Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD2K+ vs. Mytek ADC ***COMP LINED UP***  (Read 7995 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
AD2K+ vs. Mytek ADC ***COMP LINED UP***
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:51:13 AM »
Anybody done any comps for the AD2K+ versus the Mytek ADCs?

Opinions?

Teddy...you've used both, yes?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:22:14 PM by balou2 »
Socks are overrated.

RebelRebel

Re: AD2K+ vs. Mytek ADC
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:51:31 AM »
Used? Havent used the AD2K, but as my friend the taper owns one I have heard them side by side. The AD2K , from what ive heard, and IMHO, didnt come close in terms of clarity and overall sound quality.Mytek seems  in a different league.. The AD2K is rather old isnt it? Converters seem to grow outdated more quickly than anything else.

If you do want a Mytek, Mike....Shoot me a PM.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:10:29 AM »
i have never heard the mytek so this post is prolly useless, but the 4022>v2>ad2k tapes that my friend pete lane has made are stellar, the ad2k is nothing to shun about, and it not that olde, i think it was released in 200 or somewhere around that time

anyway, id LOVE to hear a comp between these two units as ive always thought/heard the ad2k as being the best ADC in the field most days :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline balou2

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »
i have never heard the mytek so this post is prolly useless, but the 4022>v2>ad2k tapes that my friend pete lane has made are stellar, the ad2k is nothing to shun about, and it not that olde, i think it was released in 200 or somewhere around that time

anyway, id LOVE to hear a comp between these two units as ive always thought/heard the ad2k as being the best ADC in the field most days :)
Dude...when did you join Team 722?
Socks are overrated.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »

Dude...when did you join Team 722?

ordering when cascade/SS opens on tuesday ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline balou2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:57:52 AM »
Duh...http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=65411.0

Congrats on the toys man. 

+t
Socks are overrated.

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
I haven't run a 2K+, but I do love my mytek. It really is state of the art. I hope to run some comps at panic this summer. As far as sound goes I find the AD2K a little dry. The Mytek 24/192 is a little more reference clean, a lot like the old Apogee sound. The only advantage of the 2K+ is being able to run 16 & 24 bit. You also have to carry around a 12v though...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 05:20:17 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 03:45:41 PM »
I haven't run a 2K+, but I do love my mytek. It really is state of the art. I hope to run some comps at panic this summer. The only advantage of the 2K+ is being able to run 16 & 24 bit. You also have to carry around a 12v though...

Yep,but with the Mytek you can run from 7-12v, which opens up more solutions..

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:31:49 PM by Teddy »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 04:15:27 PM »
I haven't run a 2K+, but I do love my mytek. It really is state of the art. I hope to run some comps at panic this summer. The only advantage of the 2K+ is being able to run 16 & 24 bit. You also have to carry around a 12v though...

Yep,but with the Mytek you can run from 7-12v, which opens up more solutions than SLAs.

I run my HD-P2 off a 12v NiMH battery.  there are many options for 12v that are NOT lead-acid batteries.
IMO, that should not be part of this discussion, just how the two units sound...

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 04:25:35 PM »
You are right, but I think Mike is probably looking at the whole picture here...theres more than sonics to consider.  If sound was the only factor in gear purchasing, thered be a lot more variation in gear than is seen on this forum....Mike?

Yep,but with the Mytek you can run from 7-12v, which opens up more solutions than SLAs.

I run my HD-P2 off a 12v NiMH battery.  there are many options for 12v that are NOT lead-acid batteries.
IMO, that should not be part of this discussion, just how the two units sound...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:31:33 PM by Teddy »

Offline balou2

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »
You are right, but I think Mike is probably looking at the whole picture here...theres more than sonics to consider.  If sound was the only factor in gear purchasing, thered be a lot more variation in gear than is seen on this forum....Mike?

Absolutely Teddy.  When it comes to gear, it's about overall use.  If size, portability, etc... didn't matter, I'd wheel my rack around everywhere.  With the exception of some of the choral music I do, I don't usually have that luxury, so the portability contingent certainly becomes a consideration.

The original question, Mytek vs. AD2K certainly included field use and ease.  I have no doubt the Mytek is better sonically.

Thanks and t's to all for the advice and words.
mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 12:36:38 AM »
Used? Havent used the AD2K, but as my friend the taper owns one I have heard them side by side. The AD2K ,

This is a good point....that is why it is bold Teddy ;D.  I cant wait to hear a Mytek.  If someone will lend me one I will run the comps with the ad2k>744....uh oh ya heard it here first.  The nbox sounds too damn good with the SD........yes sir may I get one of those.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »
I use to run the AD2K+, in fact ran it for 3 years??? can't remember, something like that. Anyhow, it's a nice unit, but here is one other thing to consider. When I spoke to Benchmark about an issue I was having (Low power LED would come on too soon), the guy mentioned to me that the reason they stopped making the AD2K+ was because they couldn't get some of the parts anymore (sound familiar?). The unit is a bit old in the tooth, but it's built like a tank, so it should last for years. However, if something does go wrong with it, there are chances you might not be able to get it fixed if it happens to be one of the parts Benchmark can no longer get. This obviously must also be taken into consideration.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 10:16:16 AM »
I use to run the AD2K+, in fact ran it for 3 years??? can't remember, something like that. Anyhow, it's a nice unit, but here is one other thing to consider. When I spoke to Benchmark about an issue I was having (Low power LED would come on too soon), the guy mentioned to me that the reason they stopped making the AD2K+ was because they couldn't get some of the parts anymore (sound familiar?). The unit is a bit old in the tooth, but it's built like a tank, so it should last for years. However, if something does go wrong with it, there are chances you might not be able to get it fixed if it happens to be one of the parts Benchmark can no longer get. This obviously must also be taken into consideration.

Wayne

I wasn't aware of that.  Interesting.  Def.  s/b taken into consideration.
Do you know what parts......sounds very familiar....can you say toaster?
dd

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 01:05:32 PM »
I wasn't aware of that.  Interesting.  Def.  s/b taken into consideration.
Do you know what parts......sounds very familiar....can you say toaster?
dd

I don't know what parts, but I'm sure if you call Benchmark, they will tell you.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com