Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Max cable length for mics  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Graham Archard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Max cable length for mics
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:28:07 AM »
I have a canon XH A1 and the handbook states that external mics should not have greater than a 3 metre cable between XLR socket and mic. Is this only if camera power is used or is there another reason why I cannot use substantially longer mic leads?

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Re: Max cable length for mics
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
"2 built-in XLR terminals with line level and phantom power"

Makes it sound like a balanced connection.. 10' sounds like a very short restriction... VERY short. For what its worth the nature group has members running 700 to 1000' with "no sonic or power problems"  Just try longer cables and I'll bet there are no problems. For most video guys 10' to thr mics is a long way.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Max cable length for mics
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »
I have a canon XH A1 and the handbook states that external mics should not have greater than a 3 metre cable between XLR socket and mic. Is this only if camera power is used or is there another reason why I cannot use substantially longer mic leads?

If the mic jack is balanced and provides phantom power I would say that the mic inputs should be able to handle long cable runs.. Only one way to find out :) Get a long cable and plug it in... Do a test in a quiet room and see if your noise floor goes up at all between a short and long cable. Remember to run the cables out flat and dont leave them coiled for the test. You could also use resistors and create a dummy load on the cable but that's a lot of work.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com