Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable USB Charger - MintyBoost!  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Portable USB Charger - MintyBoost!
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
I am hitting Bonnaroo this year and am worried about my Droid keeping a charge all day with me taking pictures, using GPS, the bonnaroo app, facebook, etc.  On top of this, reception at the farm is not always great, which is usually a death wish for my battery life.  I was originally going to wire up something to charge my phone using the DVD batteries in my taping rig but don't want to risk not having juice for the rig itself.  So I started poking around the internet and found something that I think will work great...

It's call the MintyBoost and I found it on instructables.com: http://bit.ly/iQcyLH

Looks like a pretty simple circuit, but I still decided to buy the whole kit from this site so I didn't have to track down all the parts from other sites.  The kit was $20 and I would easily have paid that much in shipping from Mouser/Digikey alone.

I'll snap some pictures during the build and let y'all know how it turned out.  Seems like a cool project and will come in handy for emergencies when I don't have an outlet handy.

And no, I don't have any affiliation with the product or it's designers even though this post reads like a paid advertisement  ;D
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Portable USB Charger - MintyBoost!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
Hopefully you get it working. I have a very simple 4 aa battery usb sled but it won't power my girlfriends iphone and when I had a cell phone, it didn't power it; however, it powers usbpre2 and a couple other 5 volt things.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
I picked up 2 (two) of these off of Woot last week for $8.99 total for the two.  Arrived today and is currently plugged into my Thunderbolt which is a battery hog.  Comes with both micro usb and mini usb connector.  I'll report back how it does, but currently still at 100% on the battery after 1 hr.  I have an extra battery, but this might be what gets me thru the day at the festy.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
I picked up 2 (two) of these off of Woot last week for $8.99 total for the two.  Arrived today and is currently plugged into my Thunderbolt which is a battery hog.  Comes with both micro usb and mini usb connector.  I'll report back how it does, but currently still at 100% on the battery after 1 hr.  I have an extra battery, but this might be what gets me thru the day at the festy.

Powered my battery hog Thunderbolt for about 4.5 hours on 2 Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA disposables.  No idea how fresh the batteries were - they came with the unit.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Rory I bought one of those Energizer things in an airport once during a phone emergency for an old Samsung flip phone.  It worked for an hour or two and would stop charging.  This happened no matter how fresh the batteries were.  I considered it a total waste of money and am suspicious to give it another shot.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »
My understanding is that it works better on a fully charged battery as opposed to charging a fully drained battery.  Not sure I expect more from 2-AA batteries.  I'll be interested to know your results with the MintyBoost kit.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
My understanding is that it works better on a fully charged battery as opposed to charging a fully drained battery.  Not sure I expect more from 2-AA batteries.  I'll be interested to know your results with the MintyBoost kit.

This makes perfect sense.  I guess I need to not run my phones battery down to empty, and instead keep it topped off during the day.  I'll post pics of my finished kit when it arrives.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Finally got the Mintyboost built and cased.  Extremely easy build.  I covered the inside of the altoids can with gaff tape.  Looks kinda ghetto but I was afraid of the bottom of the PC board shorting together inside the can.  The device works great charging my Motorola Droid and the girlfriend's iPhone 4.  It gets a little warm, nothing too bad and the gaff tape does a good job of "insulating" some of the heat.  I need to add some epoxy to the usb connector to make it rock solid.  It's a little flimsy now.

Would absolutely recommend this to anyone that isn't afraid of soldering.  It was super easy. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/100000562913989722761/MintyBoostBuild?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSsiLKhsq360AE&feat=directlink

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »

Use one of those for a MT-I and it does the trick BUT MT has to have charge and batteries need to be fresh in the external.  I would not depend on it for a two set show and change batteries at set break. 

Offline achalsey

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
I just grabbed one of these for 7 bucks w/ shipping for All Good.  Hoping its not as flimsy as it looks.

http://www.bgmicro.com/bh341usb.aspx

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
I just grabbed one of these for 7 bucks w/ shipping for All Good.  Hoping its not as flimsy as it looks.

http://www.bgmicro.com/bh341usb.aspx

That's what I got! As I mentioned, I haven't been able to power the iphone and  a cell phone I once had but it would work great for something like the usbpre2.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com