Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: oktava MK012  (Read 4136 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
oktava MK012
« on: August 25, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
hey, was wondering what anyone thought about these octava's, i've heard a show or two with ovtava, sounded pretty good to me..   but anyone that has, or used them before pro's/con's?  thanks.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Online dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
Re:oktava MK012
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 07:32:59 PM »
I have used them extensively this year with very good results.  

My only complaint is that the low-end on these mics isnt the greatest, compared to other mics out there --- though I think some people exagerate this by saying 'it sucks'.... i dont think it sucks, but could be better.  It all depends on what you run with them.... Ive only done one Oktava>MP2 tape so far and I was not happy with the results as the MP2 really exagerrated the low-end of the mics, but the sound wasnt the best to begin with at this show --- I will be trying some more with this combination to see if its worthwhile.   Most of my tapes have been with line transformers, so you get a pretty good idea of the sound without any preamp colorization.....

If you are on highspeed, I can offer up a few shows in SHN/FLAC of tapes Ive made..... I have a very nice Tom Petty, Wilco, Wallflowers, to name a few.... (TP and WF are stealth, Wilco is open taping on a stand...)   all of htese are oktava cards > ps2 > AT line transformers > stock SBM1>M1
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline wsp12

• Taperssection Member
  • Dood these tapes suck!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 08:34:49 PM »
i ran oktava's for about 6 shows at 2 different times once got rid of them because of money, the other got a killer deal on a pair of 391's they sound really good but you have to have a A/D with them i used a UA5 with and that sounded good but i am an AKG man and had to go back but the russian missles are nice, really nice for the money mike
Need to get a rig and get out to more shows

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 08:54:13 PM »
hey, was wondering what anyone thought about these octava's, i've heard a show or two with ovtava, sounded pretty good to me..   but anyone that has, or used them before pro's/con's?  thanks.

Just got mine and will be running them with a p-mod UA-5 for Derek Trucks, NMA, LOS, Nickel Creek, and possibly KDTU this weekend, so I'll have plenty of examples of them.  Probably will run a few different configs to get an idea of the sound.  I will report back...
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 09:44:48 PM »
thanks man, i'd love to hear NMAS, and nickel creek
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 04:22:45 PM »
I've been running Oktava mc-012(cards)>deneke ad-20>DAT for a few months now and I think they sound great.  Of course I don't have the golden ears that some tapers have.  If you decide to go with them make sure you get a matched pair.  I got mine from Recording Services (ebay retailer) but Guitar Center seems to have matched pairs now.  Many people have bought them from The Sound Room and I just picked up a pair of hyper caps that came from them (I got them used from a member of this board).  By the way MK-012 and MC-012 are the same mics.  -Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 05:04:47 PM »
Try Simp-Dawg!
He's been using Oktava's for a while

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2003, 05:53:24 PM »
I am an Oktava MC012 user. I have the matched set of omnis, cardioids and hyper-cardioids. They are a very good microphone at a great price. Before I bought mine, I did the research. I listened to recordings and compared price vs. performance. To my ears, the Oktava's fit the bill.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 10:26:31 AM »
I am an Oktava MC012 user. I have the matched set of omnis, cardioids and hyper-cardioids. They are a very good microphone at a great price. Before I bought mine, I did the research. I listened to recordings and compared price vs. performance. To my ears, the Oktava's fit the bill.

Another user here & I like otherwise I would have dumped them. I feel you need a preamp to bring in the low end, running them with transformers, they seem to be real loose. Otherwise I think they are a way underrated mic, ymmv ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 11:19:31 AM »
another member of team oktava here...you knew it was only a matter of time before i chimed in!
i like 'em...great price, great sound...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wbaldwin

• Taperssection Member
  • giddyup!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 11:03:06 AM »
I've got the matched pair as well, and I really like them.

As stated before, by calico, I did a bunch of research as well, and for the price, I think these puppies match up pretty well with some of the higher priced alternatives.

I just couldn't see spending over $1000 on mics.  This is my first rig though, and I could see that attitude changing down the line.

All in all I love them....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com