Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSLR recommendations  (Read 13437 times)

Offline drumminj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • my photos
Re:DSLR recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
If you're looking at the D70, I'd compare it to the 10D rather than the dRebel.  The featuresets are more compatible.  At the moment, the D70 is vaporware, and the price of the 10D may very well come down when the D70 is actually for sale.  You can also find a decent number of them for sale over at fredmiranda.com for $1100 or so.

The only thing you really need to consider with a digital body is the crop factor - on the digital Canons (well, rebel and 10D) it's 1.6.  On the 1D it's 1.3.  It's nice because it turns your "standard" lenses into teles, but makes any wide-angle kind of expensive.  It's also nice because you're using the "best" part of the lens - the edges are getting cropped out.  You're less prone to vingetting as a result, I believe.

I don't know there's a % or ratio for body/lenses $$$ spent.  Just keep in mind, at least with digital, you'll probably change bodies in the next three years, but may very well be keeping the lenses.  

Seriously, check out the forums on fredmiranda.  Lots of digital discussion, both Canon and Nikon, and a good mix of pros and amateurs.  A wealth of information.

Ahh..and even the CF card isn't simple.  Speed of the card is somewhat a concern, but the current Canon dSLRs don't take advantage of write acceleration.  But even then, some cards are faster than others in the 10D.

J

jpschust

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 11:55:13 AM »
here is the major difference between the nikon and canon lenses- canon puts the motors for their AF in the lenses themselves which speeds up the lens vs Nikon who keeps the motor purely in the body of the camera.  You are gonna spend more on EOS lenses, but they will be faster.  As per the glass it goes back and forth over whose is better, but from my experience here is what ive found.  For short glass I cant tell much of a difference, but for long glass its Canon's L Glass all the way.  Just look at the sidelines of any major sporting event- most of those big ass white lenses are L Glass, a few are that Nikon glass they painted gray to look like the Canon's.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004, 12:39:43 PM »
Yeah.  I wish I could find this photo that I saw a few weeks ago.  At a sporting event, a ton of teles.  95% were white, with a few black Nikons in there.  Kind of funny, actually.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 01:49:38 PM »
Just read through this thread--thanks for all the great info.  I've pretty much decided digital is for me, just trying to decide when to get into the game.

I understand the points you're making Johnny, but for me I would like to get into digital mainly for the learning ability.  I used to shoot alot, but haven't much in the past 10 years or so.  Tried getting back into it a bit this past summer.  I shot a bunch of rolls and it just gets expensive.  For instance, I went to Alaska last August and shot 14 rolls.  Got only a couple shots I'm really hepped on.  Compared to a lot of money for film and developing.  Plus, I made the mistake of switching to print film to save money.  Big mistake--these developing places must all use some kind of auto-correction when they process.  All my bracketed shots looked exactly the same--never happened when I used to shoot slide film.  So I'm looking forward to getting into photography again, and the ability to try lots of different things and not have to pay a boatload for film/developing as I re-learn things to me is a big bonus.

So anyway, I recognize that the digital cameras will be much more like PCs than Neumann microphones and the current digital bodies will be old news in a matter of months.  That said, is there any reason not to get into the digital realm now as opposed to waiting for a few months or a year?  Is 6-6.3MP resolution good enough, or is it better to hold off until the new 8MP bodies start showing up?  BTW, when are the 8mp cameras supposed to hit the stores and will they be sold at a premium, or will they just replace the current 6mp generation at roughly the same cost?

Thanks for any thoughts.

-Todd

PS.  After disgust with the quality of developing on the Alaska rolls, I have put off getting my other print film developed.  I've got about 7 rolls sitting on the desk next to me needing to get developed.  Any ideas on best way of getting print film developed?  High end photography store that sends them out, or that does them in house?  Any general Wolf camera or whatever store that does them in house?  Walmart??  
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 02:47:08 PM »
Todd -

I've never had any problems with Wolf.  You can always ask them not to do any correction so you can actually tell that you exposure-bracketed.  I'm not sure how much control they have over their machines.

I haven't heard anything about when the 8MP consumer/prosumer bodies will be out there.  Hell, Canon already has an 11MP camera, if you're concerned about that.  Of course, it costs 3x as much as a 10D.  What size prints are you looking to make?  6.3MP is plenty for making up to 8x12 or perhaps even 12x18 pics.  If an 8MP camera came out, I'm sure it'd just replace what is there, rather than be sold at a premium compared to the prices right now.  

J

jpschust

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 03:12:46 PM »
i doubt they did anything to your negs, i would just have those negs you really like reprinted.  

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 09:47:12 AM »
Relevant topic and opinion piece: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/73727

Offline Todd R

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 11:54:51 AM »
i doubt they did anything to your negs, i would just have those negs you really like reprinted.  

Yep, understood.  My problem is that it is difficult to decide which shots I'd like having reprinted when I'm not sure how the blue of the sky vs the blue of the glacier vs the green of the mountains vs the green of the water balances out.

Thanks J for the input on processing and MP density.  It's not that I'm concerned about 6.3mp not being enough, it's more that I haven't really started looking into things yet.  Too busy with snowboarding season at the moment to think about photography.  (Too bad, should've had a camera handy yesterday as I watched a red fox bury his dead prey in the snow 20 feet from my window.)  Sounds like a 6-6.3mp camera should do me fine for my purposes.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2004, 01:17:22 PM »
dont forget- shooting in snow- push 2 stops.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 02:05:43 PM »
why is that? I would think just use an ND filter.  I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "push"?

jpschust

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004, 02:22:55 PM »
you are geting a huge increase in light because of the reflective nature of snow.

Pushing:  method of overrating the normal ISO speed of a film to produce an underexposed latent image. Used to increase the working speed of a film.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2004, 02:23:18 PM »
jason-
what does it matter to you, when's the last time it snowed in austin?  :P

jpschust

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 02:38:41 PM »
hehehe i believe there isnt any push for desert :-P

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 02:46:26 PM »
jason-
what does it matter to you, when's the last time it snowed in austin?  :P

About a week ago, actually.  Before that, it had been about a year.  And that snow melted off by 10:30am.

Johnny - I understand, now.  I was kind of confused as I thought that would also translate into push-processing the film, which really wouldn't accomplish anything.  See, it's all that digital photography.  It made me stupid when it comes to film photography :)

Austin isn't desert, btw.  Go 50 miles west of here, though, and yeah, it's pretty crappy.

J

Offline Todd R

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004, 03:21:36 PM »
J--so you're in Austin, huh?  Margo and I live at 7600 feet in the mtns west of Denver.  Winter seems to last about 6 mos and you can't count on it not snowing until after Memorial Day.  As such, a spring break vacation to warmer climates is often useful.  We were thinking about Arizona, but the lack of winter rains seems to mean not much in the way of a desert bloom.  We're now thinking of a trip to Austin the last weekend in March.  I lived there 18 years ago, but haven't been back in 16.  Seems high time for a return.  Anything happening out there that time of year?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com