Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Memory cards that died, and what killed them  (Read 4891 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Memory cards that died, and what killed them
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:09:33 AM »
A slightly different take from the thread on what cards work in what piece of gear - reports of cards that have died totally, and the circumstances of their demise.

The idea is to see whether certain cards keep getting reported as trashed, and maybe whether certain items of gear keep trashing cards.

However, any result will be skewed by the popularity of both cards and recorders.  Still, might be worth knowing others' experiences in this area (even if you've already mentioned them in other threads).

I'll go first -

Transcend 8GB card, died between taking it out of an R-44 and inserting it into a PC built in card reader.  Card then replaced by supplier.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: Memory cards that died, and what killed them
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:35:23 AM »
A slightly different take from the thread on what cards work in what piece of gear - reports of cards that have died totally, and the circumstances of their demise.

The idea is to see whether certain cards keep getting reported as trashed, and maybe whether certain items of gear keep trashing cards.

However, any result will be skewed by the popularity of both cards and recorders.  Still, might be worth knowing others' experiences in this area (even if you've already mentioned them in other threads).

I'll go first -

Transcend 8GB card, died between taking it out of an R-44 and inserting it into a PC built in card reader.  Card then replaced by supplier.

I had similar circumstances tonight!  Transcend 8GB card, died between taking it out of an R-44 and inserting it into a usb card reader.  Any chance of recovering the data? 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
I have a Kingston 8GB 45x CF card which no longer seems to work in my Marantz PMD-671.

I lent it to a friend who took it to Hampton and "patched" into someone's 722 CF slot with it.

He was able to transfer files off the card after the 1st night and use it again for 2nd night.  After the 2nd night, he said he had some problems reading the card in his laptop and thought one of the pins on his reader was bent, so he brought it back to me with the 2nd night still on it.

I pulled the files off no problem and put it in the Marantz, which gave me an error message "format card on PC"...I figured that the 722 just had a different way of formatting, so I formatted the card, but now my Marantz will not even start up with the card in!  i just get the startup screen where everything is lit up on the LCD screen but it doesn't give me any errors or info about the card and I cannot get into the 'edit' mode to format the card, it just won't read it.

I looked at the bottom of the card and there are clearly some scratches and possibly even damage to the pin holes, presumably from the mishap my friend had with the card after night 2.  what's weird is the PC has no problem with it.  and the Marantz works fine with my other 4GB card, so I'm wondering if there is either another way to format this card to see if that's the problem or if the bent pin on my friends' reader messed up the card bad enough that the Marantz will no longer take it, although the fact that I got an error the first time and it works fine on the PC makes me wonder?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »

I'll go first -

I had similar circumstances tonight!  Transcend 8GB card, died between taking it out of an R-44 and inserting it into a usb card reader.  Any chance of recovering the data? 

Data recovered!   I used Data Doctor Recovery Removable Media and was able to get the data.  Now to reformat and test the card!
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »
I have a Kingston 8GB 45x CF card which no longer seems to work in my Marantz PMD-671.

I lent it to a friend who took it to Hampton and "patched" into someone's 722 CF slot with it.

He was able to transfer files off the card after the 1st night and use it again for 2nd night.  After the 2nd night, he said he had some problems reading the card in his laptop and thought one of the pins on his reader was bent, so he brought it back to me with the 2nd night still on it.

I pulled the files off no problem and put it in the Marantz, which gave me an error message "format card on PC"...I figured that the 722 just had a different way of formatting, so I formatted the card, but now my Marantz will not even start up with the card in!  i just get the startup screen where everything is lit up on the LCD screen but it doesn't give me any errors or info about the card and I cannot get into the 'edit' mode to format the card, it just won't read it.

I looked at the bottom of the card and there are clearly some scratches and possibly even damage to the pin holes, presumably from the mishap my friend had with the card after night 2.  what's weird is the PC has no problem with it.  and the Marantz works fine with my other 4GB card, so I'm wondering if there is either another way to format this card to see if that's the problem or if the bent pin on my friends' reader messed up the card bad enough that the Marantz will no longer take it, although the fact that I got an error the first time and it works fine on the PC makes me wonder?

good news, my friend has offered to replace the card...but i'm still not sure whether the physical damage to the card or the fact that it was used in another recorder are causing this problem.  i was also able to hook up the marantz to my computer and operate as a USB drive with this card in the marantz, formatted it via the pc and everything, but the marantz still will not recognize it on it's own!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:48:34 PM »
years ago, i used a sandisk 4gb card in my pmd670.  at some point, after many many uses, i recorded a show (tracking on the fly as i always used to do (no connection to the problem IMO)) and only the first track would play after xfer.  i tried some tests and couldnt xfer anything i recorded after than, tho the machine appeared to be recording fine.  i flipped the switch from 4gb to 2gb (it could record in 2 different 2gb sections or one 4gb section) and i never had another problem.

i bought the card NIB from ebay, maybe it was a bad card, but it worked w/o flaw for 75-100 shows.  weird, no?

also, SD/SDHC cards seem much less resilient  than CF cards.  is there a proper manner of handling them to avoid damage.  i know there is a static issue.

thanks.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com