Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: beyer dt990 distortion after repad  (Read 4776 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
beyer dt990 distortion after repad
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
repadded some dt990's today. i am pretty sure they were working perfectly before changing the pads. now there is some distortion in the right speaker. i vacuumed the speakers before changing pads. could this have caused damage?

the only other thing i can think of is that  there is  a loose wire on the speaker, but i don't want to take the pad off just yet as it's a pain getting it on again.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: beyer dt990 distortion after repad
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
The vacuum could have certainly damaged the thin diaphragm. 

Good news is that Byer's customer service is awesome.  I sent my dt880's in for a similar issue and the sent a new pair (bench tested) back with the quickness. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Other than the damage, how are you liking those cans? I tried a pair the last time I was in NYC and the comfort/sound ratio was pretty damn good IMO. Only got a chance to try them for 5 minutes in B+H though.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
I like my 770's. Wondering if I should jump up to the 8 or 900 series.  ???
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24:02 AM »
i like them  a lot. i mixed about 7 albums on them. they are 14 years old and sound(ed) great. there are probably better, but since they sound so good i have never had any desire to go searching.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »
Other than the damage, how are you liking those cans? I tried a pair the last time I was in NYC and the comfort/sound ratio was pretty damn good IMO. Only got a chance to try them for 5 minutes in B+H though.

Ugh, that listening station is so worthless... Who knows what horrendous amp is behind the phones, and the music selection leaves uh, a lot to be desired.  Yes, B&H, I get it, these cans have lots of bass when listening to rap... this does me any good to know... why?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
now i'm not so sure i damaged the phones.

tried them out again hooked up to my netbook and though the netbook audio is not great there is no distortion.

i had listened on my cell phone last time (galaxy s) and those have some sort of proprietary audio jack. though i have used regular iem's on the phone with no problems. maybe there is an impedance issue since these are 600 ohm phones. i know there is a mismatch between both my phone and the netbook but i never noticed anything grossly wrong before.

still trying to figure this out. why would i only have problems on one channel if it is an impedance issue.

also if i damaged the driver it should sound a lot worse than it does, the distortion wasn't very pronounced and only happened on loud bass passages. is it possible there was a physical rattling of the speaker or other parts?

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
Could have been an impedance mismatch due to driver not having enough power to reproduce bass clearly, but given it only happened on one side and never before changing the pads, it's not the case here I think.  Another cause is, anything touching the driver while it maintains deep bass - which is hard to do - will likely cause trouble.  Things like hair or pieces of whatever you used for the vacuum (btw, don't do this again ...).  To check if that's the problem try to blow on it, to make the thing move.  Listen again with the particular recording you've had problem with (which you didn't have before).  If there's a hair inside then it might move and therefore makes distortion disappear, or to be more / less noticed.

I've read a thread on Head-Fi where a few people reported similar problems (link below).  A whole lot of solutions offered therein, also a few pictures that might be useful if you feel like opening the cup.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/218922/dt990-rattling-calling-beyer-experts

Don't mess with the drivers unless you're sure of what you're doing.  If you think you better not touch it any more, you can always send it back to Beyer.

Good luck !

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
update...

i replaced the driver, but maybe didn't even need to. the phones have worked ok but still rattle with a lot of bass. finally today found the cause of it... cracked plastic shell that holds the right driver. can this be repaired with superglue/epoxy or are they toast?

doesn't look like beyer sells the actual housings, just pads and such.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com