Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

ISO DAT Transfers

(1/2) > >>

jfrasan:
During the late 90s I was a taper/trader in the Southeast. I did all the taper friendly bands that came through and then some. I had a Nak100 setup for awhile and then AKG 481s. I also did some stealth stuff. I was often the sole taper at shows in middle tennessee. I don't have the time nor equipment to put these DATS on a HD. Is there anybody who can help? I'd have to count but I've got 100s of hours of music.

Any suggestions welcome.
Jai Sanders

Scooter123:
Most larger cities have vendors which transfer DAT tapes to wave.  The price varies but will run about $50-100 plus the hard drive.  Pay attention to the gear the vendor uses, I have Sony 7040 which was in its day, the finest DAT machine made, costing $10,000.  The vendor will also need a reciprocal machine either recording directly to the hard drive, which I do not like (some errant anomalies) or to a dedicated digital in recorder like a Tascam D680 and the reciprocal machine set to the digital output of the DAT, i.e., 16 or 48.  In my case, I needed an adapter to go from the DAT to SPDIF.  The DAT has to be fast forwarded a couple times to loosen it up.  The transfer is obviously made in real time, so a two hour show takes two hours to transfer.  DATs have their own anomalies so the completed tape has to be spot reviewed by ear and reviewed in a wave editor to spot those sonic anomalies. 

twatts (pants are so over-rated...):

--- Quote from: jfrasan on August 29, 2018, 02:30:06 AM ---During the late 90s I was a taper/trader in the Southeast. I did all the taper friendly bands that came through and then some. I had a Nak100 setup for awhile and then AKG 481s. I also did some stealth stuff. I was often the sole taper at shows in middle tennessee. I don't have the time nor equipment to put these DATS on a HD. Is there anybody who can help? I'd have to count but I've got 100s of hours of music.

Any suggestions welcome.
Jai Sanders

--- End quote ---

Have any Phish or related material in there???  How about Pavement/Malkmus, King Crimson, or Morphine???

Terry

barrettphisher:
Please start a list of what you have and post here, I'm sure there would be someone interested in helping you out here.  Thanks!
Barrett Miller

noahbickart:
I’ll gladly help transfer if you send me tapes, depending on what it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version