Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Multi-pattern LD mic ?’s

(1/4) > >>

HealthCov Chris:
I’m curious about configuration options when using LD mics onstage.  What factors dictate distance between mics and which polar pattern is used (omni, cardioid, or figure 8)?  I have been using my akg 481’s with 6-8ft split, and planned to get multi-pattern LD’s. However, the few tapers I’ve talked to primarily use the cardioid setting, so this has me rethinking if I need multi-pattern mics.  I will always have a secondary source included (sbd, stack, etc). Small (bar) to mid-size (theatre) venues.

heathen:
They would allow you to play with setups like mid-side and Blumlein, though depending on the quality of the mics being used the figure 8 pattern may be underwhelming in terms of frequency response.

I can imagine the omni setting being useful for on-stage or outdoors (if those come up for you), but for that matter you could just get AKG omni caps for your 480 bodies.

noahbickart:
While I know that some tapers swear by the sound of LD microphones, I'm convinced that they just aren't as good for "what we do" as SD condensers, especially since the patterns are created from back to back cardioid capsules. Make sure to listen to a bunch of tapes before buying.

obaaron:
I run my AKG ck62 omnis split onstage about 6-10' with another set of cards in the onstage center quite often with great results.  Have thought about getting a set of LD's but frankly don't see the marginal value in spending the $$$, when the split omnis tend to add tons of depth/low end.  I would recommend grabbing a set of ck62's since it looks like you hsave 2 sets of AKG bodies, and the omnis will be a good pattern to mix with center cards IMO...at least in onstage scenarios

Brian Skalinder:
FWIW I ran AKG C-414B-ULS for a while.  I especially liked omnis and Blumlein on-stage or very, very FOB.  But overall, like Noah, I find SDCs better for "what we do".  I'm with the others on getting C62s for your 460s / 480s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version