Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone work on AKG c460?  (Read 8283 times)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Anyone work on AKG c460?
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:43:54 AM »
I had some static in my c460 when it was lightly tapped or the stand was bumped and I couldn't figure it out.  Then one day, I pulled it out of the protective case and there was a "rattle" noise inside.  I opened it and a small cylindrical piece was completely loose.  I removed it, then put the mic back together.  The static noise was completely gone and the sound is great, but the output level is diminished.  When I run it on my Tascam DR-70 with my other c460 (regardless of which caps), I need to have the gain setting on Medium for the affected amplifier while the gain setting is on low for the non-affected amp.  I assume the cylinder piece is some preamp component.  It is strange that I can achieve the same sound quality by simply increasing the gain setting on my deck. 

Anyways,  I am wondering who may know how to fix this issue, and what sort of cost I may be looking at to get it fixed.  Or, does it need to be fixed if I primarily use it for loud shows?  I can attach pics tomorrow if necessary.  Thanks   
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Anyone work on AKG c460?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:45 AM »
I had luck with Richard Land at AKG Mic Repair with my old set of c460's when a preamp board went bad...he even installed a stereo pair of caps in the CK61's.

My guess is that he will just install another Preamp Board...don't get the feeling much board level diagnostics are done anymore...you may be better off and come out cheaper to look for another one.

Others have not had good experiences with him, mostly on older Large Diameter models that parts were unavailable.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
Thanks Hypnocracy.  I'll look into it.  I don't need a new one since this sounds fine and can be matched with my other one through gain adjustments on the deck.
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
This was four or five years ago...the preamp board replacement cost me $400...same with the two stereo pair caps $800 total...but they were close in SN so I wanted to keep it that way...they were closely matched when it was done...not inexpensive by a long shot.

I could have come out cheaper just replacing the body and holding on to the bad one

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
This was four or five years ago...the preamp board replacement cost me $400...same with the two stereo pair caps $800 total...but they were close in SN so I wanted to keep it that way...they were closely matched when it was done...not inexpensive by a long shot.

I could have come out cheaper just replacing the body and holding on to the bad one

I see them available for less than $300 with a ck61 cap included at Ebay.  I'm not concerned since it still sounds excellent, just needs more gain from the deck.  Thanks

Offline rumbleseat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:10:34 PM »
I would love to see good photos of your two boards, and the piece that fell off of one of them.  Then, we can have a guess as to what fell off and how to get it fixed.
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
I would love to see good photos of your two boards, and the piece that fell off of one of them.  Then, we can have a guess as to what fell off and how to get it fixed.

Pics

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
Hi!  Thanks for the photos.  They were helpful!

That broken part is a transformer, listed as AKG part number 1650Z0165.  It is identified on the schematic and board layout as U62 (or more accurately U "umlaut" with a pair of dots over it...) (see link for service manual below)
I saw on another forum that AKG/Harman had them as recently as 2012, and that same transformer is used in the C480B body, so there's hope that you can still get one from AKG.

AKG C460B service manual:
http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/akg/C460B-service.pdf

Here's the contact information from 2012:
Frank Rodriguez frodrigu@harman.com
Phone  +1 818 920-3279

If that doesn't work, try the current toll-free number for AKG Support to get through to the parts department: (800) 458-5534

It looks like the transformer attaches with 4 through-the-board soldered posts.  If you can find someone (or yourself) that is *really good* with a small soldering tool, it's a DIY job.

Hope this helps!!
Best of luck!
  - Randy

AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 02:43:05 AM »
Hi!  Thanks for the photos.  They were helpful!

That broken part is a transformer, listed as AKG part number 1650Z0165.  It is identified on the schematic and board layout as U62 (or more accurately U "umlaut" with a pair of dots over it...) (see link for service manual below)
I saw on another forum that AKG/Harman had them as recently as 2012, and that same transformer is used in the C480B body, so there's hope that you can still get one from AKG.

AKG C460B service manual:
http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/akg/C460B-service.pdf

Here's the contact information from 2012:
Frank Rodriguez frodrigu@harman.com
Phone  +1 818 920-3279

If that doesn't work, try the current toll-free number for AKG Support to get through to the parts department: (800) 458-5534

It looks like the transformer attaches with 4 through-the-board soldered posts.  If you can find someone (or yourself) that is *really good* with a small soldering tool, it's a DIY job.

Hope this helps!!
Best of luck!
  - Randy

Thanks for all these details Randy!  I will look into it for sure.  But, what exactly does the transformer do?  As mentioned earlier, it appears the sound quality is still the same as the other c460, just not as loud.  There is a rather dramatic difference, but for most of the live music I tape, putting my DR-70 on Medium or High gain works just fine because I can match the two channels with the gain pots.  Is this transformer necessary?

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
Sorry, I'm no good at figuring out what the electrons are doing.  It might be "fine" without the transformer, or it could be stressing other internal components (or your deck) and lead to further damage.  Best to get it repaired... 

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
I have this exact same problem now. Were you able to get yours fixed, Chris? Richard just quoted me $200+ to fix plus anything else that may need attention. It still works liek yours, but the output is about 15db lower than my good amplifier.

I can just buy a new body for less than that price. I may see if a local computer repair place can fix it for me if I can still get the part.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:49:14 PM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
I have this exact same problem now. Were you able to get yours fixed, Chris? Richard just quoted me $200+ to fix plus anything else that may need attention. It still works liek yours, but the output is about 15db lower than my good amplifier.

I can just buy a new body for less than that price. I may see if a local computer repair place can fix it for me if I can still get the part.

Whats the current status of PFA orders ?

That might be an alternate route. just dump the body entirely
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »

Whats the current status of PFA orders ?

That might be an alternate route. just dump the body entirely

I bought a set for MBHOs last fall and had them within 2 weeks, but email questions were not really returned.

I am assuming I will need an adapter for the capsule if I go that route.

To be honest, I'm not really looking to spend much more than what a replacement 460 would cost (~$150 for a nice one) as this is a backup rig.

EDIT: Just called Harman support and they had 12 of the part U62 (1650 Z 0165) in stock. $45 shipped. I'll see if one of the PCB engineering guys at work can get it hooked up for me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:54:36 PM by beegar »

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
Jim Williams at Audio upgrades.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 12:51:56 AM »
I ended up buying a set of nbobs  :cheers:

I have one working 460 which I will use for a ck62. Maybe I can get this other one working at some point.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com