Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/48 vs. 24/96 Tree  (Read 16723 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: 24/48 vs. 24/96 Tree
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2005, 06:49:42 AM »
the only thing i've ever been able to notice on most of my 96kHz recordings is immence detail....
of the conversations of other patrons around my mics.
and dats dat

My guess is that is a 24-bit thing, and not a sampling rate thing. I was listening to a commercial DVD-A recording of Mozart's Requiem the other day and noticed some "noise". I stopped the player put on the headphones, and turned up the volume a bit. I was hearing the movement of the players' instruments, or some other object. I happen to own the same Deutsche Grammophon recording on CD, so I pulled that out and put it on. I didn't notice the sound until I put on the headphones and listened very carefully. It was there, but either they masked it much better on the CD, or it simply blended into the mix better at 16-bits, I'm not sure which.

While there will be some audience noise on the samples I sent out, these were done via very close mic placement, so the chatter is more in the background to begin with.

For the samples, here is how I recorded them:

o        o
--------------------------  <-- Stage Lip
         x x   

where o = QTC-1 Omni's clamped to performer's mic stand
 and X = SR-77's aimed at performers.

Wayne

no, I think its the sample rate.
I've done lots of 24/44 recording, and they dont suffer from the "conversation factor" like the 24/96 recordings do.
even the 24/48 stuff is less noticable than 96kHz.
This is in AUD taping environments where there are lots of people between the mics and the sound source. 
stage lip stuff is where those high sample rates shine. 

the "noise" you refer to in your DVD-As and CD, it should be no surprise that the 24bit DVD-A is cabable of rendering low level detail better than the 16bit version.  But both factors are present here, deeper bit depth and higher sample rate.

in any case...
24/96 AUD tapes can smoke...
but if the crowd is chatty, 16bit is better.  Less dynamic range and less low level detail makes for Louder instruments/passages to be heard better through 50 conversations happening simultaneously around your mics.
but YMMV

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2005, 10:40:16 AM »
OK, I've got these from Jason.
Who's next on the vine ?

Heath ?

BTW, there are two disks. A & B both as DVD-As that play  *very* strangely.
If I hit tray-open, they play !  No chance of selection of 24/48 v. 24/48 tracks.
One track plays and it stops. Pressing tray-open again moves on to next track !

Who burned these to DVD-A and with what software ?  Is my DVD-A player whacky or the disk ?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 10:44:37 AM by Mr. Jitter »

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2005, 10:52:40 AM »
Who burned these to DVD-A and with what software ?  Is my DVD-A player whacky or the disk ?

Don't know if these are the original discs, if so, then I burned them. They were burned with DiscWelder. Can't say exactly what the problem might be, sorry.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2005, 09:42:02 PM »
Not to worry, could be my machine. Still getting used to it.

Anyhow.....who gets the disks next ?

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2005, 09:46:02 PM »
Not to worry, could be my machine. Still getting used to it.

Anyhow.....who gets the disks next ?

There should have been a note in there. ??? It's also possible that you are the last person. If that's the case, you get to keep them. Do me a favor and just check the early parts of this thread. I think we might have also had a list there. I don't think the list of people was very long.

On the playback thing. One other thing came to mind. This was burned when I still had the 1.0 version of DiscWelder for the Mac. They made some major improvements and I don't nearly have the trouble burning DVDs that I use to. It's possible that it is a bad burn from me. However, nobody else mentioned any issues.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com