase and re-formatting on it. First time through, it failed for some reason, so I did it again which seemed to work without incident.  Didn't think to try disk first aid before doing all this, but tried disk first aid after the second low-level reformat and it didn't show a problem.  Then I re-formatted it yet again in the MP-6 and set things up to re-test.  After about an hour of testing, I didn't have any dropouts on the recording to the Sony card, and no dropouts on the two external recorders patched into the headphone and line outputs (unsurprisingly).  Only 4 channels plus the LR mix track for this test, I didn't set up channels 5-6 this time around.

Don't know that I will ever trust or use the card, but the failures seem to have gone away.  I've ordered a Sandisk extreme card for use in the MP-6.  I'll test that card when I get it, which I assume will be fine.  With any luck I won't see any more card failures, though I don't know that I'll bother running the Sony M10 as a backup recorder since I don't see much point.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
My first attempt to stealth the mixpre-3 didn't go so well.

The wand went bonkers when waved over the mixpre and 4023s behind my belt buckle.

So I got back to the car to repack. the 4023s went somewhere else where they wouldn't get wanded. The tascam dr100mkIii went in the same spot the mixpre was in previously.

This worked. Different wander but same routine and the tascam didn't go off.

Of note, this place used a gray wand that I've never seen before. In my experience, they usually use the Black and yellow ones.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
For both my field recording and my testing, I had the MP-6 set to advanced mode, recording at 24/48.  Field recording used 4 mic inputs and a LR mix track (channels 1&3 panned hard left, 2&4 panned hard right), in testing at home I added channels 5-6 as well.  Line output using the LR mix track, using a mix of channels 1&3 for left and 2&4 for right (in the home testing with channels 5-6 added, I didn't send those to the LR mix track as it was different source material).  LR mix signal routed post fade (blue).

In all cases, the dropouts occurred at the same time across all 4 (or 6) channels as well as the LR mix track.  I had external recorders attached to the line output and the headphone output (headphone on home testing only) and dropouts occurred at the same points on the external recorders as on the internal MP-6 recording.

No idea where and when I got the Sony card, or even where I was using it.  I gathered up all the high capacity SD cards I had from various recorders and cameras to use in the MP-6 and lost track of what was used where.  I don't recall having any trouble with the Sony card, or any other.

Wondering if there was some glitch on the card, earlier today I did a low level erase and re-formatting on it. First time through, it failed for some reason, so I did it again which seemed to work without incident.  Didn't think to try disk first aid before doing all this, but tried disk first aid after the second low-level reformat and it didn't show a problem.  Then I re-formatted it yet again in the MP-6 and set things up to re-test.  After about an hour of testing, I didn't have any dropouts on the recording to the Sony card, and no dropouts on the two external recorders patched into the headphone and line outputs (unsurprisingly).  Only 4 channels plus the LR mix track for this test, I didn't set up channels 5-6 this time around.

Don't know that I will ever trust or use the card, but the failures seem to have gone away.  I've ordered a Sandisk extreme card for use in the MP-6.  I'll test that card when I get it, which I assume will be fine.  With any luck I won't see any more card failures, though I don't know that I'll bother running the Sony M10 as a backup recorder since I don't see much point.

The MixPre outputs are not post SD card (except during playback obviously). The fact that you got audio dropouts on the Sony card and MixPre outputs at the same time suggests something else very strange is going on here. The outputs are totally independent from what's going on in terms of SD card data writes. Even with a slow card this should not happen - that would just result in a media too slow message and stop recording. If you haven't contacted Sound Devices tech support, you should do this asap so we can get to the bottom of what caused this. We would very much like to get our hands on this Sony SD card as well for evaluation.

Paul

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
If you haven't contacted Sound Devices tech support, you should do this asap so we can get to the bottom of what caused this. We would very much like to get our hands on this Sony SD card as well for evaluation.

Paul

This is why I like giving SD my money.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
If you haven't contacted Sound Devices tech support, you should do this asap so we can get to the bottom of what caused this. We would very much like to get our hands on this Sony SD card as well for evaluation.

Paul

This is why I like giving SD my money.
cant beat that response as much as it might such to deal with, many places wouldn't care
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline b_curl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
100%

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2017, 12:57:18 AM »
Mine showed up today.  It was the 3rd courier delivery of the day and every time I heard a truck pulled up I got giddy.  Here is is laid on top of my R-44 that is being sent to pasture. 

