Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone

(1/2) > >>

gihl:
I am new to audio recording.  ::)
Recently. I sold the Tascam DR-100MKIII recorder and I am interested in Audio-Technica AT2022 X/Y stereo microphone.
Is this AT2022 microphone obviously better than the DR-100MKIII's directional stereo microphone?

I usually record the sounds of towns and cities.
It's a very basic question, but I seek your advice.  :)
Thank you for reading.

p.s. Is it useless to record these sounds using a mono microphone like AT4022?

billydee:
Hi there.
I have no idea what the DR-100MKIII internal mics sound like but, I recently purchased a slightly used AT2022 from a friend on here and am happy with results from the few times I've used it.

Two of the three times I used it as part of a matrix with a soundboard, and I did use it standalone/wide open at a recent outdoor blues festival and they sound pretty good.
The mic can be set at an either 90 or 120 degree pattern, I've only used them in the 90 degree pattern.

That's about all I can mention, for now, hope it helps.

Gutbucket:

--- Quote ---I usually record the sounds of towns and cities.
Is it useless to record these sounds using a mono microphone like AT4022?
--- End quote ---

It's a stereo microphone with left and right outputs.  As a coincident stereo arrangement (left and right mic capsules located in the same point in space) it's compact and convenient, yet the resulting recording will sound more focused and somewhat less "open, airy and 3-dimensional" than a microphone arrangement with some space between the capsules.  For general ambience recording, the more open 120 degree setting will usually be most appropriate.  If your recording is intended to focus on one particular sound or source within a sound environment rather than convey a general sense of "you are there" in that environment, then the more monophonic-leaning 90 degree setting may be appropriate.

billydee- Try the 120 degree setting, I suspect you'll prefer that, especially when mixing with a SBD feed which is primarily monophonic.  I'd save the 90 degree setting for mixing with something that was very open and wide, such as a pair spaced omnis, which is more likely to benefit from the more narrow and focused 90 degree setting.

billydee:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on October 17, 2017, 10:01:51 AM ---
--- Quote ---billydee- Try the 120 degree setting, I suspect you'll prefer that, especially when mixing with a SBD feed which is primarily monophonic.  I'd save the 90 degree setting for mixing with something that was very open and wide, such as a pair spaced omnis, which is more likely to benefit from the more narrow and focused 90 degree setting.

--- End quote ---
I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack.

Thanks for that suggestion Gutbucket. I was considering trying the 120 degree setting eventually when I was in a "closer to the source" situation. I used it this past Friday as part of a "monophonic sbd"/AT2022 matrix and used the 90 degree setting at about 35 feet away from the PA. The recording sounds good but there's barely any separation in the sound. Next time I'll go with the 120.
--- End quote ---

Gutbucket:
Cool.  The 120 degree setting will create more stereo interest and width and I suspect will end up being your go-to pattern on that mic for music recording, especially if you have SBD to combine it with.  90 degree will emphasize the center strongly with a lot less stereo width.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version