Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)  (Read 106326 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
starting page five for the sony pcm-m10.

part 5: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145955.0 (4 june 2011 -
part 4: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139638.0 (1 october 2010 - 4 june 2011)
part 3: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136665.0 (26 june 2010 - 1 october 2010)
part 2: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130924.0 (8 january 2010 - 26 june 2010)
part 1: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=124639.0 (19 july 2009 - 8 january 2010)

This is the FAQ/informational thread that contains most common questions and their answers: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147551.msg1891476
You may save a lot of time if you read this thread prior to posting your question. Please note that the FAQ/informational thread should not be flooded with new questions but input to the m10 is welcomed.

Edit for clock malfunction information update...
See this thread for updates/workaround on the clock issue with the pcm-m10: Sony PCM-M10 Set Clock FIX / WORKAROUND
Please post to the Sony PCM-M10 Set Clock FIX / WORKAROUND thread for any information related to it.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:35:44 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
In regards to real time clock discoveries, could someone just leave the recorder in sleep mode for months at a time and expect the clock to stay set?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:15:24 PM »
^^^ That so called problem is just a figment of our imagination, as it turns out... ;)

I am curious about kleiner Rainer's post on this at the end of part IV.  Has anyone ever had a similar issue with the D50 (since Rainer used the D50's schematics as a basis for his theory)?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
I never had a RTC issue with my D50!!  That was one of the reasons I hesitated to buy and M10. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
the clock issue is crazy on mine
i will go a few months without issue then other times (like last week) go a couple of hrs and have to reset it twice
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:36 AM »
i will go a few months without issue then other times (like last week) go a couple of hrs and have to reset it twice

Why not have sony fix it?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:28 AM »

Why not have sony fix it?
they wouldn't when i tried
they said IF they could duplicate the issue THEN they would give me a refurb
I wasn't about to let them hold onto it for what could be months to duplicate it when it really doesn't bother me to reset it before a show
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
My M-10 clock issue also comes and goes...  It's a recorder not a watch so I really don't give a shit.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
When I'm out doing nature recordings, having accurate time stamps on files is critical.  And trying to set the clock, in a swamp, getting bitten by flies, while balancing on a log... Not good.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31:08 PM »
When I'm out doing nature recordings, having accurate time stamps on files is critical.  And trying to set the clock, in a swamp, getting bitten by flies, while balancing on a log... Not good.

So everytime the record is turned off, it looses the time? What if you let it go to sleep, does it loose the time when you wake it up?

Offline wipeman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
I'm interested in kleiner Rainer's post. I'm having the clock issue at the moment, which started after a period of a few months without using the device (when I first got it I used it more often and never had the problem). I can leave my device plugged in over the weekend to see whether anything improves.

My question is whether I should leave it plugged in with the unit switched on or off. Which do we think will allow the internal battery to recharge?

EDIT: I re-read his post and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that he was saying that the internal battery charges when it is being used either on battery power or on mains power, and that when the unit it switched off then the internal battery is not charged. Furthermore, he says that it might be the case that the internal battery takes quite a long time to recharge.

I'm going to leave mine on sleep mode over the weekend and see whether I still get the "set clock" when I bring it out of sleep mode on Monday. At the moment I'm getting "set clock" every day so this would tell me whether the internal battery is draining while the unit is sleeping (as opposed to being switched off).

If the internal battery is being charged while on sleep mode then presumably it should be fully charged at this point (over 60 hours from now) so I will then try leaving the recorder switched off (not sleeping) for a week or so and see whether I still get "set clock" when I turn it back on.

Currently I'm not using the recorder much and am switching it on from time to time to keep a record of occurrences of "set clock" in order to keep Sony tech support informed. Hence I can use my unit to investigate kleiner Rainer's "educated guess" for which I thank him very much. If we can understand the problem we can hopefully work around it.

I'll share any findings on here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:25:41 AM by wipeman »

Offline wipeman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »
After 3 days on sleep mode the clock was still set when I woke the unit up this morning. I'm now testing whether having the unit "running" on sleep mode for a few days has done anything to charge the internal battery and stop the "set clock" happening (working on the assumption that the problem is due to the internal battery).

Will give it several days and see / report what happens.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
Recently, I recorded with a new Kingston microSD card (looks like the price went up $8 in the last few days) and things went just fine. 

I created a checksum file on the card for the WAVs with the card still inserted in the recorder (connected to lappy via USB) and the checksum ran fine.  The files were then transferred via USB from the recorder to the HD.  The checksum failed after the transfer.  The microSD card was then taken out of the recorder and the files were transferred to the computer via the included SD adapter, inserted into the lappy.  The checksum ran successfully. 

Has anyone experienced this?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline wipeman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:50:38 AM »
My set clock issue has gone away using kleiner Rainer's suggestion:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146385.msg1880365#msg1880365

:)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
My set clock issue has gone away using kleiner Rainer's suggestion:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146385.msg1880365#msg1880365

:)
This explains why sony's engineers were not able to duplicate the problem. It comes from NOT being used, and the units work fine if you just USE them! I can imagine the sony engineers leaving the units in sleep mode on their test bench, which solved the problem every time they went to look for it!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:02:11 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com