Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small UPS (power supply) recommendations?  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Small UPS (power supply) recommendations?
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
I just had a very bad experience with my r4's batteries dying in the middle of a recording.  Basically, I lost the files since the r4 didn't save the data before shutting down the hard drive.  This apparently has never happened before, because I've never lost a recording in the 4.5 years of running the r4.

I am going to be doing some more recording for hire in the next few weeks and my company has agreed to purchase a Uninterruptible Power Supply for the recording rig. It needs to be small and cheap, I saw some online that essentially looked like power strips which is what I would prefer rather than a tower unit.  I'm not looking for hours of run time after a potential power failure, but enough to stop the deck and save my data.  Honestly, less than 10 minutes of runtime would probably be fine for our purposes.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:34:55 PM by Patrick »
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Small UPS (power supply) recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
UPS' are typically associated with AC power not DC power.  Will you have access to AC?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:30:41 PM »
UPS' are typically associated with AC power not DC power.  Will you have access to AC?

yes, I forgot to mention this.  The UPS will be powering my R4, hard drives, and possibly a laptop or two.  This is for paid location recordings, not 'audience taping' so to speak.   
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »
Are you expecting a brown out?  How stable is the power in the area?  Would the PA/house loose power and thus loose amplification if power was lost, or is it all acoustic/ambient?

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:16 PM »
Are you expecting a brown out?  How stable is the power in the area?  Would the PA/house loose power and thus loose amplification if power was lost, or is it all acoustic/ambient?

I'm expecting all of these things and more.  :P  These would be amplified events but I cant lost another recording due to a power issue.  it's a potential loss of money over something easily prevented.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Most UPS' that I know don't run for hours at a time...generally long enough to power everything off and unplug the equipment...10-30 minutes depending on the load.

I think APC is the top brand and I imagine that's because they do a lot of marketing and been around awhile. This UPS selector: http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm looks pretty handy.

The UPS I have is an APC 1250 and I got it from an estate sale about a month ago. Its working very well but its a tower looking one and I imagine this kind is now discontinued. Even though it is an older one, it has an LCD that tells me things like the approximate runtime and input load. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
As the Shop Mgr at a lighting production company we used UPS in order to allow shutdown of computer driven light boards so that all the programing would not be lost in the event of the power going ouot (or being disconnected) to get a 30 minute window the UPS was a 4 unit high rack mount that weighed about 75 LBS.  The small lightweight ones give you a very small amount of time to do a shutdown. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
These would be amplified events but I cant lost another recording due to a power issue.  it's a potential loss of money over something easily prevented.

If the PA loses power what will you be recording?  You would just need UPS with enough capacity to handle all your connected gear for a short time to prevent a lost recording.  If the venue has a backup generator it still takes time for that to get up to speed and then for power to transfer over to it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:22:03 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
These would be amplified events but I cant lost another recording due to a power issue.  it's a potential loss of money over something easily prevented.

If the PA loses power what will you be recording?  You would just need UPS with enough capacity to handle all your connected gear for a short time to prevent a lost recording.  If the venue has a backup generator it still takes time for that to get up to speed and then for power to transfer over to it.

Honestly, I don't really care about the PA in this situation... but if the power goes out, a drunk patron trips over a taped down power cable, an engineer accidentally unplugs my power source, or a million other accidents that are bound to happen during a show....  I lose my recording and potentially future recording gigs.  All I need is a UPS that goes between house power and my recording deck, preamps, and hard drives, so thet I'll have enough time to stop the deck and save my recording. 

Thanks Kirk and rastasean for the info!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
I'd set up an power budget. How much do your recording devices, preamps, and external drives draw? That times time gives you your size requirements of your ups.

Remember, by their nature laptops have a built in UPS, the battery.

APC has this calculator. Most of your gear will use the misc device category.

Refurb units here are a good value.
http://www.uninterruptiblesolutions.com/smartups-rackmount-c-12.html?zenid=bho3h1064g5p00prn3ie8v8v32
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
R4, hard drives, and possibly a laptop or two

All these can be driven from an external DC source.  Why not use external high capacity batteries so that you are not dependent on any power source outside of your field kit? No one can unplug you and if you really expect issues like drunken patrons, the mobility of an untethered rig is something that might be useful.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 10:29:07 PM »

All these can be driven from an external DC source.  Why not use external high capacity batteries so that you are not dependent on any power source outside of your field kit? No one can unplug you and if you really expect issues like drunken patrons, the mobility of an untethered rig is something that might be useful.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »

I have a 2>1 battery cable for my R4 that a board member made for me.  I had the thought of using 1 leg of the cable for the AC adapter, and the other leg as a DVD battery backup.  I already enjoy the option of hotswapping batteries and I don't see why running two separate power supplies would be an issue.  Can anyone make an argument against doing this?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

If the AC adapter produces a DC voltage suited to both the external battery and the device, you could run them in parallel.  However, if you lose AC and draw battery power for long enough to drain the battery, your AC adapter will need to supply enough current to both drive the recorder and supply the charge current of the battery. If you over tax the AC adapter and it was designed properly, it should current limit or just shut down. If it isn't designed with those protections it might fail in a way that produces smoke and that isn't going to make your client happy. I would definitely test the fail over to battery and subsequent charging before heading into the field.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com