I pulled out my old Protabrace RM-Multi and it fits perfectly in the POCKET of the RM-Multi.  It is hard to believe that my new recorder fits in the pocket of the accessory bag to my old DAT recorder.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2017, 07:58:04 AM »
Boom...thanks Paul, we all appreciate your support!

The MixPre outputs are not post SD card (except during playback obviously). The fact that you got audio dropouts on the Sony card and MixPre outputs at the same time suggests something else very strange is going on here. The outputs are totally independent from what's going on in terms of SD card data writes. Even with a slow card this should not happen - that would just result in a media too slow message and stop recording. If you haven't contacted Sound Devices tech support, you should do this asap so we can get to the bottom of what caused this. We would very much like to get our hands on this Sony SD card as well for evaluation.

Paul

Offline Todd R

« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »

Paul

Thanks much for reaching out Paul and for your great customer support.  I will check in with tech support about this.

I did more testing using 4 mic channels + the LR mix track recording at 192k onto a Sandisk Class 2 card I had lying about.  No media slow warnings, but more dropouts as described before on both the internal MP6 recording and on the line output and headphone out (as recorded by my Zoom H4n and Sony M10).  Everything chugging along fine and then the sound cuts out and meters zero out for a second or two, then back to normal. 

I haven't found this on any other cards, but I'll keep testing. 6 channels of recording at 192k should require higher speed than class 2 (class 4 at a minimum?), but I wasn't getting any media too slow errors, just the dropouts.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Todd R

« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2017, 02:03:10 PM »
On a positive note, I can report based on all this testing that the power management of the Mixpre-6 is incredibly robust.  While using USB-C power, I've pulled off the AA battery pack while recording without causing any glitches to the recording.  Conversely, while using the USB-C powering and with the AA battery pack in place, I've removed the USB-C cable from the MP6 to switch from a USB battery to a USB wall wart and also switched between USB battery and USB wall wart while keeping the USB-C side of the cable still connected to the MP-6.  In all cases, the MP-6 kept chugging along with no interruption to the recording.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
I got my tracking number from Dale Pro audio.  It should arrive Tuesday. 

Has anyone used the wingman app on It?  I'm considering an used outdated iPad mini so I can control it remotely.

I played with this some more and while the range is pretty good, I just don't see it as useful for concert taping. I don't believe there is a way to change gain, just check levels. So while it's cool to be able to set it up 30 feet away, you still have to walk over to adjust gain. In your case I don't think buying an iPad makes sense since you can't really remotely control anything other than to start or stop recording
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:47:42 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
I got my tracking number from Dale Pro audio.  It should arrive Tuesday. 

Has anyone used the wingman app on It?  I'm considering an used outdated iPad mini so I can control it remotely.

I played with this some more and while the range is pretty good, I just don't see it as useful for concert taping. I don't believe there is a way to change gain, just check levels. So while it's cool to be able to set it up 30 feet away, you still have to walk over to adjust gain. In your case I don't think buying an iPad makes sense since you can't really remotely control anything other than to start or stop recording

From using the app on a Zoom F8, in my opinion the value of these apps is the ability to remotely monitor your recording, not necessarily having remote control-ability.  I love that I don't need to be peeking in my bag every so often to check levels, battery status, and that the recording is still going.  While an iPad is great for increased display size, I gotta say that I also love being able to stick my iphone/monitor in my pocket and walk around with it.  Bluetooth range should give you around 50 or 60 feet if the Bluetooth signal is clear and unimpeded...maybe 15 or 20 feet in a crowd.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:01:38 PM by fivedollarbill »

Offline nuutron

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »
Looks like Vintage King Audio has the Mixpre 3 and 6 in stock. They have them on eBay and their site.

https://vintageking.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=mixpre

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Does the cable wiggle up and down while connected? Looks nice.

No it does wiggle at all.

Out of curiosity does it move up and down if it isn't wrapped like that?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
Does the cable wiggle up and down while connected? Looks nice.

No it does wiggle at all.

Out of curiosity does it move up and down if it isn't wrapped like that?

The USB-C cables in use in computers, phones, and the mixpre6 are designed such that the cable is unlikely to be disconnected unless pulled out intentionally. There is a firm "click" when inserting, and the slight wiggle room doesn't affect the connection of either power or data.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com