Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R26 Thread  (Read 3619 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Roland R26 Thread
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
Using one of these for the first time. Messed with it this morning and it seems pretty user friendly. A few questions though...

(I'll either be running CM33 XLR IN + SBD > attenuator > Mic (line?) in, or CM33 XLR IN + CA14 omni > 9100 > Mic (Line?) in)

-XLR input I assume I want the "link" setting for a stereo pair?
-XLR sensitivity - maybe this is because I've never used a recorder quite like this, but I'm a bit lost on where to set this
-Mic input sensitivity - it gives me a high/mid/low option?
-limiter & low cut filter - I assume I want to turn these off?
-In terms of setting of levels with the dials on the front, how much of this do you try to do, or is this primerily set by the sensitivity options you have to choose on the touch screen?

Any other tips are welcomed! I did some searching on the board, but didn't see a ton on the R26...so hopefully there are some of y'all who can help.

Really happy with what I heard monitoring my stereo cranked this AM, and with how it's operating / battery life thus far.

Thanks!!

--------

Didn't see much discussion on the R26, at least nothing recent, so I made this the r26 thread for any continued discussion.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:23:50 PM by heesu »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Roland R26 Newb - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
In order of your questions:

1. Yes.
2. It depends on the show. I think I usually ended up at -8 or -14, but depends on the mics. Roughly, set that somewhere where if the level knob is at 12 o'clock, it is peaking at around -12. Just a good general rule of thumb. You don't want it set too high-- always better to add gain than overload the preamp.
3. If you're using that for SBDs, set that to "LOW". But you will probably still need an attenuator. I recommend the dual female XLR>mini plug -24dB attenuator from Naiant. If you're running the CA-14 omni, also use LOW. Of course the problem you have there is you probably shouldn't go CA-14>batt box>mini plug input (since you're effectively adding power on top of power). I only tried to run small mics into it once and it didn't go that well. Do you know how much power that input supplies? Otherwise I think you'll need to get an attenuator to bring the sensitivity of that input down to line level. But I guess best to just try it with the CA-14 on LOW and see if it works, both with and without the BB.
4. Yes, turn that shit off.
5. You generally don't want to be in a position where you have to turn the levels down from 12 o'clock; OK if you need to turn them up from 12 o'clock (this was at least the case on the R-44, and I continued to do the same with the -26). But like I said, just get the sensitivity so that the levels are peaking "OK" and then feel free to increase them via the knobs.

Using one of these for the first time. Messed with it this morning and it seems pretty user friendly. A few questions though...

(I'll either be running CM33 XLR IN + SBD > attenuator > Mic (line?) in, or CM33 XLR IN + CA14 omni > 9100 > Mic (Line?) in)

-XLR sensitivity - maybe this is because I've never used a recorder quite like this, but I'm a bit lost on where to set this
-In terms of setting of levels with the dials on the front, how much of this do you try to do, or is this primerily set by the sensitivity options you have to choose on the touch screen?

Any other tips are welcomed! I did some searching on the board, but didn't see a ton on the R26...so hopefully there are some of y'all who can help.

Really happy with what I heard monitoring my stereo cranked this AM, and with how it's operating / battery life thus far.

Thanks!!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
Thanks!

For #3 in the scenario where I'm running mics into the mic input, I guess that's the issue with it not being a true line-in, no? From what I gather the 9100 sends 4.7V to the mics, but it's been hard to come up with a clear answer there (based on searching this board). Is there any risk to the mics running them through the battery box?

Edit - on the R26 it looks like I can turn plug in power on the mic-in off, that should be good enough, no?

I guess what I'll probably find is that running a 2nd set up mics through that input just won't be worth it from a sound standpoint. SBD (I have that attenuator cable en route) obviously makes sense, but maybe running the extra set of mics just won't make much of a difference - and if I wanted to run a backup, I could just use my D50, or even my old tascam dr07 line in.

In order of your questions:

1. Yes.
2. It depends on the show. I think I usually ended up at -8 or -14, but depends on the mics. Roughly, set that somewhere where if the level knob is at 12 o'clock, it is peaking at around -12. Just a good general rule of thumb. You don't want it set too high-- always better to add gain than overload the preamp.
3. If you're using that for SBDs, set that to "LOW". But you will probably still need an attenuator. I recommend the dual female XLR>mini plug -24dB attenuator from Naiant. If you're running the CA-14 omni, also use LOW. Of course the problem you have there is you probably shouldn't go CA-14>batt box>mini plug input (since you're effectively adding power on top of power). I only tried to run small mics into it once and it didn't go that well. Do you know how much power that input supplies? Otherwise I think you'll need to get an attenuator to bring the sensitivity of that input down to line level. But I guess best to just try it with the CA-14 on LOW and see if it works, both with and without the BB.
4. Yes, turn that shit off.
5. You generally don't want to be in a position where you have to turn the levels down from 12 o'clock; OK if you need to turn them up from 12 o'clock (this was at least the case on the R-44, and I continued to do the same with the -26). But like I said, just get the sensitivity so that the levels are peaking "OK" and then feel free to increase them via the knobs.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:46:31 PM by heesu »

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
One more...it looks like the 4 channel setup has a analog+ plug in & analog (s) + plug in

Any idea on what the (S)? means?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
PIP off "low sens" on the mini input is still not line level; it's just not providing power. I think you could still potentially risk overloading if you run CA>BB>mini input. But give it a try.

I wouldn't bother running the 2nd mics personally unless you were putting them somewhere else (e.g., onstage). Lots of hassle for not much gain, if any.

I honestly don't remember the analog input setting you're referring to. You want it set to analog + plug-in. Maybe the (s) refers to them being linked? I don't remember. The manual should say something about it though.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
PIP off "low sens" on the mini input is still not line level; it's just not providing power. I think you could still potentially risk overloading if you run CA>BB>mini input. But give it a try.

I wouldn't bother running the 2nd mics personally unless you were putting them somewhere else (e.g., onstage). Lots of hassle for not much gain, if any.

I honestly don't remember the analog input setting you're referring to. You want it set to analog + plug-in. Maybe the (s) refers to them being linked? I don't remember. The manual should say something about it though.

Yeah, manual said nothing unfortunately. I'll know more in post, but playing around with it during the show the (s) version was fucking up something with my right channel.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »
Doing my first SBD / matrix work with the R26 tonight. Love this thing so far.

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland R26 Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 12:38:27 AM »
Good luck!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com