Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility  (Read 104198 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
Weeks 1 & 2 went off without a hitch, and yesterday the 1st set seems to have ended up being nothing but white noise, despite the fact that I was monitoring the entire set at the time, and it seemed to be recording just fine, and reporting a correct time length, etc.

I looked into your situation, and it was as I suspected.  What you are experiencing is the result of your recorder dropping data.  The question is why...   It could be due to a software bug, it could be a hardware problem.

The loss of data tends to cause data misalignment.  When you lose part of a sample, the audio becomes jumbled and subsequent audio can appear as white noise.  Sometimes you'll lose another byte or two and it will jump back into alignment.  The audio is still there, but the alignment needs to be fixed at each point where data was lost.

Any discussion of this should probably be in a new thread, since this is the wave repair utility thread ;)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
I have been struggling with a corrupted file for months now, but I have never given up.  I tried pigiron's utility, including trying Jason's .bat file method, but nothing worked.  I would get through the DOS commands, but it would still come back as corrupt or unreadable.  I was never able open it in Audacity, as either a regular or .raw file.  I could not even copy it off my deck, although I was able to move it into the "Recovered" folder on my 722.

So, I was re-reading this thread, and looked at the posts regarding chkdsk.  I followed the instructions, having it just run in the Recovered folder, and what do you know, it worked.  All of a sudden I could hear the file, which sounds perfect, and could now copy it off the deck.

If you are having problems with another file like this, you may want to look into trying the chkdsk /f method.  It was what finally worked for me.  Thanks to one and all.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2011, 04:52:54 AM »
Hmmmm..... was this intended for me? That would be odd, if not more than a wee bit snarky, so I'm hoping that I'm reading this wrong. It's not like I can just sit around and watch this thread for responses all the time.... in fact, reading your last post, it seems that you thought the discussion of my issue should end, at any rate, because you deemed it irrelevant to this thread, and no one else was commenting at all. The fact that we're on the road most of this month and the next, notwithstanding, making it less likely that I would be glued to Taperssection 24/7.....

For the record, I'm ALWAYS thankful for anyone who might take an interest in trying to help me solve a problem, if you're concerned about that - although interestingly, I've never actually received answers to the specific questions I've asked here, such as HOW to use the header repair utility; as I explained a few times, I could not get my head around that, and no one has replied with info that would help me understand it. I appreciate the fact that you took a look at my problem file, but can you at least wait until I have time to sort through these things, before I give you a response?

Ironically, by sheer dumb luck, my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful eximination, is stable. God bless taper's wives; good thing I married a fellow geek!

Of course, I STILL have no idea how to work with the wave header repair utility, although now I DO have a better understanding of what a .wav file actually looks like in a binary reader.

You're welcome.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: Dreaded 0 byte files
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »
Ok fellas and ladies.
I taped Saturday and to my dismay I came home with a set that reads/transfers/plays fine
and two of the dreaded 0 byte files, FML.
I tried the tool and it says ERROR: Failed to read header from input file.
The two files show up on the card and copy over from my card reader to the pc.
COULD IT BE IT DOESNT HAVE A HEADER AT ALL?

Any help is appreciated mi amigos.

I also tried the chkdsk option.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:49:21 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »
Tried other suggestions that I read about here, such as importing as raw in wavelab and it won't read it.
So I guess a recovery tool is in order.
I saw it recording the second set as I check it regularly when I'm taping, always.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

kirk97132

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
kicking it up to the top.  Need help recovering files on a Tascam DR-680.  Properties on the SDHC card after a chkdsk dos run show over 12GB of space used.  But Only 7GB of files are visible at all.  How do I get to the other files?  Tanks in advance, Kirk

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Kirk - This may or may not help in your situation, but I had the same issue with a recent Michael Hurley set from his recent residency at The Laurelthirst, and the missus actually solved this one, as mentioned just a couple of posts prior to this one. Since that time, I've approached a couple of other old problem files in much the same way, and had complete success, as long as the files show more than 0 bytes, anyway.

Ironically, by sheer dumb luck, my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful eximination, is stable. God bless taper's wives; good thing I married a fellow geek!

