Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade for X-Streams?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Upgrade for X-Streams?
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »
I am looking to upgrade my mic cables and interconnects from X-Streams to something that is smaller, lighter, and sounds better.  I know of the hyperconducters but they are probably expensive.  I was thinking TodR and Leeguy but they are not making their cables anymore.  Looked into the black stealth from kindkables and could not get an answer about the sound compared to my x-streams.  Anyone out there have any ideas on how the kindkables perform compared to X-streams?  Any other cables I should be looking into?  Even if the sound is the same I may consider getting new cables if they are a lot smaller and lighter.  Any info would be great, Thanks, Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: Upgrade for X-Streams?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
Todd isn't making cables anymore? Too bad - those were sweet! I'd look into a pair made with Belden 1804 cable or you could try and find some of the mil. grade silver clad cable that Todd was using. Fozzy was selling the Belden I think. Of course these involve making them yourself.

Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 05:13:56 PM »
so you like the Audio Magic cables, but you want something cleaner, smaller, and more lightweight, well that's simple enough:  Audio Magic Hyperconductor cables, they are very tiny (the size or an active cable) and very transparent, I did exactly this with my cables and interconnects and am completely satisfied with the results, in fact I bought another pair so now I have 30 feet of cable

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »
Just as an update:

I will continue to make cables, but since I've been busy with a new job, I'll no longer be making custom cables.

I will be updating things here when I get a chance, and hopefully after I get a chance to make up a small stock of cables.  My intent is to make up a variety of typical cables when I have time -- 15' mic cables, 20' mic cables, XLR interconnects, coax digi cables, etc. -- and sell them as stock cables.  My time is just too extended these days to make custom orders in a timely fashion.

So, it is true I've stopped making custom cables, but I will continue to make Segue silver-clad cables.  The upside is that though I won't take custom requests, I will be reducing my price on the majority of the cables I make.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 06:54:10 PM »
pm sent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com