Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shooting Video Manually  (Read 1881 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Shooting Video Manually
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
Just picked up a Panasonic PV-GS500 to go with my GS150 for shooting concerts, and figured its about time to learn a little about shooting manually. Previously I've always shot everything on auto. Just wondering what I should start with ie: whats most important to control manually (and least complicated as I've never shot manual)? Looking for a good starting point.

1. Number one I assume would be white balance, correct? Is this is as simple as setting it manually once inside the venue and thats it? Just find something white and set it using that? Or is this something I need to be re-adjusting during the show?
2. Focus - I don't fully understand how you would do manual focus, while zooming and panning during a show, mainly the zooming. How do you zoom in or out and keep it in focus for the whole zoom/pan? For example a nice slow zoom from all the way out down to one person on stage. Are you slowly turning the focus ring while zooming in?
3. Whats next? Shutter Speed? Exposure? Are these as important? Please remember I'd rather eeeease my way into this, learning one thing at a time. Im a bit intimidated by it all...

I've had great results simply using automatic settings. I just think Im ready to step it up a notch.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone may have...

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Shooting Video Manually
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
Read through this thread (and especially the post I have linked to): http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,81909.msg1101700.html#msg1101700

I'm still new to filming myself but I followed this and it works really well.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shooting Video Manually
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
I'm also not an expert, but I'll give a few thoughts based on my own experience. 

TRIPOD TRIPOD TRIPOD

I agree with the first comment on the link provided above regarding manual focus.  Disable auto focus, zoom in, then focus manually, then forget about it. 

TRIPOD TRIPOD TRIPOD

White balance...I wouldn't worry about it because the lights from the show will never give you pure whites anyway.  OK, I suppose if you have a general setting on your camera, set for the general type of light that you'll be filming in, but beyond that doesn't seem worth worrying about to me.

TRIPOD TRIPOD TRIPOD

My camera has an auto exposure adjust that I like to use to shut the exposure down just a little bit because when the bright spot lights come on, it tends wash out the performers unless I'm zoomed way in.  So, what I like to do is as soon as the show starts (or even before you start rolling if that's a possibility) choose a scene where the spot lights are shining on the band but you're zoomed out a little ways, then set your exposure.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you should use a tripod whenever possible.   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com