Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744T question  (Read 6010 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
744T question
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:31:18 PM »
I sent my unit in for clean and service check up etc and all my settings were reset. I have everything straight except linking the levels knobs...right now 1 and 2 are independent. ..I had it set so 1 was levels 2 was balance...help please :)
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 744T question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
I sent my unit in for clean and service check up etc and all my settings were reset. I have everything straight except linking the levels knobs...right now 1 and 2 are independent. ..I had it set so 1 was levels 2 was balance...help please :)

Mine is currently in for service, so I can't say exact menu item #, but it's saying Linking..

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »
It is an input setting for Input 1,2, menu option 29 I think. Go to the menu and look between the mic input and line input settings. Factory default is unlinked that can be changed to linked. Make sure that the Input 1,2 gain control is set to "front panel."  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:15:57 PM by nolamule »

Offline waltmon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks brother...been up and down the menu...

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
While we're on the topic of 744T questions...
I'd like to utilize the hold option when recording so I can't do anything stupid, like turn off the machine.  Is there a front panel button that does this, and will I still be able to tweak the levels via the pots if the hold is on?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:21:04 PM by nak700s »
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
If memory serves me correctly, both pots stay active while the recorder is locked. That is why you can retract them by pressing the pot down.

From the manual:

Press and hold the backlight key then the tone key to bring up the front panel Button Lock Screen. Button lock prevents unintentional changing of settings or record status.The 744T displays any but- ton lock options enabled.
select the soft buttons to activate the appropriate button lock mode
There are three modes:
• Unlocked – all buttons are accessible and operate normally.
• Non-Transport Lock – All front panel controls are locked except the Record, Stop, Play, Re-
wind and Fast Forward.
• Lock All – All front panel keys are locked except the Record key. The Record key is kept ac-
tive so the user can initiate recording after entering this mode and enter cue markers. To stop recording in this mode, you must disengage the panel lock and hit the stop key.

I'd like to utilize the hold option when recording so I can do anything stupid, like turn off the machine.  Is there a front panel button that does this, and will I still be able to tweak the levels via the pots if the hold is on?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:54:32 PM by nolamule »

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
 :coolguy:
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
If memory serves me correctly, both pots stay active while the recorder is locked. That is why you can retract them by pressing the pot down.

From the manual:

Press and hold the backlight key then the tone key to bring up the front panel Button Lock Screen. Button lock prevents unintentional changing of settings or record status.The 744T displays any but- ton lock options enabled.
select the soft buttons to activate the appropriate button lock mode
There are three modes:
• Unlocked – all buttons are accessible and operate normally.
• Non-Transport Lock – All front panel controls are locked except the Record, Stop, Play, Re-
wind and Fast Forward.
• Lock All – All front panel keys are locked except the Record key. The Record key is kept ac-
tive so the user can initiate recording after entering this mode and enter cue markers. To stop recording in this mode, you must disengage the panel lock and hit the stop key.

I'd like to utilize the hold option when recording so I can do anything stupid, like turn off the machine.  Is there a front panel button that does this, and will I still be able to tweak the levels via the pots if the hold is on?  Thanks in advance.

Regarding the front panel shortcuts that use the 'Tone' button, be careful not to press this button first because the Tone signal can be accidentally recorded if the signal is routed to the Tracks.

You can control how the Tone signal is routed in the Menu via the option 'Tone: Mode'. My preference is to disable it entirely, however you can leave Tone engaged and route it to Tracks, Tracks and Outputs, or only Outputs. If you leave it set to outputs, you'll want to be aware of any downstream analog patchers as accidentally pressing the Tone button would send it to their recording.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »
I found an old thread that sort of covered me, so I’m adding more to it. (Sorry.)

I am currently running 2 synced R44s and I wanted to run 2 stereo channels of SPDIF or aes in from digital preamps.
744T units are suddenly affordable, but I don’t think they can do it. Also, how do you guys deal with that giant battery sticking out of the bottom?

Thanks for any help!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline waltmon

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
The 744 deck usually sits in a suspension in the bag...if it doesn't have one I used a couple foam blocks.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 12:40:23 PM »
I found an old thread that sort of covered me, so I’m adding more to it. (Sorry.)

I am currently running 2 synced R44s and I wanted to run 2 stereo channels of SPDIF or aes in from digital preamps.
744T units are suddenly affordable, but I don’t think they can do it. Also, how do you guys deal with that giant battery sticking out of the bottom?

Thanks for any help!

The 744 does have 2 AES inputs (4 channels of AES) and flexible routing so you should be able to run with an external Digi-Pre.  The 744T does not have real-time sample rate conversion so the 744 will have to sync to the Digipre and both AES inputs must be in sync themselves - you would need to step up to a 788T for this.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »

Thanks for any help!

You can run a 4-track recording that will be perfectly synced with the 744T.  There are 4 inputs, 2 mic ins which can also act as line ins and 2 line ins.  You can use the phantom power on the mic ins to eliminate a pre amp if you'd like.  Personally, if I want to minimize my load, I can use my Crown mics > mic in with the phantom power, while going into the line in with my Naks since they are self powered.  I generally do the opposite though and use a pre.  The beauty of this is that you have complete control over all 4 tracks independently.  I do line ins from soundboards every week with a pair of mics, and can mix any amount of each into the final mix when editing.  this is why I wanted the 744T in the first place, and it works perfectly.

As for the battery, I plug one in no matter what, just as a back-up even if I don't need it.  I also use an external battery that plugs into the hirose AC plug, which supplies 12V.  The Petrol bag I use (there are other companies too) suspends the 744T with adjustable straps on both sides of the battery, so there's no extra space needed.  When I don't use that bag, I roll up a cloth that I use for wrapping something else up and use it to level the deck out on the side the battery is not on.

Reducing your load from 2 R44's to 1 744T would be a wonderful thing for you...Enjoy, it's a great machine!
Simple & Sweet!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

Thanks for any help!

You can run a 4-track recording that will be perfectly synced with the 744T.  There are 4 inputs, 2 mic ins which can also act as line ins and 2 line ins.  You can use the phantom power on the mic ins to eliminate a pre amp if you'd like.  Personally, if I want to minimize my load, I can use my Crown mics > mic in with the phantom power, while going into the line in with my Naks since they are self powered.  I generally do the opposite though and use a pre.  The beauty of this is that you have complete control over all 4 tracks independently.  I do line ins from soundboards every week with a pair of mics, and can mix any amount of each into the final mix when editing.  this is why I wanted the 744T in the first place, and it works perfectly.

All perfectly true, but as H₂O mentions above, the issue here is 4 channels of digital in, and you're only touting the (true) analog input specs.

To reiterate, you can potentially use the 744t do this but:

1. The 744t can't do real time SRC, so the recorder must be set at the same sample rate as the incoming streams, both of which must match.
2. The 2 stereo AES/EBU streams must already be in sync. (So two mini-me or v3 feeds won't work, as there is no way to sync them, as both lack a WC input)
3. some spdif signals probably won't work as it is AES only.

What gear are you using to send two digi streams? We might be able to be more helpful if we know what the other gear is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:04:25 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
My bad.  I'm at work when looking at TS, and reading and writing between phone calls, so I get interrupted constantly.  I didn't pay attention.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:39 AM »
Ha!
I'm trying to find a way to use 2 acmV3 units, but so far that looks like it will be REALLY expensive.
The smallest thing seems to be the Sound Devices 633, which is way too much unit for what I'm trying to do.
Right now I think I can run each V3 into a PMD661, then RCA > XLR those out to an R44. Its a LOT of gear, but once you haul in 2 V3s with batteries, its a backbreaker anyway.
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com