Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 internal mics distorting bass drum beats  (Read 30456 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: Edirol R-09 internal mics distorting bass drum beats
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
People on download sites have proven time and time again that quality is not the most important characteristic  they take into consideration when choosing what they will download.

^
Agree 100%
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
People on download sites have proven time and time again that quality is not the most important characteristic  they take into consideration when choosing what they will download.

^
Agree 100%

^What they said!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
 ^^^ Yup, no question about it ^^^
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
well furby's criteria for sound quality are number of dime downloads and size of flac files (see John Fogerty thread from the past) which are dependent upon flac level used (I always use 8 for highest lossless compression) and neither have remotely ANYTHING to do with sound quality.  As long as he believes his sounds best based on his criteria more power to him.  No one else seems to think agree so we must all be clueless and need our ears adjusted.  yeah right.   :iamwithstupid:  :iamwithstupid:  :iamwithstupid:

Still waiting for him to step up and take the challenge Nak700 presented and if he had any balls put some cold hard cash behind it.  Make it $10, $100, $1,000, $10,000.  Name the number. 

Again, number of Dime downloads means nothing.  An unlistenable first show of a tour recorded with an iphone will always get more downloads on a site like dime than the best recording posted a few days later.  Proves NOTHING. 

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2017, 03:37:25 AM »
Just putting this out there... basing the quality of a recording on the # of people who download it is specious at best. You could take the same recording captured in 24bit and create torrents of a non resample/dithered version and a version using compressed .mp3 and the heavily manipulated version will get more downloads every time. People on download sites have proven time and time again that quality is not the most important characteristic  they take into consideration when choosing what they will download.

other than the artist, it's the only characteristic I consider.

why have a hard drive full of dissonant, hissy noise?

will I occasionally snag a sub-par recording for either nostalgia or rarity?

sure.

but because it's 24 bit?  (the DAT/Betamax of bitcount)

not a chance.

well furby's criteria for sound quality are number of dime downloads and size of flac files (see John Fogerty thread from the past) which are dependent upon flac level used (I always use 8 for highest lossless compression) and neither have remotely ANYTHING to do with sound quality.  As long as he believes his sounds best based on his criteria more power to him.  No one else seems to think agree so we must all be clueless and need our ears adjusted.  yeah right.   :iamwithstupid:  :iamwithstupid:  :iamwithstupid:

Again, number of Dime downloads means nothing.  An unlistenable first show of a tour recorded with an iphone will always get more downloads on a site like dime than the best recording posted a few days later.  Proves NOTHING. 

dynamic range and oversaturated peaks are a great place to start when comparing sound quality.

my EYES are telling me what I'm telling you...and then my ears; not the other way around

I can film the motherfucking EQ for 30 seconds with both sources playing, youtube the vids, and use a toothpick to *show* you what I am saying.

this isn't "my ear is better than your ear".

I'm using 2 senses vs. 1. (we'll leave your overall musical taste out of the discussion)

when you throw in that it was basically shoulder-on-shoulder where I was taping from, and it's amazing it came out at all, much less as good as it did.

or, I wasn't even really *trying*, other  than the "getting close to stack" part....and still nailed a damn good recording.

re: trying.....I could have backed up 10 ft against the fence (or not paid and sat behind it) and probably made an even better capture. (always seem to find a group of talkers somehow, but a fence would have mitigated that, my Primus '13 and Janes Addiction '15 at the Loon came out like soundboards taped from behind the fence...NO crowd noise, and the Tascam 4ft. up in a tree)...

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »
Just putting this out there... basing the quality of a recording on the # of people who download it is specious at best. You could take the same recording captured in 24bit and create torrents of a non resample/dithered version and a version using compressed .mp3 and the heavily manipulated version will get more downloads every time. People on download sites have proven time and time again that quality is not the most important characteristic  they take into consideration when choosing what they will download.

other than the artist, it's the only characteristic I consider.

why have a hard drive full of dissonant, hissy noise?

will I occasionally snag a sub-par recording for either nostalgia or rarity?

sure.

but because it's 24 bit?  (the DAT/Betamax of bitcount)

not a chance.

dynamic range and oversaturated peaks are a great place to start when comparing sound quality.

my EYES are telling me what I'm telling you...and then my ears; not the other way around

I can film the motherfucking EQ for 30 seconds with both sources playing, youtube the vids, and use a toothpick to *show* you what I am saying.

this isn't "my ear is better than your ear".

