Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Zoom R24 experts?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
TSKB: Zoom R24 experts?
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:25 PM »
I'm charged with archiving the product from a Jazz club that records every set that get's played there... part of its Non Profit charter.
We run 6 fixed mics (3 pair really) to a Zoom R24 as mono  tracks. This is the way the initial archivist did it from 2013. I'm heading into my second year at it and I'm stuck with something.

The documentation mentions producing a stereo track from two adjacent mono channels but I'm lost as to how this is done from a practical standpoint. The manual is kinda hard to get into... probably my fault... and what I think happens is it makes one stereo file. Not what I want at all.

I've tried to pan  the mono tracks to get some stereo field established but it's not quite there. I'm experimenting with the new Ozone Imager VST and it helps but the processing time goes up by about 2 times.

Does anyone use this recorder and employ the stereo output function? Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:46:03 AM by Ben Turnbull »
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: TSKB: Zoom R24 experts?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
My stepfather has this recorder. I think he mainly records everything to a mono track and listens to it when making a new track. I don't think he records all 8 channels at once, or if so, very rarely and not in a live scene.

I think you are right about the stereo file, but what is your objective with it? Do you want the three pairs of mics to be 3 stereo recordings?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:36:01 PM »
Can't you just dump the tracks into your computer and join them as stereo tracks in post? 
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, pueblo pending
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, dr70d, zoom f8, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
Can't you just dump the tracks into your computer and join them as stereo tracks in post?

I agree, that's probably the best way to do it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Page 40 and 41 of the manual seem to describe how to pan a mono track.
DPA4061 HEB/AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
Samson C02/Superlux S502 -> DR-680MKII
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> DR-680MKII

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
I roll the six mono tracks into Audition multitrack mode and mix/balance as needed. Despite each mic pair attempting to pull some sort of stereo pattern, the results in mix down still seem very narrow. I try to pan each pair in post but the product just isn't pleasing. I'll look at those manual pages again, but one of my problems is that I don't man the gear every night. There is a group of volunteers who've been told which buttons to push and they can do that. To start adding menu navigator to the instruction set is not gonna happen every night.

The other problem is that, for now, there is very little flexibility in the set up, so the cello/alto duo and the piano quintet and the 17 piece big band all are getting the same mic coverage. When I do go down I add my DPA 4021s to the mix and monitor the system but that's only one or two nights a week.

Thanks for your feed back guys.
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
I re-read the manual tonight and it finally clicked. I think I got two stereo tracks cut by the file names... STE- vs MONO- is a giveaway I think.  ;D  We'll see how they sound and if they mix any better. Thanks all.

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
FWIW to anyone, the stereo files cut from this device sound much better than mono tracs. The only thing that I'm going to struggle with is inconsistency of set  up.  The pairing of channels into a "stereo track" is May not Be kept session to session. It must be set up each time. 'Makes sense I guess but I can't train 5 or 6 different people to do this level of "engineering" each time.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:05:08 PM by Ben Turnbull »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com