Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSLR questions  (Read 14932 times)

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
Re: DSLR questions
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
Nikons can shoot in low-light and do HD video - check out the D7000 the most likely competitor to the 60D.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline tapinfool

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
i just got a d5000 after the holidays.

got it refurbed with a kit lens for $500 out the door.

i'm in love with this camera.

i've only ever had cheapo <$100 p&s cameras

with my d5000 i feel like i can actually take some nice pix (nice to me at least :P)

i got a nikon 55-200mm zoom lens used for $120, a mid-grade tripod, some uv filters and a remote

and feel i'm good for now...for now  ;)

here are some pics i took the last couple days  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58458561@N03/

before curiosity kills it, the cat learns more of the world than a hundred uninquisitive dogs ~ tom robbins

i never was much of a petty thief. i wanted the whole world or nothing ~ h.c. bukowski

coincidence is the universe's way of reminding us what's really going on

Offline Sockan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
I have a Canon 7D and I'm really happy with it.
If you don't need the higher fps and autofocus speed then go for the 60D.
I'm photographing mainly nature like flying birds so I need it. How fast is your dog? ;)
About cameras and logic... I don't agree with some of the others that Nikon is easier than Canon because I'm lost when I'm trying to use a Nikon... so you should try the cameras in a store first to see which one you like the best. I guess that you would learn to use the one you buy eventually... :) I can change different settings instantly with 7D on the fly while photographing fast objects like a lot of other people, so it's just a lot of practicing that is required with both systems.
Lenses is most important. If your glass objects is small, you need a real macro lens and not a zoom lens with "macro" capabilities. I have a Sigma 150mm/2.8 that I'm really pleased with. The sharpness is outstanding.
Shooting glass also requires that the lighting of the subjects is good. If you have a white background you can try to have black on the sides so you more easily can see the edges of the glass objects if you have problems with that.
Good luck!
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
Here are the Nikon offerings at Costco.  Any thoughts on these?

Nikon D5000 - $749 including two lenses

Nikon D90 - $1279 including two lenses

Any would be a significant step up from a P&S.  That said both are below the level of a Canon 60D or Nikon D7000 and in the D90 case about the same $$.  Most of the reviews I have read say the Canon is slightly sharper and has about 1 stop better high ISO (low light) performance when compared head to head.  It also has 30p video at 1080 while the D7000 has to drop to 24 frames at 1080 or 30p at 720.   The D7000 is going to be every bit of $1500 with a kit lens, while the Canon can be found fro around $1200.  Since I have a ton invested in Nikon glass it would be a D7000 for me, but you don't have the lens investment so I'd go with the Canon.  It's a better camera for the $$.  Do be sure to check out the ergonomics and menu usability on the Canon because I do agree that is a point that I think Nikon handles better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:21:26 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »
Doesn't look like Costco is offering the D60 anymore.  So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?  That looks like a substantial difference between the 7D and the D60...how much "better" is the 7D?

7D
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode

D60
1/4000 to 30 sec. (1/3 and 1/2-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline thekhz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »
It is Canon 60D, not D60.  Canon naming is numberD, Nikon naming is Dnumber.

Here is a Nikon D60.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/

To capture your dog running, and sports such as a football players running for example, all you need is a shutter speed of around 1/1000.  Anything faster than that is probably not necessary.  Even if you double the shutter speed to 1/2000 that will be plenty fast enough.

The faster maximum shutter speed is more for the case when it is sunny outside and you are using a fast lens with a wide aperture for a shallow depth of field effect.  Fast being f/2.0 and faster.  The faster shutter speed will prevent over exposure.

Maximum shutter speed will not be an issue for you.  The more important value when shooting action is the number of frames per second.  7D fps > 60D fps, but the 60D fps is likely good enough.  You will need to look up the actual values.

Comparing the 7D to the 60D, the 7D has faster fps, better auto-focus system, more auto-focus points, plus other features.  7D also uses the more expensive and faster CompactFlash cards, vs the 60D using SDHC cards.  If you plan to shoot sports, get the 7D.  If plan to occasionally shoot your dog, the 60D will be fast enough.  The articulating screen on the 60D will also be very useful for shooting macro and video.

It would also be better to get the 60D and some better/faster lenses than the 7D and some average variable-aperture lenses.

