Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

5mm diameter wire microphone for Tascam DR-05

(1/3) > >>

gltape:
Hello,

I have a Tascam DR-05 to which I would like to connect a wire microphone with a maximum diameter of only 5mm.

I found this cheap product but I don't want it to penalize the recording quality compared to Tascam's integrated microphones.

My budget is around $20.

Any suggestions about the indicated microphone model or other alternatives are welcome.

splumer:
I also have a Dr-055 that I use for stealth and as a backup at open-taping shows. For that mic, you'll need some adapters to convert the mini-XLR to a stereo mini plug. The adapters alone would exceed your budget. Care to share what you're recording? The Dr-05's internal mics might be better quality that the mic you linked to, but an external mic offers more flexibility in placement, which often makes more difference than just mic quality. There are mics that have the proper plug, but I doubt you'll find many that are 55mm or smaller.

gltape:
The xlr adapter is not included in the budget and should cost only a few dollars, like this one.

The microphone is used to record ambient sounds and not for music recording.

gltape:
If I use the XLR to Jack adapter with the microphone shown above, do I have to expect a loss of recording quality due to the adapter itself ?

kuba e:

--- Quote from: gltape on February 07, 2018, 11:14:33 AM ---The xlr adapter is not included in the budget and should cost only a few dollars, like this one.

The microphone is used to record ambient sounds and not for music recording.

--- End quote ---
This adapter will not work, because you need to power your mics (the mics are powered from Shure transmitter originally) . The solution can be special cable reduction with two min XLR connectors to 3.5 stereo jack connector or directly reterminate the mics to 3.5 stereo jack (some guys on this forum can make you special cable or modify the mics). Then you can power these mics from Tascam PIP or from battery box. This solution has disadvantage - you cannot record loud music, mics signal will be distorted on high SPL. You can try to modify your mics to improve them for high SPL too. Look for 4.7 mod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version