Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 113253 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
^ So one pair of each in your MixPre battery test?

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2017, 07:32:53 AM »
Nbox vs MixPre 3  size comp
my new stealth rig (maybe) all depends on how it sounds :-)

Just sick.

Online ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:30 AM »
Seems like it's time for a clearly articulated cheat sheet to menu options suited for two channel (and other configs) recording. Can someone whip one up as this thread has fast become confusing.

Yes. Exactly what I wanted to say but was to afraid. These things are super confusing.

Offline hipporu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »
^ So one pair of each in your MixPre battery test?
Yes )

Ordered BlitzWolf BW-P5 15600 mAh QC 3.0 Dual USB. While on the road.
https://mysku.ru/blog/china-stores/49094.html
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »
Seems like it's time for a clearly articulated cheat sheet to menu options suited for two channel (and other configs) recording. Can someone whip one up as this thread has fast become confusing.

Yes. Exactly what I wanted to say but was to afraid. These things are super confusing.

hipporu posted links to preset files for 2- and 4-channel set-ups with phantom power.  You can put them on an SD card and then load them into the recorder.  Maybe that helps?

I set the recorder in the "iso mode" (as was written above) and saved it as a preset, which would not repeat the confusing procedure every time.
You can take this preset, place it in the settings folder on the card, load it when the recorder is started, change other settings if necessary.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-M9vh-K8KZmNEgyOHRXZjhPUkE

Yes )

Thanks!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
Here's what the mixpre6 can do:

Soulive with John Scofield, the Shady Horns, John Scofield, & Marcus King
June 15, 2017
Brooklyn Bowl
Brooklyn, NY

Source: Schoeps mk22 (NOS) + Mk3 (12 Foot Split) stage lip> Nbob Actives> Naiant PFA> SD Mixpre6 @ 24bit 48kHz.
Transfer: SD Card> Macbook Pro> Reaper (mix + DSP)> Sound Studio (Tracking + Fades)> xact (Tagging and flacing)

16 Bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=593684
24 Bit: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=593685
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »
Sweet! Thank you!

June 15, 2017
Brooklyn Bowl
Brooklyn, NY

Source: Schoeps mk22 (NOS) + Mk3 (12 Foot Split) stage lip> Nbob Actives> Naiant PFA> SD Mixpre6 @ 24bit 48kHz.
Transfer: SD Card> Macbook Pro> Reaper (mix + DSP)> Sound Studio (Tracking + Fades)> xact (Tagging and flacing)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

June 15, 2017
Brooklyn Bowl
Brooklyn, NY

Thanks Noah!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
Using the deck is the best way to figure out how to use it. I tried for the first time last night, Mix Pre 6, ran 6 channels no mix and really it was a breeze. I powered it with a USB C Power Bank RAVPower 26800 PD Portable Charger 26800mAh, and after a 35 minute set and a 154 minute set, it had not gone down even 1 led. Since I always use external power, this was business as usual for me except it was USB C instead of USB Micro. In my setup, there is no way that the USB C input would be compromised with the gear in a bag, there was just no way for anything to touch it. Perhaps it would be a problem for some if maybe the deck was crammed in where there is no space on the sides but even then, I have 2 XLR stubbies coming out on each side of the deck short cables, 8 inches in length that my mics attach to (Courtesy of Mr. Darktrain) and that protects the USB C output, even though it is a stubbie, it comes out enough to be protection. I ran in custom mode, with only my gain in basic mode allowing me to use the 4 pots for gain. That said 2 minutes into the warm-up band, I had a feel for the levels and settings and had no further need to touch the gain. I knew the headliner (Pokey Lafarge, First Ave Mpls, MN) would not be as loud , so I increased gain a bit prior to the start and still ran very conservatively. It may take a while to post as there is construction going on at home, but it sounds great as everyone else has reported. I planned to use my Tinybox to run channels 5/6, but had the perfect spot to run my USB Pre 2, and that allowed me to run digital into my Tascam DR100MKIII just in case... I like the poly files, which show up in soundforge as separate tracks all on the screen together which allows me to track everything at once and then save each recording separately. I like to record one cardioid, one hyper cardioid and one Omni and see which I like best, so I don't mix them, that never sounds good. Using a 128gb card, the file size is 4gb (give or take a few kb's), but because it is recording poly files which are all together, the 4gb limit is reached at 24/48 after about an hour and 25 min. Of course the split is seamless so that is not an issue. I assume, and maybe someone can confirm this, that if you use 32gb or less, the file split would be at 2gb, because of the limitation of the FAT32 system. Anyone who runs a Marantz deck would be used to the 4gb limit, but of course the poly files will be split at whatever point, determined by using 2/4/6 or 8 tracks at a time.

