Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Littlebox Battery replacement

(1/3) > >>

phil_er_up:
Need to replace my battery in my littlebox V1. Searched this out on TS, Naiant Site.

1) Found the following at Jon site:

======================================================================================
"The box series amplifiers were in production from 2009-2014. Those that shipped with internal rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are all near or at battery end-of-life.

Because shipping regulations have gotten more strict since these devices were produced, it is no longer legal to ship the lithium-ion batteries used. Therefore, I do not offer lithium-ion battery replacement. All box series amplifiers can be converted to run on NiMH battery packs instead, as follows:

littlebox/midbox/bigbox: A 6x 2/3 AA NiMH battery pack is a drop-in replacement for most littleboxes that previously had a lithium-ion pack. There is no circuit reconfiguration required. Some littleboxes with input or output transformers in the standard case size might not have sufficient internal room for the NiMH pack, which is slightly larger. The NiMH pack with mating connector is $20.

http://naiant.com/naiant-forums/microphone-amplifiers/discontinued-box-series-amplifiers-battery-replacement/

Down furthur in the thread jon states:
"The littlebox connector is a “Tamiya-style”connector. I don’t think Tamiya actually makes them anymore, but it’s a common part used by RC car battery packs, just do a Google search for “Tamiya connector”. They have gotten a bit hard to find at the big distributors since it’s an obsolete part, but I have a big bag of them so if you send me your mailing address I will send out some spares."
======================================================================================

2) And found this on TS page 2 from pohaku
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173353.15

Pohaku states:
=========================================================
Jon, does the rechargeable little box use the same battery?  If it does, I'll order another (for a total of 4) and do a clean sweep of all my Naiant devices.

Edit: - per Jon, little box (hereinafter "LB") uses a different, larger battery:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1850074v1400mah1036whbatterymodulewithprotectioniclc18500s2r1wr.aspx

Note that the LB battery is UN38.3 passed, so it should not require a hazmat fee if you order one to replace your LB battery.
=========================================================

My question is can I buy the following item and is this the same - “Tamiya-style” connector? So I could just unplug the old one and put the new one in?
Does charger still work the same?
http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1850074v1400mah1036whbatterymodulewithprotectioniclc18500s2r1wr.aspx

Or any other suggestion would be appreciated.

willndmb:
I have not done it but will need to in my tinybox sooner then later, but if Jon linked that battery then it should work as you want. Just make sure to get it with the connector attached and not the bare wires

phil_er_up:
Thanks to willndmb for his response. Reason did not email jon is heard he or his family is having health problems and would not rather bothering him in a time of distress.

Contacted Pohaku directly to see if he had replaced the battery in his LB. Have not heard back yet.

Has anyone done the replacement yet?

down2earthlandscaper:

--- Quote from: phil_er_up on November 12, 2017, 07:41:58 AM ---Thanks to willndmb for his response. Reason did not email jon is heard he or his family is having health problems and would not rather bothering him in a time of distress.

Contacted Pohaku directly to see if he had replaced the battery in his LB. Have not heard back yet.

Has anyone done the replacement yet?

--- End quote ---

I believe that rodeen and dallman have researched this and performed the swap

phil_er_up:
Thanks Down2earthlandscaper for the info. It is appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made some progress.

1) Pohaku PM me back and said I have the right link though he has not done the LB battery replacement.

2)  Took off the 4 screws on the back panel of the LB. Removed back panel. Opened up LB.

3) Battery is on half side of the box with the other half being components separated by a black padding sheet with sticky on one side to hold the battery in place tightly.

4) Gently separate the black sheet from battery and pull battery out. (Used long thin screwdriver - this is not hard though you need to be careful with this step not to damage anything inside of LB)

5) Disconnect the male side of the “Tamiya-style” connector from the female side “Tamiya-style” connector which is left inside of the LB.

6) There is a Black wire from XLR back panel to the battery “Tamiya-style” connector.

What is not clear to me is how you insert the black wire back into the “Tamiya-style” connector on the new battery pack?

Would I just pull the black wire from the old battery “Tamiya-style” connector out and then insert it by hand back into the “Tamiya-style” connector on the new battery?

Rest of it seems straightforward. After figuring out how to Connect the black wire (see above). Take new battery with pre-installed “male Tamiya-style” connector and connect it to the female side of the “Tamiya-style” connector inside of LB. Then put battery back inside of LB between components and the black padding sheet with sticky on one side.

Put back panel on. Put screws back in.

Pray it works!!!

===================================================================
Did contact jon and he clarified some of the above though it was not clear how to connect the black wire to the new battery “Tamiya-style” connector.
PM'ed Rodeen and Dallman to see if they have any other thoughts. Took some photos of the LB open with battery in it and back panel off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version