Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: continuous video with digital SLR camera  (Read 2820 times)

Offline dee-j

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
continuous video with digital SLR camera
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »
Do anyone have any experience with some of the newer digital SLR cameras and using their video function? I've been looking at the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and aside from having sweet technical specs for still photo capture, it offers "full HD video capture". However, it appears that the video recording is limited to something like 29 minutes at a time.

So here is the question: Is it possible to out put video from a digital SLR to something like a laptop to record continuous beyond the space limit of the camera's SD card?

I don't have one of these cameras or know anyone that does, or I'd try it out myself. I was just thinking that if I could use this camera in a dual function of taking great photos and decent video for events as needed it would be fantastic.

In theory, it seems possible... any thoughts?

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
Re: continuous video with digital SLR camera
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
The limit is actually 4GB, which translates to 12 min. But even then the heat generated causes a degrade in image quality so you need to leave to to cool off. Add in the lack of manual control, and NEED for a tripod in pretty much any conditions or scenario, and I wouldn't want to try and film a concert with it.

(And no, I'm pretty sure there is no way of outputting from the camera into a laptop. There is a HDMI output, but whether or not it outputs the live video is another matter, and there's no way of recording HDMI without a desktop)

I'd probably bet on the new Panasonic GH1, not out yet, but on paper seems like the first real decent stills/video hybrid.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
Take a look at the nikon D90 as well.
http://www.vimeo.com/channels/d90
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:08 PM »
umm... I have the 5D Mkii... and have been shooting quite a few concerts. The limitation is the 12 min mark as mentioned.
But I use a "regular" Canon camcorder (HF10 in 1080p) for a straight "full-stage" continuous shot, wide angle... and use the Canon 5D mkii for
EXTREME close-ups during solos.

The Canon 5D mkii video is stunning... blows away most MULTI thousand dollar camcorders. The Canon 5D mkii has a 1-INCH sensor!
Go compare the specs to most semi-pro HD cams, they have 1/3 inch sensors.

Throw on a Canon 400mm L IS lens, and you get some fantastic video from the balcony.
If you have seen any photo examples in low-light from the 5D mkii, the video looks EXACTLY the same... except 24 frames per second :)

There are companies right now working on an external hard drive units (like the Focus Enhancement devices -- which use a FireWire connection, not HDMI) that will dump the Canon 5D mkii video signal via HDMI to a hard drive in QuickTime... can you say 8 hours of HD video storage?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:33:17 AM »
The 5D2 is 30 fps, not 24 fps. That's one of the largest complaints about it actually.

Anyway, beyond it's quirks, the thing is freakin' amazing. I've been doing some multimedia mashups of shows using it lately. Mixing stills, audio and video from the show into a single media piece. Check my website for some examples. The cam is truly remarkable, but it is no doubt primarily a stills camera, and it's no replacement for a real videocam in many conditions.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com