I really liked the glowing pots, I found the deck easy to figure out, but I played with every menu to see what was where.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:07:20 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dpower

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
Nice setup, dallman.

What bag is that you're using?

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
I assume, and maybe someone can confirm this, that if you use 32gb or less, the file split would be at 2gb, because of the limitation of the FAT32 system. Anyone who runs a Marantz deck would be used to the 4gb limit, but of course the poly files will be split at whatever point, determined by using 2/4/6 or 8 tracks at a time.

The file seamless splits are always at 4GB regardless of card size or whether FAT32 or ExFAT. The 4GB limit is a .wav file format limit.

Paul

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »
I assume, and maybe someone can confirm this, that if you use 32gb or less, the file split would be at 2gb, because of the limitation of the FAT32 system. Anyone who runs a Marantz deck would be used to the 4gb limit, but of course the poly files will be split at whatever point, determined by using 2/4/6 or 8 tracks at a time.

The file seamless splits are always at 4GB regardless of card size or whether FAT32 or ExFAT. The 4GB limit is a .wav file format limit.

Paul

Paul:

1. Congratulations of a great product! We're a demanding bunch here, but at least from my experience, this is one of the most useful products for "what we do" to come along in a long while. That it does so at its price point makes it a classic.

2. Thank you for being here and for your continued assistance.

3.  When's the new firmware drop?  :smash:
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
Nice setup, dallman.

What bag is that you're using?
Thanks!! The bag is a Kata Koala 1 Bag purchased here in the yard sale from Bean many years ago.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »

Paul
Thanks Paul! That makes total sense but of course if I had a good memory, I probably wouldn't need to record every show I go to  ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #359 on: June 16, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »
I got my MP6 yesterday, and already have it all setup and recorded the TV last night with AA's! I'm trying to see how long my old USB A battery lasts with the MixPre's Dual USB A>USB C cable right now! Already got my DarkTrain Rt Angle STubby XLR's, and I'm just waiting on my Anker PowerCore+ 20,100mah USB C Battery and Anker 60w C>C Cable with Power Delivery!

I am ONLY using SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards with my MP6, so I hope that I never have the issues that ToddR is having :(

Here's a few pics with the DT Rt Angle Stubbies & 60v PFA's hooked up to my MP6! I'm using a HoneyComb 10,000mah USB A Battery with the SD Dual USB A>C Cable right now to see how long that'll run the MP6!

FWIW, I ran the MP6 through some tests yesterday and I ONLY got around 2hrs with 6 channels [4 DAUD 60v PFA's + LR Mix] and my 2,300mah Energizer AA's! Even when I turned Bluetooth OFF and the LR Mix OFF, I still only got about 2 hours, so I'm GUESSING that the Bluetooth and LR Mix don't take up too much battery power! I'm doing more battery testing & playing around every day so I'll keep yinz posted on battery runtimes and if I have any symptoms or problems!

Also, if you want to use those nice big gain knobs on the FRONT of the Mp6, and NOT use the menu, you have to be setup in CUSTOM MODE, and then Select BASIC under the gain option! BINGO, now you have complete gain control over the ISO tracks with the nice big gain knobs, instead of having to use the menu to add gain like in Advanced Mode :P ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:52:27 AM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com