Nikon Coolpix P100 - It is a point and shoot camera, forget about it.

Nikon D5000 - I don't know much about this model, but it is newer than the D90.

Nikon D90 - Is Nikon's first attempt at DSLR video.  720P maximum I think.  Video is not it's strength if that is important to you.

Sigma does make a 17-50 2.8 lens for Canon (someone above said that he could not find it) .

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon DSLRs with APS-C Sensors
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

Another thing to keep in mind is that using a DSLR for video pretty much means that you will need to manual focus the lens.  You can't just point and shoot the video and expect good results.  The people that are using DSLR for video do a lot of post processing and editing. If you want to just point and record video, a digital camcorder that will provide continuous autofocus will give you better results. DSLR may offer excellent image quality in the video, but if the image is not in focus, that excellent image quality doesn't mean much.

The Nikon D7000 has continuous autofocus in video mode, but it does not get the correct focus all the time.  There are video reviews of the D7000 continuous autofocus available on youtube that show this.

The most popular places to buy DSLR cameras for the lowest price is probably one of:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
http://www.amazon.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:33:15 PM by thekhz »

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »

Sigma does make a 17-50 2.8 lens for Canon (someone above said that he could not find it) .

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Canon DSLRs with APS-C Sensors
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689620-REG/Sigma_583101_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

The issue was Macro capability.  For whatever reason the Nikon mount version of that lens has Macro capability, the Canon mount does not.  That said I have that lens and like it very much.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
Doesn't look like Costco is offering the D60 anymore.  So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?  That looks like a substantial difference between the 7D and the D60...how much "better" is the 7D?

7D
1/8000 to 1/60 sec., X-sync at 1/250 sec.
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode

D60
1/4000 to 30 sec. (1/3 and 1/2-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.

Yes, the higher the shutter speeds the faster you can capture and freeze action but you can do the same if you're using a flash as well. If you are shooting at 1/8000, you will need strobes at full power and probably a couple depending on what you are shooting.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the most features as they may not all (if ever) be used unless you're a pro photographer doing it all day everyday.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
So a higher shutter speed means you can capture faster action?

For dog (or most, for that matter) action shots, the 60D's max shutter speed of 1/4000 will more than suffice.  Depending on subject, 1/500 or 1/1000 is usually fast enough...unless you get into things like super-fast-moving hockey pucks or baseballs.  Don't sweat the 7D supporting faster shutter speeds up to 1/8000.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »
I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
I have a question.  Is there a DSLR out yet that can shoot 1080p for an unlimited time?

No, I don't think so... but i'm not sure...
I can guess a few reasons.
There is a few different limitations like the 4gb limitation filesize in fat32.
In europe (PAL) It would be a lot of extra tax if the dslr cameras could shoot unlimited time (classified as video recording), so they would be really expensive.
But if you want to shoot a movie like a indie film maker or so, the current limitation isn't a problem. Most takes is less than a minute anyway, and often just a few seconds, so you don't need the unlimited shooting time. Many really big film cameras with real film (not digital) used for shooting big movies a few years ago ran out of film in around ten minutes, so the there isn't much of a difference compared to digital dslr cameras in that regard.
I'm not sure if it ever will be unlimited shooting time, but who knows...
If you need it now, you should get a video camera.
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
It is POSSIBLE (maybe not likely) that an interchangeable lens compact or micro 4/3 may have this ability but I don't know off the top of my head. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »

The Panny GH2 will do 1080i with no limit.

Fran

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »

The Panny GH2 will do 1080i with no limit.

Fran
Unlimited only by battery and card capacity continuous 1080 HD video shoot time is important to me, and the DMC-FZ100, GH1/2 Lumix models can do this (1080i) with battery lasting just over ~1.5 hours.   

While I'm now working the low light insensitive, and very affordable Lumix FZ100 super-zoom model, those with larger budget might well consider super discounted GH1 and newest GH2 models as some of the better choices, especially if smallest size and continuous video shoot ability is important. 

To get past the battery running time limitation of 1.5 hours, Panasonic, at least for the FZ100, has battery connection accessory that makes powering the camera from external DC battery sources practical for unlimited running time.

For those wanting to know what the external Lumix models audio input jack is useful for, consider the discussion evolving on my site at: www.sonicstudios.com/videomic.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com