Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR-680mkII vs. DR-701D vs. F4  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DR-680mkII vs. DR-701D vs. F4
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
Not trying to talk you out of the F4, which I don't have experience with.  Just clarifying on the 680, with which I do.

Sleep tight.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »
I'm on my phone, heading into a  >:D show, so I'm limited in my typing and reading through the thread right now but this has been a good thread for talking deck merits. Sorry if covered and missed by me, but I am 100 % certain the preamps on the dr701d are different than the dr70d as I carefully researched that. I'm certain I heard the dr701d preamps  were the same as the Dr 680 mkII, but have no real proof of that. My gut says they are the same or quite similar from my recording with both.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »

Another question that I haven't been able to discern: does activating the "hold" switch on the 680mkII lock out everything?  The manual gives the impression that it just keeps the machine from powering off.  Does "hold" lock out the mechanical switches on the top of the deck?

My recollection is that the hold switch on the top affects turning the power on or off and locked, you cannot accidentally power off. I have my deck in a case, so I never have needed that button as it would be difficult to reach the power button when in use.
The lock button on the front controls the other buttons. I usually try to remember to use this although I have never accidentally stopped a recording or anything. Usually I engage the button, forget, and am hitting the stop button wondering for a moment why nothing is happening.   :) It's handy, but the layout of the deck is good, so I have never had an issue.

Edit to add: I was under the impression that the 701D can record the 4 XLR channels and a stereo feed from the 3.5mm jack as well, all at the same time.  Now I'm not so sure, but maybe I'm just confusing myself.  Can anyone confirm?

This is incorrect. I believe you can go 1/8 in, but the deck is only 4 channel. If you are using the 4XLR's there is no way to also go 1/8 input. There also is no mix track, which I never use and also which would be very easy to do in post if someone did want it.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
701d has improved preamps over 70d and the ability to be controlled over HDMI for DSLR camera recording.  To me, it would be easier to power by an external battery than the 680 which is a 12v recorder.  701d is also more compact. 

Never even looked at the SD card list for my 680mki and never had any issues. 

The more obvious differences are the size, channel count, form factor and HDMI control aspects, IMO.

And you can gang two 680ds together.  Don't know if you can gang 701ds together for more than 4 channels.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:56:15 AM by 2manyrocks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com