Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

The Perfect Stealth Rig ??

(1/25) > >>

Josephine:
Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)

Brian Skalinder:
You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!

Robby Grossman:

--- Quote from: Josephine on August 14, 2004, 02:46:13 PM ---Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)

--- End quote ---
Personally, I'd say CMC-4's clipped on visor or hat > Batt Box > MD (or JB3 if you can afford the bulkiness/size) would work pretty well.  If you can afford it and still stealth it, maybe Batt Box > AD20 > md/jb3 ?

Figure ~$400, without the AD20.

Robby Grossman:

--- Quote from: Brian Skalinder on August 14, 2004, 02:52:35 PM ---You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!

--- End quote ---
Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.

Josephine:
I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.  The smaller and easier to explain away, the better.  Going undetected is probably the most important factor for me.  Simplicity would be another great plus (especially at my recording stage now lol).  Of course, its sound quality is important, too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version