I'm using 2 senses vs. 1. (we'll leave your overall musical taste out of the discussion)

when you throw in that it was basically shoulder-on-shoulder where I was taping from, and it's amazing it came out at all, much less as good as it did.

or, I wasn't even really *trying*, other  than the "getting close to stack" part....and still nailed a damn good recording.

re: trying.....I could have backed up 10 ft against the fence (or not paid and sat behind it) and probably made an even better capture. (always seem to find a group of talkers somehow, but a fence would have mitigated that, my Primus '13 and Janes Addiction '15 at the Loon came out like soundboards taped from behind the fence...NO crowd noise, and the Tascam 4ft. up in a tree)...

:facepalm:  :iamwithstupid:  that's all you deserve with your nonsense.   Still waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is.  I sure am.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »

:facepalm:  :iamwithstupid:  that's all you deserve with your nonsense.   Still waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is.  I sure am.

when you come up with a contest with acceptable vs. rigid rules, get back to me.

the tortoise always wins, silly.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »

when you come up with a contest with acceptable vs. rigid rules, get back to me.

the tortoise always wins, silly.

Let's hear your rules.  Who makes a better  :zoomie1: recording isn't a competition, I don't stoop that low.

mfrench

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
link expired

R09 vs. DPA 4022 -> Grace V3 -> SD 722 (DIN stereo @ 9')
Same mic stand, w/ R09 a bit lower due to no sound checking; an impromptu recording by conductors request. He was curious as to how the internals of the R09 sounded, as he was considering buying one for rehearsals, music lessons, composing.

Hall,... multi-purpose room at Country Club Golf Course - not a music hall.  You'll hear stuff in the recording, like HVAC.
And, its acoustic music, and not some bloated PA sounds.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:22:00 PM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
So... Did anyone listen? ^
thoughts??

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2017, 08:47:04 AM »
I prefer track 2. More vibrant, less noise. The noise floor on track 1 seems fairly high. But, track 1 is not unlistenable and with loud PA music, the noise floor may be less noticeable.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

mfrench

« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2017, 04:35:51 PM »
I prefer track 2 as well. But, track 1 has always impressed me, given the $20 worth of capsules vs the $5500 of capsules (or whatever a 402x stereo kit retails for these days).
The noise,... is typical air conditioning noise that are apparent with omnis. I hear that difference in noise a lot as I typically will record more than one source at a time, a card source, and an omni source, and compare them. The noise is less so with the cards, as i was high up, and aiming downward about 45ยบ from horizontal. So the HVAC noise is not as direct.
Thanks for playing.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »

Let's hear your rules. 

for my favorite terrorist daspy....

the #NineElevenShowdown: 2 shows/1 day

I plan on following The Magpie Salute all thru the Bay Area. (Sept 7 thru 12)

BUT, knowing the Crowes like I do, that would be too easy to pin the tail on daspy....I've nailed so many "sweet spot" Crowes recordings, it's ridiculous. shit, my tapes hit etree, 20 years after the fact, and nearly 300 pulls if not more than that on all of them just there (and that was *after* Weber whored them out).

and another couple hundred on dime and TTD.

SOOOOOOO, Mavis Staples is playing a brewery in Petaluma, 4:20 till 9:00pm....THEN Steve Winwood (with Lilly opening) at 8pm at Luther Burbank in Santa Rosa.

the towns are 18 miles apart.

on "terrorist day" (appros, no?)

I've never seen either *nor* taped at either venue (yeah, I'll go on his home turf, as it's clear he'd never set foot in Alaska)

BONUS points for whoever captures more of the music.

one show is GA (apparently, and possibly with free tickets)

will have to cut my cannabis seed buying expedition short, but that's ok.

just to prove daspy wrong.

thoughts?

are you man enough daspy?

-Steve
-------------

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »
Hey Steve. Make sure when you get to the bay area to tell em you take it "balls deep".
You'll fit right in. Maybe it's time to come out of the closet? And hows those beasters going?
Don't see you pumping your chest about the commercial schwag you grow. Wonder why ::)

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2017, 05:05:04 AM »
this is from before I even knew what I was doing with the internals.

werd:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=599523

internal mic recording from 4 years ago. and it sounds fantastic.

now that I know what I'm doing, this may be easier than I thought.

I'm gonna hit Winwood and Mavis regardless of what Douchespy does.

as I don't expect her to walk the walk.

#wordsarecheap
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:39:57 AM by Brian Skalinder »
-------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com