Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Super 8 camera/tape.  (Read 1835 times)

Offline wakeupnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Super 8 camera/tape.
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »
I've been videotaping a few shows w/ a Super 8 camera. I think it's OK and the sound is fine, though I will upgrade at a later date.

What is the general consensus about the quality of recordings that a Super8 can achieve? Would people prefer no recording to a 'degraded" or non-dv recording? Is something better then nothing? Do fans/bands frown at the quality that this camera achieves? Dependant on the artist?

I've recorded a number of bands in Western MA, one of which (most recently) was the entire Ecstatic Yod show in Florence.

Also, will people scream and curse at the sky if the camera gets shaky (handheld, intentionally or not intentionally shaky). Due to the mood of the music I was getting sort of weird w/ my camera. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. And course, the curse-ed fact that getting a good shot in a small room is hard, sometimes fans walk right in front of the camera, or whatever. I dont mind, do you? It happens in real life, isnt a video of a live show supposed to recreate the live experience? I always try to adjust to the
circumstance but you cant retake live shows, its a one shot deal.

Thanks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Super 8 camera/tape.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
something is better then nothing imo
as for quality i have found it depends on the band and how many other videos are out
take those and compair them
if you have a band with lots of videos and they are all great, then you will get more complaints on a shaky one
but if its a band with not many videos or they all are shaky then you are less likely to get complaints

bottom line is people get spoiled, just like with audio
once a bunch of good ones are around the bad ones stand out more and more
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Super 8 camera/tape.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:38:22 PM »
I've been videotaping a few shows w/ a Super 8 camera. I think it's OK and the sound is fine, though I will upgrade at a later date.
Do you mean Video8? "Super 8" is a film (8mm) camera.
I used to shoot concert video on Video8 and the picture quality was just fine... The CCDs on the older Video8 cameras are usually large and this allows for better low light shooting.

Also, will people scream and curse at the sky if the camera gets shaky (handheld, intentionally or not intentionally shaky). Due to the mood of the music I was getting sort of weird w/ my camera. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt.
Probably. Watching shaky video can be nausiating. I personally don't like any 'effects' when watching concerts so it's best if you just focus on documenting the concert.

People getting in the way is part of audience concert filming. There's not much you can do about that unless you can find an elevated position above the crowd. The best advice I can give you is to use manual focus. That way when somebody walks in front of your camera, the camera will keep focus on the band and not adjust the focus on the obstruction.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com