Of course, I STILL have no idea how to work with the wave header repair utility, although now I DO have a better understanding of what a .wav file actually looks like in a binary reader.

kicking it up to the top.  Need help recovering files on a Tascam DR-680.  Properties on the SDHC card after a chkdsk dos run show over 12GB of space used.  But Only 7GB of files are visible at all.  How do I get to the other files?  Tanks in advance, Kirk
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

kirk97132

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks, but I don't even see a file at all....that's what got me stumped.  Be one thing if it was a file with 0 bytes.  plus I have no idea what a binary reader is.  The data is taking up space on the card but I don't have any visible sign like a file name that shows it is on there????

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
That was the thing about this approach - it won't work for a 0-byte file (or at least I should say I have not personally had any success with it in those situations).

What I'm referring to as a binary reader is basically just a type of utility that allows you to see all the ones and zeros that make up the file. In those situations, if you can establish where the header is in all the digits, you can tweak a few numbers and refresh your missing data. There are different types of utilities available, depending on what platform you're working with (Mac or PC).

I's a long shot, but maybe a utility like that might see the data that appears to be missing on your card? I'm thinking if you can open the file through the utility itself, rather than opening the card and trying to loacte the file directly.

The one thing I have learned from this thread, though - is DO NOT attempt to write anything to the card itself at this point, or it's likely that will affect your ability to go in and try to work on the problem files. It might be a good idea to copy whatever you can see to a drive, so nothing you try can affeect those files, at least.

Thanks, but I don't even see a file at all....that's what got me stumped.  Be one thing if it was a file with 0 bytes.  plus I have no idea what a binary reader is.  The data is taking up space on the card but I don't have any visible sign like a file name that shows it is on there????

kirk97132

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
That was the thing about this approach - it won't work for a 0-byte file (or at least I should say I have not personally had any success with it in those situations).

What I'm referring to as a binary reader is basically just a type of utility that allows you to see all the ones and zeros that make up the file. In those situations, if you can establish where the header is in all the digits, you can tweak a few numbers and refresh your missing data. There are different types of utilities available, depending on what platform you're working with (Mac or PC).

I's a long shot, but maybe a utility like that might see the data that appears to be missing on your card? I'm thinking if you can open the file through the utility itself, rather than opening the card and trying to loacte the file directly.

The one thing I have learned from this thread, though - is DO NOT attempt to write anything to the card itself at this point, or it's likely that will affect your ability to go in and try to work on the problem files. It might be a good idea to copy whatever you can see to a drive, so nothing you try can affeect those files, at least.

I'm on a PC.  I did already copy the files that I can see so they are safe.  I'm open to suggestions or was thinking about trying a few other programs mentioned in the thread previously.  Since I don't really know how to use a binary reader I'm not positive I should muck around in a program that can change things but if you got a suggestion I might try it

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
Hopefully, a few of the other members will jump in with some advice about the header repair utility; I found that a bit of a learning curve, but it sounds like some folks here have had some success with it. I tried every approach mentioned in this thread for an old JOMF file I lost, and nothing seemed to work, or it could be that I just couldn't get my head around some of them. I work quite a bit with program code, but system code still trips me up, occasionally.

The PC utility we used is Visual Studio; if you don't have it, it can be a little pricy, but there is a free trial version available for download. All I was thinking is that if you used a tool like that, you could open the program first and then open the file through the program - instead of opening the card directory and looking to see what's there. It doesn't happen as much as it did some years ago, but once in a while that sometimes will show files that aren't visible on the media itself.

I'm tapped here, but hopefully someone will jump in, who has some experience with those other tools. Good luck!

I'm on a PC.  I did already copy the files that I can see so they are safe.  I'm open to suggestions or was thinking about trying a few other programs mentioned in the thread previously.  Since I don't really know how to use a binary reader I'm not positive I should muck around in a program that can change things but if you got a suggestion I might try it

kirk97132

« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
UPDATE....photorec found a files listed as 44mb way too small???  I'm open to suggestions if you got any..............

cool thanks. I'm trying this photorec app right now and it looks like it found the missing files, I'll know shortly.  I'm not gonna spend any money to recover the files they just are not that important.  Hopefully the photorec app will do it
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:09:35 PM by kirkd »

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I would suggest importing (photorec recovered files) as raw into an application.

If you don't want to fool with it put the files on a CD, or DVD and I will recover them for you.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

kirk97132

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2011, 06:36:39 PM »
tried that it's just hiss even though one set of files I know is good.  I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong so if you can help that's great!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:53:42 PM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com