Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Recording live comedy show

(1/3) > >>

acidjack:
I’m getting paid to record a live comedy show in a couple days. The person who hired me knows what I do, so isn’t expecting anything crazier than a 4 track matrix, but I would like to do a good job. I’ll be stationed at the board. I think it’s on the floor, but may be in the balcony, of the venue, which is a mid-size theater.

My thought was just to roll 3 ft spread omnis plus the SBD, since the omnis are mostly just to get crowd noise. I realize at, for example, recent Phish shows, they had what looked like a couple cards pointed up and away from the SBD area for this purpose.

Is there anything crazier to do than that? I know it might be more optimal to have spaced cards facing the audience from stage, but I don’t think that will be an option. I could point the cards backwards from up at the board, but not sure what that would really accomplish. Also, if the cards are facing away from the sound source, correct to invert phase, right?

Any thoughts/anyone actually done this?

2manyrocks:
What mics are the comedians using to feed the SBD?   

Wouldn't think it hard to mic the audience--except it's reverse thinking for us to actually want the audience in the recording. 

detroit lightning:
My only thought is from listening to live comedy podcasts. You definitely need some crowd response. I wouldn't overthink it - spaced omni's will give you that, and you can decide how much you want to add in.

opsopcopolis:
98% chance he'll just be using a 58. Just use whatever you think is best to capture the audience. Unless you're able to get mics up front, you might as well use omnis. It'll probably be pretty low in the mix anyway (I would also see if you can't get some sort of center reducing plugin (I use waves "Center") to clear up a little extra space in the middle for the direct sound. You don't need to flip polarity by default. If the phase is screwy just align it in post.

acidjack:
Thanks all. Seems like a pretty easy one to not-overthink. I also don’t think they’re expecting the greatest comedy recording of all time but I did want to be sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version